Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Unlikely - they might use a different "norm" group to assess you against and might have a slightly lower percentile ranking benchmark, but I would put money on it being the same "norm" group (basic graduate - professional services one) and a similar percentile ranking to other organisations.
    Alright, thank you!

I'll just make sure not to spend too much time on one question and just guess where the calculations take too long.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Alright, thank you!

I'll just make sure not to spend too much time on one question and just guess where the calculations take too long.
    The way the tests are usually designed is for a significant proportion of people to not complete the full test within the allotted time. It is good to try and come to quick, decisiveness responses (I always dither and second guess myself, so tend to do badly on these assessments), but being right across slightly fewer responses will be better than randomly choosing answers just so you can view the last couple of questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    The way the tests are usually designed is for a significant proportion of people to not complete the full test within the allotted time. It is good to try and come to quick, decisiveness responses (I always dither and second guess myself, so tend to do badly on these assessments), but being right across slightly fewer responses will be better than randomly choosing answers just so you can view the last couple of questions!
    I don't know tbh.

If one takes the practice test on the SHL website as an example, then the latter questions were in fact the hardest, and would not be able to bw answered without lengthy calculation.

I don't think you can guess any answers, which leads me to the conclusion that it may be better to actually answer the ones you can even if it takes longer meaning you don't see the last few questions.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't know tbh.

If one takes the practice test on the SHL website as an example, then the latter questions were in fact the hardest, and would not be able to bw answered without lengthy calculation.

I don't think you can guess any answers, which leads me to the conclusion that it may be better to actually answer the ones you can even if it takes longer meaning you don't see the last few questions.
    There is always a spectrum of guessing. Informed guess work (eliminating the obvious) obviously isn't as bad as randomly choosing answers in a MCT.

There isn't one answer to these type of questions - it does depend on how the test has been designed and then how the employer chooses to implement it.

So I was generalising, but this is based on my experience designing and implementing psychometric tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    There is always a spectrum of guessing. Informed guess work (eliminating the obvious) obviously isn't as bad as randomly choosing answers in a MCT.

There isn't one answer to these type of questions - it does depend on how the test has been designed and then how the employer chooses to implement it.

So I was generalising, but this is based on my experience designing and implementing psychometric tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm talking about a numerical reasoning test which does have a definitive answer.

So yeah, your remedy of ruling out the blindingly obvious wrong answers (if there are any) is a good one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about a numerical reasoning test which does have a definitive answer.

So yeah, your remedy of ruling out the blindingly obvious wrong answers (if there are any) is a good one.
    That's what I am talking about too. I'm probably not explaining myself very well.

Options in the answers in MNCs of these nature are typically 1) so incorrect, it's difficult to work out how you would get to the answer, 2) a miscalculation of the data represented that's clearly wrong, 3) a miscalculation of the data that is marginally wrong, 4) the correct answer.

Getting rid of 1 and 2 quickly makes it much easier to work out whether the answer is 3 and 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    That's what I am talking about too. I'm probably not explaining myself very well.

Options in the answers in MNCs of these nature are typically 1) so incorrect, it's difficult to work out how you would get to the answer, 2) a miscalculation of the data represented that's clearly wrong, 3) a miscalculation of the data that is marginally wrong, 4) the correct answer.

Getting rid of 1 and 2 quickly makes it much easier to work out whether the answer is 3 and 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed!

I'm preparing for some interview questions and I'd like to know how long these answers typically should be in a face to face interview?

150 words? 250 words?

Thank you

And should I follow the STAR guideline?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Agreed!

I'm preparing for some interview questions and I'd like to know how long these answers typically should be in a face to face interview?

150 words? 250 words?

Thank you

Don't have a word quota. Just focus on the relevant information and don't detail the self explanatory. Some answers that will be shorter, in others longer. I think it's going to come across a little unnatural if you took this quota approach.

I'm not a great fan of STAR mainly because people end up over rehearsing the answers and again it comes across unnatural. However the concept is a good one as it allows you to focus on what's relevant.

Don't create scripts (what you would do with a word count), just create bullet points, eg (and sorry for the stereotypical example below):

Team working:

• Captain of the failing netball team (S)
    • Improve team morale to improve results (T)
    • Implemented more varied training sessions, organised informal socials, worked more closely with team B captain (A)
    • Improved league position and increased number of active team members (R)

R should also include what you learnt as a result.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anybody heading to Browne Jacobson on Friday?

I'm dreading it atm *sigh

ReputationRep:
    Weightmans anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robstaza1)
    I might ring
    Keep us posted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKRP11)
    I can't understand why they've delayed it so long, they can't even be that inundated with applicants. Not the end of the world for me if they don't get back to me, but it would be nice to have some closure to all my applications.
    Have they gotten back to you yet? Still waiting to hear of an interview date......

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard anything from weightmans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by husn)
    Has anyone heard anything from weightmans?
    No still waiting....

ReputationRep:
    Agreed!

150 words? 250 words?

Thank you

Man, I have seen a fair few posts from you on here wanting information on how tests for certain application processes go. How about you do these tests for yourself rather than asking people for hints and tips. People like you really p!ss me off because you expect that people will divulge information to you so you can gain ground on them in the application process. You want to succeed, I understand, but do it on your own merits, rather than getting others to tell you how to do things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsw08)
    Man, I have seen a fair few posts from you on here wanting information on how tests for certain application processes go. How about you do these tests for yourself rather than asking people for hints and tips. People like you really p!ss me off because you expect that people will divulge information to you so you can gain ground on them in the application process. You want to succeed, I understand, but do it on your own merits, rather than getting others to tell you how to do things!
    I'm not cheating. I'm being proactive so shut it

ReputationRep:
    You're attempting to ride on the coat-tails of other by trying to garner from others the content of a test. That makes you a cheat, plain and simple. DO IT YOURSELF!

I presume that you are an adult, so act like one and stop relying on others. Does your mummy still make your packed lunch and tuck you in bed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsw08)
    You're attempting to ride on the coat-tails of other by trying to garner from others the content of a test. That makes you a cheat, plain and simple. DO IT YOURSELF!

I presume that you are an adult, so act like one and stop relying on others. Does your mummy still make your packed lunch and tuck you in bed?
    No u

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong about asking for a bit of help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ireneebeenie)
    There is nothing wrong about asking for a bit of help.
    I think you quoted the wrong person but I agree

I think some people are salty that I'm *shock horror* using a FORUM to ask questions and get helpful answers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.