The Liverpool FC Thread XIV Watch

This discussion is closed.
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
What do people think our main priorities are this summer?
I was speaking to my brother (who doesn't support a PL team so is relatively unbiased) and he thinks we need an entirely new core - GK, CB, CDM and ST.

Personally I think GK for sure - Butland or ter Stegen if we're lucky and want to pay around 20m, although I'd be happy with the likes of Leno or Horn for around 10m.

I'm actually content with our CBs, especially with Matip coming in. He's yet to be proven but Sakho and Lovren are looking really good and we still have Skrtel anyway if something happens. I'd rather us sell Moreno and use an additional 10m to buy another LB - Adriano from Barca perhaps?

I think we'd benefit more from a top quality CM than a CDM tbh. Somebody who can link up midfield and attack but do it with quality - we have players like Henderson and Milner who will run all day but I don't think either have the quality to be the main link for us.

The main thing I reckon we need is a ST. I think we need to look at who's available and spend the majority of our budget on one. Say we have 100m to spend - 50m on a ST, 30m on a CM, 10m on a LB and 10m on a GK, and that isn't even factoring in the highly likely sales of Balotelli and Benteke. We definitely have the money this summer to build an entirely new core and provided Klopp has the pull to attract the players, next season could be a really interesting one for us.
For me a winger is more of a priority over a striker tbh, we need someone to stretch defences. We are sort of set upfront with Sturridge, Ings, Origi and we have Firimino who can play as a false 9.
Lúcio
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by samir12)
For me a winger is more of a priority over a striker tbh, we need someone to stretch defences. We are sort of set upfront with Sturridge, Ings, Origi and we have Firimino who can play as a false 9.
Actually completely forgot about Ings to be honest. Really glad we have him.

I just think we've really been lacking a main guy up front to consistently get us the goals so perhaps it's just natural for fans to scream for a striker.

You do have a point though - I think Marco Reus would absolutely be the perfect signing for us. Perhaps it's a little unrealistic but he's so versatile and could pretty much play wherever we needed him to. I suppose we always have an outside chance of signing any Dortmund/German player who isn't going to a top, top club. We have the money, why not give it a go?
samir12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Actually completely forgot about Ings to be honest. Really glad we have him.

I just think we've really been lacking a main guy up front to consistently get us the goals so perhaps it's just natural for fans to scream for a striker.

You do have a point though - I think Marco Reus would absolutely be the perfect signing for us. Perhaps it's a little unrealistic but he's so versatile and could pretty much play wherever we needed him to. I suppose we always have an outside chance of signing any Dortmund/German player who isn't going to a top, top club. We have the money, why not give it a go?
Can't see Reus coming to us, Gotze is probably more realistic due to not being a starter and his relationship with Klopp but even that is hopeful. Just remembered that we have Markovic to come back too, Klopp could make use of him and bring out his potential, he has pace and width that we are lacking going forward.
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by samir12)
Can't see Reus coming to us, Gotze is probably more realistic due to not being a starter and his relationship with Klopp but even that is hopeful.
Yeah, I admit Reus and Aubameyang are both unrealistic but with the link to Dortmund, they're also not impossible. That being said, they both have enough quality to be at a much better club that Liverpool.

I don't think Götze is unrealistic. Not at all. He struggles to get games at Bayern and he had spoken frequently about his positive relationship with Klopp. Shell out 30-40m and I see no reason why we couldn't get him to be honest.
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For the summer:

- A new goalkeeper.
- A new centre-back (Matip).
- An aggressive, technically gifted defensive midfielder.
- Bring back Markovic to give us an option on the wing (Klopp has discussed our lack of quality in that area).
- A top class addition to the AM, to play alongside Coutinho and Firmino.

I wouldn't mind a new left-back, either.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
I think the point is that where a team players better and creates more chances, they are statistically more likely to win. It's just a linear extrapolation of common sense.

The issue with disputing specific events is you can't tell the knock-on effect on the rest of the game.

If we hadn't gotten the penalty, would Liverpool been so up for it? Would we have dominated the game or would Man Utd gotten more into it? Flip side is without that event we might have battered you 5-0 (just because no one can tell what would've happened).

It's like us saying - yea but without DDG, we would've won 3-0/5-0. Maybe/maybe not but we were still the better team by miles.
That's true, there's a small chance it could've had the reverse effect. But you can't possibly argue that conceding a goal is a good thing, so the point stands. Maybe it's only a 90% likelihood that the goal had a negative effect rather than 100%, but that's still us being cheated, on balance.

Final sentence - it's not really, because having a good player is a legitimate way of winning football games, scoring offside goals isn't.
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
For the summer:

- A new goalkeeper.
- A new centre-back (Matip).
- An aggressive, technically gifted defensive midfielder.
- Bring back Markovic to give us an option on the wing (Klopp has discussed our lack of quality in that area).
- A top class addition to the AM, to play alongside Coutinho and Firmino.

I wouldn't mind a new left-back, either.
Do you think we'd do better with a new CAM (Götze) or a new ST instead (if we sold Benteke, Balotelli and possibly Sturridge?)

GK, LB and CAM/ST are the big ones for me. I wouldn't mind if we only got those because I feel like our side would be worlds apart of our current one with the addition in just those 3 positions. I'm not sure Klopp has always been a big spender but I'm sure he understands with how competitive things are, this is the time to buy.
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
That's true, there's a small chance it could've had the reverse effect. But you can't possibly argue that conceding a goal is a good thing, so the point stands. Maybe it's only a 90% likelihood that the goal had a negative effect rather than 100%, but that's still us being cheated, on balance.

Final sentence - it's not really, because having a good player is a legitimate way of winning football games, scoring offside goals isn't.
Can you please just stop with the salt now. Stop looking for an excuse to justify things when you lose and just accept you were beaten.

Jesus man, we're closer to the second bloody leg...
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Can you please just stop with the salt now. Stop looking for an excuse to justify things when you lose and just accept you were beaten.

Jesus man, we're closer to the second bloody leg...
We were beaten regardless of the wrong decision in question so how have i not accepted it

Right the second leg whose complexion has completely changed as a result of the decision

Go back to bed
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
We were beaten regardless of the wrong decision in question so how have i not accepted it

Right the second leg whose complexion has completely changed as a result of the decision

Go back to bed
You haven't accepted it because 5 days later you're still arguing about it...

BREAKING NEWS: Games of football change based on referee decisions.

You don't know it would've finished if it were called offside.
We were happy with 2-0 but if it were 1-0 we could've pushed you harder and gotten another anyway. At this point it's all speculation and wishful thinking so there's no point talking about it.

I'm up for work you melt. I actually have a job you see
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
You haven't accepted it because 5 days later you're still arguing about it...

BREAKING NEWS: Games of football change based on referee decisions.

You don't know it would've finished if it were called offside.
We were happy with 2-0 but if it were 1-0 we could've pushed you harder and gotten another anyway. At this point it's all speculation and wishful thinking so there's no point talking about it.

I'm up for work you melt. I actually have a job you see
The decision didn't affect whether we lost so I've clearly accepted the loss regardless.........

That's so obviously not a valid argument, as I've said already to Zerf
Brb it doesn't matter that you had 4 players unfairly sent off and then lost 9-0, maybe it didn't actually affect anything!!!!
The overwhelming likelihood is that conceding a goal was a bad thing for us (fuking obviously)

didn't realise Lloyds paid you 39k to post on tsr for an hour 3 hours before work starts!!
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
The decision didn't affect whether we lost so I've clearly accepted the loss regardless.........

Brb it doesn't matter that you had 4 players unfairly sent off and then lost 9-0, maybe it didn't actually affect anything!!!!
The overwhelming likelihood is that conceding a goal was a bad thing for us (fuking obviously)

didn't realise Lloyds paid you 39k to post on tsr for an hour 3 hours before work starts!!
No it didn't but you're gonna use it as justification if you lose the entire tie.

It is valid. You don't have a clue how the nature of the match would have progressed had we not scored. Could've gone either way but that fact is that it didn't so just accept it. Yes it was offside but you're saying it like this is the first decision you've ever seen against your team...

I don't start work at 9:47am you melt.
Considering it takes an hour to commute, it's called being prepared u fool!!
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Goodbye, Ian. Make sure to come back on your Harley at some stage, won't you?
(Original post by Lúcio)
Thank God!!!
Well he's not going until end of 2017 so he's still got 2 more transfer windows he can ruin..
Zerforax
Rep:
?
(Original post by difeo)

How are you still bitter about this result? You're the only one who seems to think Man Utd deserved to still be in the tie.

Some people think it wasn't a penalty but plenty of people think it was too.

While Henderson was offside for the cross, Carrick had an easy opportunity to clear the ball. His mistake was a bigger contribution to conceding the goal.

But you know, Man Utd have never had a debatable/wrong decision go in their favour..
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Do you think we'd do better with a new CAM (Götze) or a new ST instead (if we sold Benteke, Balotelli and possibly Sturridge?)

GK, LB and CAM/ST are the big ones for me. I wouldn't mind if we only got those because I feel like our side would be worlds apart of our current one with the addition in just those 3 positions. I'm not sure Klopp has always been a big spender but I'm sure he understands with how competitive things are, this is the time to buy.
We won't sell Sturridge. I don't think Benteke will be a Liverpool player come August, so we obviously need another face to compliment Sturridge/Origi. Of course, if the former is injured, we need a high profile striker.

