Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    I know last year Manchester wanted 650 so I hope I make it this year as I absolutely love Manchester!its a risk but tbh I'm limited anyway with what uni's I can apply to so I think I'll take it. I'll have to look into Plymouth as don't they use sub section scores for ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think they do you use sub section scores but you'll be more than fine anyway none of your sub section scores are lower than the usual national average.
    Oh i thought the manchester ukcat cut off was in the 660s lol i guess then itd be a good desicion for us tbf then not too risky

ReputationRep:
    how could i get a higher score in QR?? that's really bringing my score down

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to worry, I was feeling relatively happy about my 610 score and band 1 but after seeing the scores from the past few days I'm starting to worry. I'm a graduate and applying for undergrad dentistry so helping that works in my favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    Hey nice score, How many data questions were on QR? Were there a lot of long questions? How did you prepare also.
    How did you find Abstract reasoning? Were the patterns similar to medify?
    Was Vr harder than medify?
    I'd say the VR was about the same as on medify and the practice tests although I didn't do very well.
    For QR just don't panic, the graphs are fairly simple A LOT EASIER THAN THE PRACTICE TESTS ON THE WEBSITE***, use Alt+C and instead of pressing the numbers on the screen, use the keyboard to type in the numbers (ensure number lock is on). During decisions making I recommend taking a few minutes to write down any formulae and type in a few calculations to make sure your familiar with the keyboard.

For abstract he patterns are fairly simple, I wouldn't spend too much time on type 3/4 questions until the end or if you get them in <5 seconds. Try not to overcomplicate them and you'll be fine, often they're simple.

ReputationRep:
    Any other Scottish candidates wondering which 4 out of the 5 we should apply to? If anyone has any suggestions reply please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneAfrica)

Currently volunteering at the royal children's hospital
    GCHC / Yorkhill by any chance?

Also volunteering at the Royal children's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    So my ukcat is officially done with and I couldn't be more relieved.
    I got
    VR- 590 (lmao)
    QR-780
    AR- 630
    SJT- band 1!!!!!
    Average: 667.
    Thank you so much to everyone on this thread, I am so grateful for all the help and well wishes everyone gave me 😘😋
    Advice:
    VR: don't underestimate this section I ran out of time as questions were honestly so hard, I got quite a few true or false can't tell though but wouldn't say they helped much.
    QR: so much easier than any mock I'd done, some questions were so simple I wondered if it was correct what I was doing but some were still difficult which I just flagged and guessed.
    AR- found this hard as there were lots of partial patterns compared to simple ones, I'd say I got about 45 set A. I was never that good at AR and I had to guess about ten shapes lol.
    Good luck to anyone who still has to take their test! After VR even though it was hard, I calmed down massively as I got so focused in the test It distracted me from how I was feeling. Use the DM section to make notes ready for QR and AR. As you can see I only got a band 1 once in my mocks and in the real exam I finished 8 mins early for SJT as I thought I know I won't get a band 1 but anything above a band 4 is okay (I also knew I would start doubting my answers so I finished early which id advise everyone to do for SJT but I got a band 1 can't believe it!! SJT was alright but there were a lot of passages to read compared to the ones in my mocks.
    These were my mock scores. I hope it helps someone. Attachment 581890

Posted from TSR Mobile
    WHAAAAAAAATTTTT!?!?!?!! THAT IS AMAZING!!!! WELL DONE!!! If I got 667 average I would just be over the darn moon. That genuinely is an amazing score!
    I am really worried for VR as it's my worst section, then AR. I get like 500-580 in practices for it :'( But that really is amazing. i am so happy for you and in tears because I only have like 6 days to go!!!!!
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Did my UKCAT today:

VR - 560
    QR - 710
    AR - 680
    SJT - Band 2

Average 650. Decent but nothing groundbreaking really. In terms of the exam itself, yes VR is extremely difficult. I didn't find the passages too long but some of the questions were odd.

QR was as people say, easier than mock exams but not as much as I anticipated - maybe I just drew harder questions though, who knows.

AR was easier than it is on Medify to say the least, I think a pattern from a mock on the UKCAT website came up so do make sure to do all the questions on there.

Nothing else left to say really, I'm glad it's finally over and good luck to everyone else taking the exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Amazing score to you too bud!!! You both ended up with really similar scores and really good ones too!

