Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    As an international student, I'm glad that Cambridge interviews more people. I know that I've got more of a chance of demonstrating my ability at interview and securing a offer (giving a higher proportion offers for maths at Cambridge) instead of being rejected outright due to non-standard grades.
    If you are confident in your ability, the Oxford MAT gives you the same chance of demonstrating your ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeignStudent32)
    If you are confident in your ability, the Oxford MAT gives you the same chance of demonstrating your ability.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    Are you quoting yourself or a published statistic?
    Published stats. I have considerd applying to Cambridge so i looked it up. However, I like how with Oxford, if I can score above a certain score on MAT, I am almost guaranteed acceptance and test taking is my forte.

ReputationRep:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

No.
    Pretty sure it does. Everyone getting over a certain mark on MAT gets interviewed. And almost everyone over 80 gets in.

ReputationRep:
    Published stats. I have considerd applying to Cambridge so i looked it up. However, I like how with Oxford, if I can score above a certain score on MAT, I am almost guaranteed acceptance and test taking is my forte.
    Fair enough

I disagree. The MAT tests your ability to answer set questions, in a set style, on one day of the year. The interview, that tests your ability to answer set questions, in a different set style, on one day of the year.

The point is, there is no perfect way of gauging a student's ability. The way that Cambridge works, however, is the supervision system. And this works much like an interview, so they would like to see applicants thrive in that type of atmosphere. Whereas Oxford, I presume, would much prefer to see students thrive in a test. They're intrinsically different.

ReputationRep:
    Overbearing the converse doesn't create a truce,
    Feeding the flames never puts out the fire,
    You can tell when a comment is written in verse
    That the chat situation has become rather dire ...

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure it does. Everyone getting over a certain mark on MAT gets interviewed. And almost everyone over 80 gets in.
    Just lol, so much lol. STEP is at least 3/4 times harder than the MAT.

ReputationRep:
    Just lol, so much lol. STEP is at least 3/4 times harder than the MAT.
    Cool story. Maybe because you take STEP at the end of the year. So what if STEP is 3 or 4 times harder, it is like saying IMO is three times harder than STEP. But what is the point of you doing IMO, if you can't even do good on STEP.

Because STEP is harder, you have to answer less questions right for your offer. The cutoff mark for STEP is much lower than MAT.

ReputationRep:
    Cool story. Maybe because you take STEP at the end of the year. So what if STEP is 3 or 4 times harder, it is like saying IMO is three times harder than STEP. But what is the point of you doing IMO, if you can't even do good on STEP.

Because STEP is fun and I took STEP early, during my GCSE's.

Is your argument: I applied to Oxford because I'm scared of STEP and I'd rather sit the easier MAT, then? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    physicsmaths consistently gets way above 80, get full mark in UKMT and still can miss STEP offer...

ReputationRep:
    Because STEP is fun and I took STEP early, during my GCSE's.

Is your argument: I applied to Oxford because I'm scared of STEP and I'd rather sit the easier MAT, then? :rofl:
    Lol, nice logic.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, nice logic.
    Hey, that's roughly what you said.

Oh, and the cutoff mark for STEP is quite high, and is in two different papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    physicsmaths consistently gets way above 80, get full mark in UKMT and still can miss STEP offer...
    Maybe he had a bad day.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, that's roughly what you said.

Oh, and the cutoff mark for STEP is quite high, and is in two different papers.
    I am sure it is not as high as MAT. I am not sure if you are understanding this. Even if MAT is easier, I have to get more questions right on MAT to get accepted than I do on STEP to get accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    The TSA has been scrapped from most colleges at Cambridge because it shows no correlation to tripos performance.
    Good correlation for engineering, less good for economics. Scrapped because it does not ADD to the correlation from AS UMS scores. So waste of time doing both. (NOT because it shows no correlation.)

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he had a bad day.
    Maybe a dinosaur fell from the heaven and bit his writing hand off.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure it is not as high as MAT. I am not sure if you are understanding this. Even if MAT is easier, I have to get more questions right on MAT to get accepted than I do on STEP to get accepted.
    It's certainly harder to meet than MAT's cut-off rate. C'mon, any body who can get 1's in STEP will beast MAT with little to no effort.

ReputationRep:
    I can tell you haven't done STEP.
    Hope you avoided the bit on sample sizes.

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly harder to meet than MAT's cut-off rate. C'mon, any body who can get 1's in STEP will beast MAT with little to no effort.
    What do you mean by beast? 100 on MAT?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by beast? 100 on MAT?
    85/90+

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.