Turn on thread page Beta

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    They quite often put things like that on their facebook page, can be quite interesting! I'm variable but ok at the minute (and hyper as I just said to IDukem ) which is good You?

Yeah, do that too, I never notice :getmecoat: Did you really mean elf tit though? :lol: Well done! Yeah but you still did it :yep: Any particular education or just general?

It can be, it's also realllly bad the next day though if I've been too hyper the day before :sadnod: I would though, I didn't know the person that well but the whole extended family are there except my cousins and sister and we're doing other stuff while we're in the area too, they're talking about going to the pub afterwards now too which will make it even more awkward and long My dad said that if I'm too ill (physical, they don't know about mental ) I don't have to go but everyone will be annoyed/upset if I don't and be asking me about it for months so I kind of have to :hide:

Sorry, bit of a rant there
    Thanks :hugs: glad you are ok. im not really good. seem to be getting worse by the minute too, which always happens

ReputationRep:
    head is falling apart so so badly
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ScaryScience)
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    first day of a new job today and i had bad anxiet issues. . Literally feel like i'm not adapted to function like a human being atm. Not able to work. Will have to see how next new days go before deciding whether to pack it in or not!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks :hugs: glad you are ok. im not really good. seem to be getting worse by the minute too, which always happens
    Feel free to PM me if you want to, not sure as I'll be able to help at all but I'm always willing to try or happy to just be ranted at if that helps you (same goes for anyone on here) :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! :hugs:

Hope everyone is doing well!

I feel like I have social anxiety as I really dread social situations where there are many people around and always feel like people are looking at me for whatever reason. This has been a problem for a while but I am only seeing it properly now as I started university and never feel like going to the canteen to eat due to these reasons. My mum, in particular, always tells me to go to the shops on my own or do stuff on my own but I can't do it when there are loads of people around, I just feel odd and terrible.

What is the best thing for me to do regarding this issue? Is this even social anxiety or am I making a big deal out of nothing? Should I go to my GP? I still don't think my mum will understand that this is what it is and it isn't always down to laziness as to why I don't like going out on my own.

Thank you.

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    I'm looking for a bit of advice too guys
    I think I have some form of anxiety/stress related problem, but it ebbs and flows so much I'm not sure if it's actually a thing... I don't want to go to my GP because my parents don't know it's a problem, but I just feel really under pressure a lot of the time, in the mornings I feel really anxious for no reason and it sometimes means I can't eat breakfast and feel ill, I tend to overreact to build ups of hwk and deadlines, and I just feel generally stressed and worried about everything...

Any advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)

I feel like I have social anxiety as I really dread social situations where there are many people around and always feel like people are looking at me for whatever reason. This has been a problem for a while but I am only seeing it properly now as I started university and never feel like going to the canteen to eat due to these reasons. My mum, in particular, always tells me to go to the shops on my own or do stuff on my own but I can't do it when there are loads of people around, I just feel odd and terrible.

What is the best thing for me to do regarding this issue? Is this even social anxiety or am I making a big deal out of nothing? Should I go to my GP? I still don't think my mum will understand that this is what it is and it isn't always down to laziness as to why I don't like going out on my own.

Thank you.

Hey there,

How are you doing in lectures? I guess if this thing is stopping you from going to the canteen it sounds like it might be quite a big problem. You need to eat, and avoiding it because of a fear of people sounds a lot like social anxiety. The good news is that there are therapies (such as CBT) and medication (such as SSRIs) that can help you stop it having such a large impact on your life. Your first stop should be to talk to your GP who can refer you to talk therapy (although given it's the NHS there are significant waiting lists). You could check out your university's counseling service, you could talk to someone there or they might have group therapy/workshops on dealing with this kind of anxiety. In the meantime, there's an online CBT course called Moodgym which you could try.

Hope this helps. Good luck man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Hey there,

How are you doing in lectures? I guess if this thing is stopping you from going to the canteen it sounds like it might be quite a big problem. You need to eat, and avoiding it because of a fear of people sounds a lot like social anxiety. The good news is that there are therapies (such as CBT) and medication (such as SSRIs) that can help you stop it having such a large impact on your life. Your first stop should be to talk to your GP who can refer you to talk therapy (although given it's the NHS there are significant waiting lists). You could check out your university's counseling service, you could talk to someone there or they might have group therapy/workshops on dealing with this kind of anxiety. In the meantime, there's an online CBT course called Moodgym which you could try.

Hope this helps. Good luck man.
    In lectures I just sit and listen, don't talk to anyone at all really. There are a few people I have met on my course that are okayish but they already have friends and so its hard, but even in the lecture hall I try not to make eye contact with the other students when walking to a free seat. Yeah, I have been at uni for 2 weeks (on saturday) and have been to dinner like twice and other than that haven't been eating dinner at all really.

The thing is that I have a problem with confidence too so I am not sure if all this stuff is due to my confidence issue or if it is anxiety or both?

I have heard of CBT and studied it at A-Level and yeah gonna think about taking the course.

Will check out my uni service too.

Thank you it did help!

ReputationRep:
    just found a job post in a local school that sounds perfect for me, but im terrified of applying. urgh.

ReputationRep:
    everything is just going wrong right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    just found a job post in a local school that sounds perfect for me, but im terrified of applying. urgh.
    GO FOR IT! It is really difficult to find something which sounds perfect and if you wait too long, you will apply to anything, so rather applying now. You know, you can do it! We know it!

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to PM me if you want to, not sure as I'll be able to help at all but I'm always willing to try or happy to just be ranted at if that helps you (same goes for anyone on here) :hugs:
    thanks, that's really kind. same goes to you, too :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Team_McDreamy)
    no need to apologise hun

tbh i didn't even know dysthymia existed until this week! and it does seem like a very fuzzy line between dysthymia and depression, and i think it probably depends on your attitude towards it? i dunno.

it's interesting because i had always just considered myself an introvert, "not a people person", not very into sports or drama clubs or whatever, a naturally anxious person, that kind of thing, but thinking back, from around 13 to 15 was when i started withdrawing from everything. i stopped swimming - something i had done several times a week since i was like, 5 or 6. i stopped going out with my friends - so i could 'study'. i quit choir, piano lessons and quit guides all because i wasn't interested in it any more. i stopped doing my homework even though i was a bright girl who enjoyed school, because although i had 'dreams' i didn't really have any motivation left.
    arguably i could say i started showing signs at 13? but because i don't feel like i was, i wouldn't say i was 'dysthymic' until i was 15 and i really started the isolation. or maybe that was mild depression? /brainvomit.

its all very interesting, i think but its all too easy to read too much into it too
    Yeah I don't know and for some reason NHS don't have a page on it :dontknow:

That's quite odd Especially looking back/when you've got more of an understanding about things? No I really don't know what the difference between it and mild depression is, though I don't even know if I'm that so

Yeah probably :/

A la your recent post: mega :jumphug: - you are lovely and awesome :hugs: Sorry you feel things are going downhill :console:

(Original post by lauraaaaa)
    :lol: i think i'll give it a whirl when i come home from uni at easter because it'll be lighter then and ill have quite a bit of time going 50+ always kinda scares me though cos i feel like im not in control of the car, even though i am
    yeah it took three hours to do my hair, but it's looking a lot better, even if the woman on the reception desk had a go at me for being five minutes early
    i haven't started packing yet but i have most things laid out ready to be packed, so i think ill do it tomorrow afternoon :') i can't waaaaait to do more stationary shopping! I wish i could afford expensive and pretty stationary haha, im too obsessed
    you don't have a toaster? my accommodation comes with one, but I've also bought a sandwich toaster (in lime green too actually hmm..maybe im liking lime green recently :lol:) *hands over toaster*
    That's true Yeah tbf going up there in new smaller car was quite scary, but once you're there for a bit get used to it quite quickly? Motorway was scary once you properly thought about it - being in a massive box of metal hurtling along next to other boxes of metal But you can ignore that

That's ages :eek: Glad it's looking better what?! That's ridiculous - 5 minutes early is like the perfect time to arrive for something :mad:
    I found it didn't take too long - like a long evening/half day I guess? Hope it's gone okay - are you moving in this weekend? Haha

Not yet - yeah last year they did, but in a house now - we'll get one soon/once everyone gets here - though someone's dropped out!!! :eek: They failed their resits which is a shame :sad: (hadn't even realised they had resits to do) so they're not back for next year which is sad He was a new person/someone we'd not properly met, apart from 2 times when he was deciding or something. But we're had the worst luck with it There were 5 of us, then before we found a house someone said they were switching Uni's/reapplying, then when we signed a 4-bed house, the 4th person decided that they were changing Uni's, and now this person! :eek: Must be something about us :erm: :ninja:

Sandwich toasters are good - I think the person who's not here yet (but who is staying ) has a george foreman grill thing - so will use that for toasties
    *takes toaster* thanks :lol:

That's partway there then! Go tomorrow :yep: They sound it! I've never had any either, only used them when I was recording and stuff at school although they do seem nice :eek: I did in the end, not tried it yet though.

Hope so, I don't want everyone to leave Not been great today at all, but then I did a ridiculous amount yesterday so it's my own fault really Just had an email asking if I want to play tenor sax in a jazz group thing, always wanted to try tenor :excited: Scared about going though and not sure if I'll be able to breathe well enough for it Also managed to make myself go to a choir thing last night that someone's been trying to persuade me to do for agesss, it was good even though I somehow ended up singing the tenor (male) part :lol:

Good that you're a bit better! Not sure what I'd do with that if I'm honest, is there another GP you could talk to? Or other uni people? Or just carry on as you are, but you shouldn't really have to do that

I guess so! It doesn't matter if you end up writing too much if you enjoy/don't mind doing it, there's much worse things to spend your time doing I've never managed it, not tried for a while though- might google how later How fast can you do it?
    Didn't go :sad: Need to soon, but just wasn't in any sort of mood too even if it probs would've helped... :/
    "They *sound* it"!? see watcha did there :ahee: Good

Sorry you've not been so great :console: oo awesome! Are you usually on an alto sax? Bigger instrument = more important in orchestra/jazz group :yep: (tenor sax is bigger, right? I think it is :ninja:)
    I hope it goes okay when it comes along :hugs:
    oo well done! Hoping to do choir this year too - didn't last year :sad: Haha I really wish I could sing soprano :sad: Used to be able to when I was younger/pre year 9-10 or something. Am a baritone now I think (:dontknow:) What do you normally sing?

Yeah I think there are others, think I'm going to make appointment with MH guy (seen him once before, he's a psychologist I think? works in student support MH services) GP said to do that at least/I ought to. Well I sort of mean carrying on as I planned/with trying to get better - got group therapy starting in a month or so I think. Today's not been good though sadly and yesterday was Kinda confused/worried about what's going to happen now. Sorry, anyway...

Yeah I suppose so Though often end up writing before bed or something and keep writing for too long/just get tired There's some good youtube tutorials :yep: can link you the one I used if you like - gets easier too to write down the algorithms and then you can practice off a small set of instructions until you learn them Did some times today when hiding in my room (:hide: ) - managed 53s (:smug: :lol:) though usually get about 1m20 or something I guess? Is good fun :yep:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    thanks, that's really kind. same goes to you, too :hugs:

---

Panda, it won't let me quote you for some reason but as Nathanielle said, go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I am completely knackered had a bush four hours at work and then went toff to college in the evening and now I can finally rest. Got a big day tomorrow I gr assignment to finish and some psychology and English literature reading to do big day ahead

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    stop stop stoppppp with the thoughts brain, please for one night leave me alone

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know how to upload music to an ipod? :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Hey peeps!

