Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    worst players for us to have injured right now would be kos, giroud and coq

Those 3 are key to our team at the moment.. coq would probalby be the least of an issue, but he has put in some real good performances in the bigger games of this season, and seems to step up when it matters (also had some poor games mind you.. but against the two manchester teams, he was class)

Either of the other 2 would just be a nightmare.. we saw how badly we performed for the first half of this season without kos.. and I do give him a lot of the credit for how well we have turned things around in 2015.

And giroud is our main goal threat at the moment.. walcott, welbeck and sanchez are all not on great goal scoring form. and he would be a huge miss

Tbf you can't really blame Walcott considering he's hardly getting game time. Welbeck isn't really used as our main goal outlet now anyway but instead puts pressure on defences and he does that well. His ball technique is absolutely horrid though which is a shame considering he tries to do all the right things. Even if it seems comical, he really is just a more experienced Sanogo :lol:

Coquelin is quite vital to our team. Tackling isn't his only atribute because I've noticed his passing is usually on point too. Considering if we have Ramsey or Cazorla trying to bomb forward with the ball, at least Coquelin sometimes makes the safe pass backwards/sideways or he slows down play. Although not as important, at least it's not as sloppy as per say Flamini's. I really wonder what will happen to the side once Arteta returns but I've completely lost track on his injury :rofl:

Coquelin is good for absorbing pressure but he isn't the DM we need if we want to hold control over a game. That's why we've gone into big away games with this new approach of sitting back instead of sending everyone forward and it's working. But eventually we'll be found out which is why we need someone of real quality in that position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    worst players for us to have injured right now would be kos, giroud and coq

Those 3 are key to our team at the moment.. coq would probalby be the least of an issue, but he has put in some real good performances in the bigger games of this season, and seems to step up when it matters (also had some poor games mind you.. but against the two manchester teams, he was class)

Either of the other 2 would just be a nightmare.. we saw how badly we performed for the first half of this season without kos.. and I do give him a lot of the credit for how well we have turned things around in 2015.

And giroud is our main goal threat at the moment.. walcott, welbeck and sanchez are all not on great goal scoring form. and he would be a huge miss
    Dat french connection. Wenger is rebuilding.

(Original post by AR_95)

miserable cabbage.
    eyy lmao

ReputationRep:
    Was reading an article on sky sports about the potential introduction of rules regarding 'home grown players' from 2016.

With regards to Arsenal:-

"ARSENAL – At least four changes needed

Arsenal currently have 14 players in their squad classed as non-home grown:

Mikel Arteta, Santi Cazorla, Mathieu Debuchy, Abou Diaby, Mathieu Flamini, Gabriel, Olivier Giroud, Laurent Koscielny, Per Mertesacker, Nacho Monreal, David Ospina, Mesut Ozil, Tomas Rosicky and Alexis Sanchez.

Furthermore, Wojciech Szczęsny, Francis Coquelin and Damian Martinez would no longer be classed as home grown under the new rules.

That means Arsene Wenger would need to chop four players from that list to meet the limit of 13 non-home grown players."

If this was the case, which four changes would/should be made?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...d-lose-players

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Was reading an article on sky sports about the potential introduction of rules regarding 'home grown players' from 2016.

With regards to Arsenal:-

"ARSENAL – At least four changes needed

Arsenal currently have 14 players in their squad classed as non-home grown:

Mikel Arteta, Santi Cazorla, Mathieu Debuchy, Abou Diaby, Mathieu Flamini, Gabriel, Olivier Giroud, Laurent Koscielny, Per Mertesacker, Nacho Monreal, David Ospina, Mesut Ozil, Tomas Rosicky and Alexis Sanchez.

Furthermore, Wojciech Szczęsny, Francis Coquelin and Damian Martinez would no longer be classed as home grown under the new rules.

That means Arsene Wenger would need to chop four players from that list to meet the limit of 13 non-home grown players."

If this was the case, which four changes would/should be made?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...d-lose-players

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How can Wojciech Szczęsny, Francis Coquelin and Damian Martinez not be home grown? They played in our Academy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    How can Wojciech Szczęsny, Francis Coquelin and Damian Martinez not be home grown? They played in our Academy.
    They arrived at the Academy after their 15th birthdays...
    (Chop four players? Easy. Diaby, Flamini, Martinez, Rosicky)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    They arrived at the Academy after their 15th birthdays...
    (Chop four players? Easy. Diaby, Flamini, Martinez, Rosicky)
    Diaby is my fave player hopefully he can play one day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Diaby is my fave player hopefully he can play one day
    He is turning 29 in a couple of weeks, he missed his window to shine.
    Why you guys still have him on your books is a mystery.

I guess Diaby is your Fletcher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drewBusby)

No mate, Diaby is our Diaby. There's no one out there whose case comes anywhere close to his.

One of the things I hope Wenger explains in his book, why he's persisted with Diaby.

I swear when I go on to the Arsenal website and read the injury news I feel as though Wenger gets bored of answering questions regarding Diaby.

The latest:

"Speaking on February 27, ahead of the Everton game, Arsene Wenger said: "The only thing I must say is that he progresses well in training. He goes step by step but he has not played yet and is not in a position to play yet."

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drewBusby)

Nah Diaby is way better than Fletcher more like Pogba, Viera or Yaya Toure
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Also, how many of your fans have apologised to Moyesh yet? Considering it is his quality signings Fellaini and Mata that have dragged you through the last few games?
    #BringBackMoyes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Diaby should've done what Mouyokolo did at Wolves - terminate his contract and regain fitness by himself before signing for another club

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Was reading an article on sky sports about the potential introduction of rules regarding 'home grown players' from 2016. With regards to Arsenal:- "ARSENAL – At least four changes needed Arsenal currently have 14 players in their squad classed as non-home grown: Mikel Arteta, Santi Cazorla, Mathieu Debuchy, Abou Diaby, Mathieu Flamini, Gabriel, Olivier Giroud, Laurent Koscielny, Per Mertesacker, Nacho Monreal, David Ospina, Mesut Ozil, Tomas Rosicky and Alexis Sanchez. Furthermore, Wojciech Szczęsny, Francis Coquelin and Damian Martinez would no longer be classed as home grown under the new rules. That means Arsene Wenger would need to chop four players from that list to meet the limit of 13 non-home grown players." If this was the case, which four changes would/should be made? http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...d-lose-players Posted from TSR Mobile
    1. Flamini
    2. Emi Martinez
    3. Diaby
    4. Mertesacker

I would refuse to kick Rosicky out, he said before that his desire is to retire at Arsenal, and that is an increasingly rare trait within a player. He has been as loyal to us as we have to him, so let him stay. Besides, even now he is the little Mozart. Merts is fading fast, and soon he might not even be a reliable squad player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    No mate, Diaby is our Diaby. There's no one out there whose case comes anywhere close to his.

One of the things I hope Wenger explains in his book, why he's persisted with Diaby.

I swear when I go on to the Arsenal website and read the injury news I feel as though Wenger gets bored of answering questions regarding Diaby.

The latest:

"Speaking on February 27, ahead of the Everton game, Arsene Wenger said: "The only thing I must say is that he progresses well in training. He goes step by step but he has not played yet and is not in a position to play yet."

:rolleyes:
    Probably partially because he sees enough genuine quality within Diaby to maintain hope that he might recover with a few years left on the clock. Partially because he is incredibly sentimental and acts like a father to the players (which is a negative at times), so he doesn't want to kick out someone who has been at the club for so long. Also partially because he has passed the point of no return with Diaby. If he drops him now, he will have to admit that he wasted all this time on a cripple.

ReputationRep:
    We won't struggle with the new rules tbh, when you look at our team all our homegrown players are relatively young and we have a fair few coming through the ranks.

Especially when you consider the fact that the rule comes in gradually, players like Cazorla, Flamini and Arteta will be at retirement age anyway, so we won't really NEED to axe anyone to meet the guidlines

ReputationRep:
    Well, it looks like it may well be the start of the end for City if these rules are actually enforced properly with FFP, can't say they'll be missed, although at least their main fans weren't *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Well, it looks like it may well be the start of the end for City if these rules are actually enforced properly with FFP, can't say they'll be missed, although at least their main fans weren't *****
    Or they'll find a FFP loophole and give you 100m for Wilshere Ox and Gibbs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Or they'll find a FFP loophole and give you 100m for Wilshere Ox and Gibbs
    NYCFC bid $300mil for Wilshere Ox Gibbo Walcott Rooney and Cahill, only to loan them out to City....:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If we got a £25m offer for Santi would you take it?

ReputationRep:
    Wenger clearly feels sorry for Diaby. In the end it the day this is a player that has had his career destroyed by a disgusting, needless challenge by Dan Smith in the last minute whilst Arsenal were already 3-0 up against Sunderland.

The same type of challenge that spawns equally as reckless and outdated comments such as "He's letting him know he's there" from our mainstream media (ITV, Sky and BBC pundits).

Wenger didn't want to discard him, he wanted to give him the best possible chance to recover, which it seems has failed.

Dan Smith for the record, is now without a club at the age of 28. He last played in the 5th division of the Australian league for Holland Park Hawks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chezsu)
    Wenger clearly feels sorry for Diaby. In the end it the day this is a player that has had his career destroyed by a disgusting, needless challenge by Dan Smith in the last minute whilst Arsenal were already 3-0 up against Sunderland.

The same type of challenge that spawns equally as reckless and outdated comments such as "He's letting him know he's there" from our mainstream media (ITV, Sky and BBC pundits).

Wenger didn't want to discard him, he wanted to give him the best possible chance to recover, which it seems has failed.

Dan Smith for the record, is now without a club at the age of 28. He last played in the 5th division of the Australian league for Holland Park Hawks.
    I don't blame Wenger, as from a human point of view he clearly felt sorry for him after what happened.

From a footballing perspective I suppose Arsene thought he could do an RVP, shame really.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.