I'd make a CAM the priority out of the two right now. Firmino is capable of playing up top and leading the line (in fact, I actually think he looks better in an advanced/faux-striker position) and his numbers are stacking up. Eight goals in 2016 so far.
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think a CAM is particularly a priority, we already have Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana. Obviously if we got Gotze I wouldn't be complaining as it would add a bit more quality to the team, but he's a similar type of player to the other three. I'm more interested in getting a winger who will run in behind defences and will also get to the byline and put balls in as it would add something different to what we already have, giving us a different option. Probably a right sided winger due to the limited attacking ability of Clyne/Flanagan at RB. I don't think Ibe can give us that option as he is a one trick pony. Markovic could be that player but I wouldn't be relying on it so I'd still be looking to bring someone in. I just don't wanna see Milner regularly playing wide for us again next season.

As for a striker, again it is not a priority. If we can get someone new on Sturridge's level then great, but as we've seen and as the likes of Arsenal have seen, that is extremely difficult to do at the moment, which is what led to us taking a risk on Benteke. Our problems scoring earlier in the season, were partly down to an injury crisis with our strikers and partly because we tried to prevail with Benteke for too long. Since then we've been doing alright and whilst Sturridge may not always be available, the likes of Origi, Ings and Firmino have proven to be able deputies because they suit the way we play. As I say, if we can find someone near Sturridge's level who suits us, then go for it (I'd love to see us playing a diamond again). However I doubt that will happen, and there is no point buying any more players on the level of Ings or Origi.

I want to see a new quality centre mid personally, Henderson and Can need some competition which Allen and Lucas, whilst good squad players to have around, they don't really offer that. Obviously we have Grujic coming in who could well prove to be that player, but as I said with Markovic I wouldn't be relying on it.

In defence I don't think we need any more CB's. Lovren and Sakho are starting to show that they are developing a good partnership and obviously we already have Matip coming in so I think we're okay for now. Our biggest problem defensively is still set pieces which just changing the CB's wont solve. Obviously we need a new LB though, I don't need to say why. Preferably somebody who can threaten in attack to make up for Clyne/Flanagan on the other side.

So yea my priorities are a winger, CM and LB. After that we can look at getting a GK and a top quality AM/ST. On our day we are already capable of great performances, our problem is consistency so we don't need to go making wholesale changes, just add a little diversity and depth to the squad and maybe a bit more star quality.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
- new striker (like Lacazette) who is a like-for-like with Sturridge
- new right winger who has pace and is quality
- new CM to give more depth (not convinced Henderson/Can/Allen/Lucas is enough depth/quality)
- new backup RB (unless we are deciding one of Flanagan, Wisdom or Gomez are good enough) but ideally one who can attack
- new LB who can defend
- new CB to be 4th choice? Assuming Toure/Ilori/Caulker/Skrtel aren't good enough or too expensive in the latter case or we could use Lucas as 4th choice CM and 4th choice CB?
- new GK to compete with Mignolet

Probably means shifting quite a few out but I think Klopp will be ruthless..
mr tim
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Liverpool v Everton rearranged for 20 April
Liverpool v Chelsea on 11 May.
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
- new striker (like Lacazette) who is a like-for-like with Sturridge
- new right winger who has pace and is quality
- new CM to give more depth (not convinced Henderson/Can/Allen/Lucas is enough depth/quality)
- new backup RB (unless we are deciding one of Flanagan, Wisdom or Gomez are good enough) but ideally one who can attack
- new LB who can defend
- new CB to be 4th choice? Assuming Toure/Ilori/Caulker/Skrtel aren't good enough or too expensive in the latter case or we could use Lucas as 4th choice CM and 4th choice CB?
- new GK to compete with Mignolet

Probably means shifting quite a few out but I think Klopp will be ruthless..
Klopp has suggested Markovic has a future, so I can see that sorting out your second point.

I'd expect Ibe, Benteke and Allen to leave.

I wouldn't be adverse to seeing Skrtel become the Kolo Toure of the squad (if he's willing).
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Klopp has suggested Markovic has a future, so I can see that sorting out your second point.

I'd expect Ibe, Benteke and Allen to leave.

I wouldn't be adverse to seeing Skrtel become the Kolo Toure of the squad (if he's willing).
I don't think Markovic is good enough yet though. Personally I'd like a match winning RW who can start every game (and demote Milner/Lallana to the bench).

Maybe we send Ibe on loan again to see if he can develop some more? There's a decent player in there and Klopp seems to like him. Feel bad for Allen - I wouldn't be adverse to keeping him if we can't find a better alternative. He's not a bad player.

I think Skrtel's wages will be too high to keep him as 4th choice. He must be on 75-90k a week?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (182)
18.88%
No (581)
60.27%
Not really bothered about them (201)
20.85%

Watched Threads