Turn on thread page Beta

Ultimate EPQ thread watch

• View Poll Results: was this ?
    helpful
    62.56%
    not helpful
    37.44%

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to do an EPQ about the use of music in liturgical and non-liturgical worship, focusing on choral church music. I think this area is specific enough (tell me if I'm wrong!!) but I just can't think of a question/title to apply to the project using this topic, any ideas?

I'm looking to study either music, theology or languages at university so am trying to tie bits of everything in. I've had some ideas, but they don't sound right to me, so I'm seeking advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I did my EPQ on mechanisms and costs of artificial hearts and their viability in the future and got an A*, also incorporated this into my physics coursework so if anyone wants help in fields like that I can help I also have an interest and training in dementia and nursing care so may be able to help in those things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomStaff)
    I went to 1st year university stuff, my teacher tells me, with my depth of knowledge on magnetic braking for rollercoasters. You need at least 20. I had over 50 though. You don't need journals. Project log - evaluate yourself whenever you can, as remember evaluation is one of the marking points, so go into detail. It doesn't matter either way if you submit your notes - they're just there to show you've analysed research.
    Okay thanks for the advice. As it turns out, I have about 50 websites too now! I'm most nervous about the project log as it carries the most marks..... which I find ironic. What was your topic? Was it physics related?? And how long was your final dissertation? Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Was predicted a high A and got a B. And all that hours spent for nothing > . <

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obliviate)
    Was predicted a high A and got a B. And all that hours spent for nothing > . <

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hah. Spent what felt like years on mine. One of my mates did his in the week before the deadline. I got a D, and he got a B. Talk about unfair

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    Hi guys. I'm doing an Edexcell EPQ dissertation entitled 'How does time work in Space?' I was wondering if anyone knew how detailed one one should go - i.e should I mention mathematical formulae that is covered at University or should I just keep it simple... Also how many resources does one typically need? I currently have 5 books, 20 + websites, 5 newspaper articles, no journals How detailed should the Project log be? Finally, do we submit our research notes (mine are handwritten) or just our Proposal form, Log, Dissertation and Bibliography? I appreciate that was quite a rant but I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!!
    For sources, the recommended number is around 15 +/- 5. It's not about quantity of sources but quality, as you will have to evaluate a few. As for journals they are important (disagree with the previous post). This was stressed by the chief examiner in all the examiner reports. My knowledge does also come from the fact I'm also with the Edexcel exam board. Also the project log does not need to be long. Finally you don't sumbit the research notes, just the dissertation etc. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TLHroolz)
    Hah. Spent what felt like years on mine. One of my mates did his in the week before the deadline. I got a D, and he got a B. Talk about unfair

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel your pain

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My supervisor gave me JUST an A* but the exam board dropped everyone by a mark... sooooo annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do you know your raw mark?? my results sheet doesnt say, it just says 90 points???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infamous123)
    Yeah that's enough. 10 is the recommended number of sources, and also you have a good mix/ratio.
    What are some sources you'd reccomend for thisPQ question-

How does Dementia effect the brain and what are some potential treatments which could reduce its impact?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j1997)
    How many sources has everyone used? I used 4 journals, 4 news articles, 1 documentary and 1 book. Is this enough? My EPQ is Human geography related
    I had 40+ sources mixture of internet/books/videos/documentaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    What are some sources you'd reccomend for thisPQ question-

How does Dementia effect the brain and what are some potential treatments which could reduce its impact?
    tbh is doesnt matter which sources you use but how you use them.
    I used pretty much any I could find

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lamyers1)
    Hey guys,

I did my EPQ on mechanisms and costs of artificial hearts and their viability in the future and got an A*, also incorporated this into my physics coursework so if anyone wants help in fields like that I can help I also have an interest and training in dementia and nursing care so may be able to help in those things.

I've kind of adapted the question I planned out with your guideline since I'm not too sure what you meant by socioeconmic impacts?

I want to look into:look into the physical changes involved indementia, from the brain to how this affects their memory/speech/personality,then move onto the effect on family and potential treatments/preventative measures to see.if this could reduce the impact on society,do you think I could write enough on that or do you think I really need to add the whole socioeconomic thing since I'm not too sure about writing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infamous123)
    For sources, the recommended number is around 15 +/- 5. It's not about quantity of sources but quality, as you will have to evaluate a few. As for journals they are important (disagree with the previous post). This was stressed by the chief examiner in all the examiner reports. My knowledge does also come from the fact I'm also with the Edexcel exam board. Also the project log does not need to be long. Finally you don't sumbit the research notes, just the dissertation etc. Hope this helps.
    Okay. What do you mean by evaluate a few sources?? I will try and find some journals then. Are you sure you don't submit your notes. If so what was the point of doing them; why not simply just go straight into the dissertation? If so, then I might start writing my final draft... When you say just the dissertation, does it include Proposal Form, Log and Bibliography as well? Thanks a lot!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auralay)
    I received my A level results on Thursday and got an A* in my EPQ, which was on a psychology related topic. Happy to answer any questions
    My question is really similar! Though I'm considering changing it because it seems like a really popular topic .. If you don't mind me asking what resource's did you use? Do you have any books or studies you could recommend? Or a structure for ideas? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    Okay thanks for the advice. As it turns out, I have about 50 websites too now! I'm most nervous about the project log as it carries the most marks..... which I find ironic. What was your topic? Was it physics related?? And how long was your final dissertation? Thanks again
    Just do what the mark scheme says.

What are the fundamental mathematical and physical principles of rollercoasters? - so yes.

~6100 words.

ReputationRep:

I've kind of adapted the question I planned out with your guideline since I'm not too sure what you meant by socioeconmic impacts?

I want to look into:look into the physical changes involved indementia, from the brain to how this affects their memory/speech/personality,then move onto the effect on family and potential treatments/preventative measures to see.if this could reduce the impact on society,do you think I could write enough on that or do you think I really need to add the whole socioeconomic thing since I'm not too sure about writing that.
    What I meant about that was a) what impact does it have on society (from close family members to communities) and b) what economic impact it has in terms of how much the NHS/councils/families are having to spend on medication and care for people with it, dementia is a very costly disease.

They do look like very good points. Also be aware of the different types of dementia as they affect different parts of the brain and obviously then have different physical and emotional impacts, it can totally change someone's personality.

ReputationRep:
    What I meant about that was a) what impact does it have on society (from close family members to communities) and b) what economic impact it has in terms of how much the NHS/councils/families are having to spend on medication and care for people with it, dementia is a very costly disease.

They do look like very good points. Also be aware of the different types of dementia as they affect different parts of the brain and obviously then have different physical and emotional impacts, it can totally change someone's personality.
    whats the most common type of dementia?

ReputationRep:
    whats the most common type of dementia?
    Alzheimers is the most common.

I also see a lot of people with frontotemporal dementia as I think they they are the most difficult for the family to care for alone. Your personality is in your frontal lobe and speech is frontal and temporal which can obviously make it very difficult, and it can cause them to become violent.

ReputationRep:
    Alzheimers is the most common.

I also see a lot of people with frontotemporal dementia as I think they they are the most difficult for the family to care for alone. Your personality is in your frontal lobe and speech is frontal and temporal which can obviously make it very difficult, and it can cause them to become violent.

frontotemporal dementia - what happens during this?

Do you think I should stay with dementia or do OCD?

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.