The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Anyone seen the front page of the Sunday Torygraph regarding the bloody Scot's independence...?
What?? If they get it I'll be moving up there BTW.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
What?? If they get it I'll be moving up there BTW.
Why you want to move up there!?

EDIT: This is pretty much it here
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

To save myself form the torys....
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
To save myself form the torys....
That's just rude...
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

And I thought her and the rest of her SNP goons were full of themselves before...
The great thing is that by her logic Scotland would then be torn apart if it votes for independence.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's just rude...
No you... It's just, you know... I kinda like having ummm right?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
And I thought her and the rest of her SNP goons were full of themselves before...
The great thing is that by her logic Scotland would then be torn apart if it votes for independence.
Haha, well, I'd love to see the effects, and the regret Scotland would have if they did become independent!
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha, well, I'd love to see the effects, and the regret Scotland would have if they did become independent!
Her argument for the EU referendum all nations must decide is laughable, because you can just keep taking it further and further, and it works both ways. Why should Scotland be forced to leave, it doesn't want to? Oh, it does, why should Glasgow, it doesn't? Oh, it does, why should this part of Glasgow...etc...Why should this individual be forced to leave? And, of course, it works the other way, why should I be forced to stay in?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Her argument for the EU referendum all nations must decide is laughable, because you can just keep taking it further and further, and it works both ways. Why should Scotland be forced to leave, it doesn't want to? Oh, it does, why should Glasgow, it doesn't? Oh, it does, why should this part of Glasgow...etc...Why should this individual be forced to leave? And, of course, it works the other way, why should I be forced to stay in?
Yeh exactly... it could just go on and on and on... hence why we have a democracy...
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In other news, it seems support for Dan Jarvis to run for Labour Leader is increasing. Given that he's served in the armed forces and is a vice-chair for Progress, the Blairite wing of Labour, he could be a very interesting person to lead Labour's recovery.

Also, Douglas Carswell ruled out running for UKIP Leader. Suzanne Evans seems very much like the obvious choice now.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
In other news, it seems support for Dan Jarvis to run for Labour Leader is increasing. Given that he's served in the armed forces and is a vice-chair for Progress, the Blairite wing of Labour, he could be a very interesting person to lead Labour's recovery.

Also, Douglas Carswell ruled out running for UKIP Leader. Suzanne Evans seems very much like the obvious choice now.
Or Farage again

Yeh exactly... it could just go on and on and on... hence why we have a democracy...
We'll be waiting too long for Labour to d it, but eventually it will. She will keep trying to get her agenda through and have it fail all the time, whereas Labour will manage it a bit, then she'll remember her place (well, no she won't, but we can only hope).
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Or Farage again

We'll be waiting too long for Labour to d it, but eventually it will. She will keep trying to get her agenda through and have it fail all the time, whereas Labour will manage it a bit, then she'll remember her place (well, no she won't, but we can only hope).
Haha yeh!
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)

Would be a perfect choice if it wasn't for the Scots.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sturgeon's absolutely right, all nations SHOULD get a vote on whether it leaves the EU. It isn't fair, say, if 100% of English people vote YES and 100% of Scots NO that we do what the English say (because there are more English people) - each nation should have it's own referendum and only leave the EU if all 4 agree to leave.

We are all part of the UK, but sovereignty should still exist within your own region unless specified otherwise. The North of England should have a right to split with the South should they wish. If I was in Scotland and England had just elected Tory, but my government was SNP, I expect Scotland to have the right to differ on England to alot of issues. If Northern Ireland vote to leave Europe, but the rest to stay NI should have the option of staying put in Europe or leaving the UK AND Europe.

I don't share this "we must preserve the Union" bull, economically it is better to stay united but if they act as separate entities but you force one to mimic the other, they should be entitled to separate.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Would be a perfect choice if it wasn't for the Scots.
Genuinely never heard of him, but certainly if we see Labour go central, an excellent background to appeal to the centre ground. Andy Burnham is my personal favourite, and doesn't give off the posh vibe (which DOES influence Left voters) - I hope he gets it.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Interesting article in the Telegraph about students hiding their vote for the Conservatives and pretended they voted Labour. Obviously it's a bad sign if people can't even honestly admit who they vote for, and shows how strong Left the students remain, but the people admitted that while they were considered with people on benefits, disabled, etc. the economy was what mattered to them more. Honestly, they should be expecting criticism under those circumstances and should be prepared to defend themselves.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Sturgeon's absolutely right, all nations SHOULD get a vote on whether it leaves the EU. It isn't fair, say, if 100% of English people vote YES and 100% of Scots NO that we do what the English say (because there are more English people) - each nation should have it's own referendum and only leave the EU if all 4 agree to leave.

We are all part of the UK, but sovereignty should still exist within your own region unless specified otherwise. The North of England should have a right to split with the South should they wish. If I was in Scotland and England had just elected Tory, but my government was SNP, I expect Scotland to have the right to differ on England to alot of issues. If Northern Ireland vote to leave Europe, but the rest to stay NI should have the option of staying put in Europe or leaving the UK AND Europe.

I don't share this "we must preserve the Union" bull, economically it is better to stay united but if they act as separate entities but you force one to mimic the other, they should be entitled to separate.
If Scotland don't want to leave the EU they know what they need to do. WE are a UNITED Kingdom, if the populace as a whole wants to leave we should leave, similarly iof as a whole we vote to stay we should stay.
As I said before, the same argument works both ways, why should part of the country be forced to stay when it wants to leave? Hell, why should three parts have to stay because one doesn't.
And, also as said before, we can keep running it further down until you reach the point whereby a unanimous decision must be made
And, yet again, as I've said, Sturgeon would be totally unwilling to apply this very same logic to her referendum, she would just be all like "suck it!"
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Interesting article in the Telegraph about students hiding their vote for the Conservatives and pretended they voted Labour. Obviously it's a bad sign if people can't even honestly admit who they vote for, and shows how strong Left the students remain, but the people admitted that while they were considered with people on benefits, disabled, etc. the economy was what mattered to them more. Honestly, they should be expecting criticism under those circumstances and should be prepared to defend themselves.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If Scotland don't want to leave the EU they know what they need to do. WE are a UNITED Kingdom, if the populace as a whole wants to leave we should leave, similarly iof as a whole we vote to stay we should stay.
As I said before, the same argument works both ways, why should part of the country be forced to stay when it wants to leave? Hell, why should three parts have to stay because one doesn't.
And, also as said before, we can keep running it further down until you reach the point whereby a unanimous decision must be made
And, yet again, as I've said, Sturgeon would be totally unwilling to apply this very same logic to her referendum, she would just be all like "suck it!"
Yes, and I think that's how it should be done.

If 100% of NI vote to stay/leave but the majority of the rest of the UK votes the opposite, the ultimatum should be made to NI to stick with the UK, or go independent, this applies elsewhere.

What if all of England and half of Scotland vote to leave, but 100% of Wales, NI and the other half of Scotland vote to stay, but it's an overall vote to leave? HOW IS THAT FAIR?

She should be allowed to vote for another referendum for Scotland if Scotland overall votes to stay but the rest to leave.

What do you mean by your last sentence? If Scotland voted to leave the UK but England voted for Scotland to stay - England's opinion is ignored? I think a country should be allowed to vote for it's own independence.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd be interested to know how common this actually is, but I agree it is outrageous that opinions are being silenced, it's quite petulent. In Belfast we just had LIB/LAB/CON/SNP represented in a debate which was won by the SNP but the Conservatives weren't shouted down or silenced.

If it's the case that people are excluded because of their political beliefs that is wrong, and especially naive.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads