Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    For those who don't have to plan 48 hrs in advance - do you frequently do it the night before? I couldn't do that! I don't have to hand mine in in advance but I generally have things planned a week in advance. All of next week's lessons are planned for me, and then next week I'll be planning the week after. I can't leave things to last minute, it makes me anxious!
    I didn't have to hand in my plans but I thought it was helpful to plan and have basic resources for every lesson by the Friday before. Flipcharts and printing of resources was left til the night before but I don't think I will do that on my next placement as it was stressful making them the night before.

ReputationRep:
    Planning a lesson doesn't take that much time. It's creating the resources that does. My placement wants all lesson plans+resources created 48 hours in advance. In my first placement, I used to plan lesson and create resources the night before lesson and that was stressful to say the least.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else struggling to throw in a plenary to every lesson? I'm planning them but finding pupils aren't making the progress I expect so it's all just getting lost in there.

(Original post by tory88)
    I find it useful to plan the lesson as normal, but then make the resources and powerpoints in front of the television at home. Provided you plan rigorously, the production of everything else is just time consuming, and so it seems much less like work if you're doing it in front of the television.
    That's exactly how I do it too. Many an evening I've been marathoning some sort of tv show while laminating and guillotining makes it all seem a lot less painful.

(Original post by Samus2)
    I've been planning in the 20 minutes or so in the morning before...
    Totally did that this morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    You'll know you're a real teacher when you make it up as you turn the door handle into the classroom...
    Haha! Yep, agreed entirely.

'miss, what are we doing next lesson?'

'you'll find out next lesson.' (aka I have no idea yet, ask again in 20 minutes)

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh, barely passed my second essay. Got a month to resubmit it but I feel as though my links were somewhat tenuous to begin with anyways so I'm not sure how I'm going to bump it up by 8 marks...

ReputationRep:
    Got a dilemma. My previous placement school has put an advert up for two teachers. However, the wording of the advert totally excludes me, because they're looking for a 'consistently good' teacher. At this point I can't say that about myself, and they will know this. Would it be a total waste of ink to apply anyway? I feel like there is no point in applying (my fiancé believes the wording was meant to discourage me) but I loved being at the school and have always said I'd apply if a job came up.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Would agree but my school expects lesson plan and all resources/powerpoints and seating plan changes to be submitted 48 hours before the day its taught so i end up having to do everything at the same point.
    I teach secondary science, so we need to request practicals on the Wednesday before the week of the lesson, and it's difficult to know when a practical will work best without basically planning the lesson, so I don't really have to worry about that sort of thing. Plus, I hate working to deadlines...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Got a dilemma. My previous placement school has put an advert up for two teachers. However, the wording of the advert totally excludes me, because they're looking for a 'consistently good' teacher. At this point I can't say that about myself, and they will know this. Would it be a total waste of ink to apply anyway? I feel like there is no point in applying (my fiancé believes the wording was meant to discourage me) but I loved being at the school and have always said I'd apply if a job came up.
    I think most schools would request a 'consistently good' teacher... I doubt it's a personal discouragement. There's no harm in applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I think most schools would request a 'consistently good' teacher... I doubt it's a personal discouragement. There's no harm in applying.
    Thanks. I was rated pretty badly by that school though. I'm just worried they'll see my application and laugh! My next application is due in the next few days so I guess I'll finish that and make a decision then.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I was rated pretty badly by that school though. I'm just worried they'll see my application and laugh! My next application is due in the next few days so I guess I'll finish that and make a decision then.
    I agree with Samus2. Give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing to lose! I really doubt they would bother wording something so a certain person wouldn't apply. lots of ads say they need an 'outstanding teacher' - if everyone they employed was outstanding then there would be a hell of a lot of 'outstanding' teachers - whatever it means.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Pupil trails will be the death of me.

I just want to plan for the rest of this week

ReputationRep:
    I think today has been my final straw.
    My tutor came in and it seems that my mentor at school doesnt think overly highly of me and when i went to talk through things with her after the meeting it just made the whole relationship go really sour.
    Im fed up with crying constantly and feeling inadequate , im almost 30 and had a far more chilled out life working in an office. Ive sobbed down the phone to my mum and sobbed at my husband and both have said if its making me feel this bad i shouldnt be doing it. just need to find a job!

ReputationRep:
    I think today has been my final straw.
    My tutor came in and it seems that my mentor at school doesnt think overly highly of me and when i went to talk through things with her after the meeting it just made the whole relationship go really sour.
    Im fed up with crying constantly and feeling inadequate , im almost 30 and had a far more chilled out life working in an office. Ive sobbed down the phone to my mum and sobbed at my husband and both have said if its making me feel this bad i shouldnt be doing it. just need to find a job!
    I just want to give you such a big hug. Can't do any more than that. Wish I could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I just want to give you such a big hug. Can't do any more than that. Wish I could.
    Thanks hun, morally im keeping working until i can sort out what to do moving forward with my uni tutor but the last thing i want to do is plan lessons at the moment, sadly got two to do for tomorrow than are being taught friday so just have to keep slogging away!

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to explain that feeling of the teaching dread - it's very specific. I have been where you are and things got better. Planning the night before when you're feeling down is the worst as there is no motivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    It's hard to explain that feeling of the teaching dread - it's very specific. I have been where you are and things got better. Planning the night before when you're feeling down is the worst as there is no motivation.
    You are very right. That's why I think this thread is so very important.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks hun, morally im keeping working until i can sort out what to do moving forward with my uni tutor but the last thing i want to do is plan lessons at the moment, sadly got two to do for tomorrow than are being taught friday so just have to keep slogging away!
    I completely understand. What are your thoughts on actually doing the job when you finish?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about that. If you would like the job and have time, apply. If they feel you aren't ready for that position yet they won't invite you to interview. Nothing lost!

Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit annoyed. I don't know how many hours you lot are supposed to be up to, but I am supposed to do 10-12. I am on placement at a school that is a school direct school and there's six other trainees there doing school direct (still with my uni). They do 12 hours over four days, I do 12 hours over five days. So I have an advantage in that I get more frees. They are in conferences on Fridays.

My professional mentor today said that the school direct trainees are on much more closer to a fuller timetable than me, so they may add hours to my timetable. I think this is really unfair because I am supposed to do 12, just like them, and it is not my fault my PGCE is structured so that I am in on Fridays. It is an advantage that I have over SD, and I want to keep it. Yet at the same time I feel I would look bad if I complain. :dontknow:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.