Turns out this whole PhD malarkey is gonna be a lot more work and structured than I thought. My supervisor (who's very nice but a bit scary!) wants to see me every 2 weeks :eek:

This is gonna mean much less TSR time, including availability to check up on people and ability to have PM conversations or extended chats on Facebook :sad: From now on, looks like text is gonna be the best way to get at me! :yes:
    :jumphug: Saw a post randomly pop up from you in "latest posts". Sorry you're finding it difficult :sad: (If I read correctly was on phone at the time)
    I hope it goes well for you though :hugs:

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Haha no worries! .
    Thanks!
    Awww :hugs:. Glad it is in the more ok side though!
    :hugs: Todays been worse sadly, but will see how things pan out once lectures start

What part of going out with friends are you nervous about? (sorry if this is too late for any help regarding that )
    I can definitely relate to getting anxious about seeing friends/going to a house - always semi-hate parties just because you can't easily escape/get away when you need it, and always people about talking/being loud
    If it's happened then I hope it went okay :hugs:

(Original post by tasha96)
    Theyre talking about hospital again. :bawling:
    :jumphug:

(Original post by IDukem)
    I'm so bad at remembering names now-a-days :lol:
    Been odd coming back I keep having to wait a second before getting some people's names - and I've known them for a year! :facepalm:
    Hope Uni's still going good

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Oh damn, I have sports team try-outs tonight. ****ing terrified about it. I feel sick, I have a headache...I'm just really dreading this. I don't even know why I'm so scared. Brain...why you no make sense?
    Hope it goes well/your brain calms down a bit Do you have many strategies for beforehand to calm you down a bit? I found with exams that pacing and breathing helped a bit - and telling yourself out loud (quietly ) it's going to be okay

(Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Hi everyone
    :hi:

:jumphug: am around if you need to vent or anything :hugs:

(Original post by rock_climber86)
    first day of a new job today and i had bad anxiet issues. . Literally feel like i'm not adapted to function like a human being atm. Not able to work. Will have to see how next new days go before deciding whether to pack it in or not!
    Maybe see how the first two weeks go and then think back over it/decide then?
    I mean it depends, and I don't know, but some of the anxiety stuff might calm down once you get more settled there? Which job is this? Hope tomorrow goes okay :hugs:

(Original post by moment of truth)

Thank you.

Hi! Welcome to the thread!

I'd say GP would be a good call possibly - sounds as though it's affecting you, especially with starting Uni, so important to try and get help soon?

When you say to go/do stuff on your own - would you feel less anxious/be more able to if you agreed with a friend (even if just a vague friend, seeing as you've just started ) to meet at the canteen for meals? (I always find I'm more likely to go to something if I've agreed with someone) or would that just lead to going to the canteen, but feeling dreadful/on edge all the time while there? Just a small thought, might not be helpful at all

(Original post by Gingerbread101)
    I'm looking for a bit of advice too guys
    I think I have some form of anxiety/stress related problem, but it ebbs and flows so much I'm not sure if it's actually a thing... I don't want to go to my GP because my parents don't know it's a problem, but I just feel really under pressure a lot of the time, in the mornings I feel really anxious for no reason and it sometimes means I can't eat breakfast and feel ill, I tend to overreact to build ups of hwk and deadlines, and I just feel generally stressed and worried about everything...

Any advice would be appreciated
    I guess could you go to your GP at some point under the guise of doing something else? Your GP wouldn't tell your parents unless they absolutely had to, and think it's possibly best port of call maybe? :dontknow: )
    Otherwise do you have a school counsellor or Uni counselling service that you could go to? (if you're at school or Uni ) They shouldn't tell your parents either unless it were absolutely necessary.

Sorry I don't have much more advice Will have a think too

Welcome to the thread though

(Original post by PandaWho)
    That sounds cool I'd say go for it too though I know it's scary to.

(Original post by guitaristemily)
    everything is just going wrong right now
    :hugs: I'm sorry to hear about your panic attacks today
    lots of hugs :penguinhug:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.