Well done to you both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    how could i get a higher score in QR?? that's really bringing my score down
    Seriously don't worry about so much. QR was my worst section. I used to get 500 for practice and never finished on time. What I did was if I saw a big table or something complicated I skipped. Usually I'd use ALT+N to very quickly look through all the questions and do the easy ones and the ones with less information first and then do the hard ones. I used to get 500ish in practice but in the real thing I got 680(NOT THE BEST BUT THAT'LL DO ME). Seriously don't worry.
    One thing I'd say is practice VR

ReputationRep:
    No matter what I do I am struggling to break 600 in VR on MEDIFY!!!!!! MEDIFY IS SUPPOSED TO BE DAMN EASY! HELP :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Lol - when is your UKCAT test?
    Next Thursday :'(

Will be done by then :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    WHAAAAAAAATTTTT!?!?!?!! THAT IS AMAZING!!!! WELL DONE!!! If I got 667 average I would just be over the darn moon. That genuinely is an amazing score!
    I am really worried for VR as it's my worst section, then AR. I get like 500-580 in practices for it :'( But that really is amazing. i am so happy for you and in tears because I only have like 6 days to go!!!!!

Amazing score to you too bud!!! You both ended up with really similar scores and really good ones too!

Well done to you both
    Thank you so much!! You're going to do amazing don't worry! Stay positive if possible and your mocks honestly don't mean much, just keep practicing AR and hope that your QR score drags you up like mine did lmao 😂 you'll be fine!❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No matter what I do I am struggling to break 600 in VR on MEDIFY!!!!!! MEDIFY IS SUPPOSED TO BE DAMN EASY! HELP :'(
    Tbh I don't think mocks mean anything. I am saying this because my actual mark is not similar to mocks. The section I was doing great in mocks I did quite bad in that section the real thing and vice versa. Just stay calm, don't rush and do your best. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Next Thursday :'(

Will be done by then :O
    Don't worry! I believe in you! Just excessively go over AR and QR these ones tend to make the difference - for VR you either get it or you don't - like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potatoo)
    Seriously don't worry about so much. QR was my worst section. I used to get 500 for practice and never finished on time. What I did was if I saw a big table or something complicated I skipped. Usually I'd use ALT+N to very quickly look through all the questions and do the easy ones and the ones with less information first and then do the hard ones. I used to get 500ish in practice but in the real thing I got 680(NOT THE BEST BUT THAT'LL DO ME). Seriously don't worry.
    One thing I'd say is practice VR
    were the QR questions in your exam easy? like reading off a table and % change??
    also was VR mainly the reading comprehension style and not the true/false/can't tell??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potatoo;[url="tel:67706900")
    67706900[/url]]Aberdeen, Dundee. Since my B is chemistry I don't know if St andrews is a good idea. Plus I don;t have great UKCAT. I got 650 and I don't know if I should go for Edinburgh. I'd be happy to get in anywhere though
    650 is still a good score, what band did you get? Yeah same I'll be happy no matter where as long as I get to to medicine, only thing about Edinburgh is the fact they don't do interviews makes us at a bit of a disadvantage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopeforunderdog)
    650 is still a good score, what band did you get? Yeah same I'll be happy no matter where as long as I get to to medicine, only thing about Edinburgh is the fact they don't do interviews makes us at a bit of a disadvantage
    I got band 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    were the QR questions in your exam easy? like reading off a table and % change??
    also was VR mainly the reading comprehension style and not the true/false/can't tell??
    Yeah they were. I was just frustrated after VR. I had atleast 3, short not crazy long tables. One of those crazy tables, 2 graphs, a few perimeter, area and finding cost of fencing, very easy, % increase, decrease. That's about it.

For VR, I had 3 sets of T/F/CT questions. Rest were comprehensions. To be honest they were not even that bad. I just couldn't be bothered. Seriously man don't worry so much. As long as you stay concentrated, and don't panic you'll do great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carbon_)
    If you don't mind me asking, what was your technique for VR? And how were you doing with Medify questions? Were you getting most of them right with VR? Also any tips and advice? Thanks in advance

Congratulations on your score btw!
    My technique:
    VRon't read the text first. IMO it's too long and the texts are often really dry and full of irrelevant detail which you will struggle to remember. All stems which require you to read the text first (overall impression of text, which 1 of the following is true/not true) flag and leave till the end (all parts of that stem). Go through and get the easy marks first - e.g. questions asking you about a person/date/feature which you can scan read the text for. I'm good at scan reading so this worked for me, not saying it will for you. Then I could go back through the Q's which I felt I had to read the text first with less pressure.
    QR:

If I struggled to 'get' the data after a few seconds I would flag all questions on that dataset and move on. I had a lot of pie chart/angle based questions which was fortunate for me. This is the only section where I used the marker pen/mini white board type thing they give you, I didn't trust myself to not accidentally clear the memory on the on screen calculator.

AR:

If I felt after 10-20 secs that I didn't understand the pattern I flagged and moved on. If you can figure the pattern out in set A, set B will be the same but modified slightly/the opposite (but the same type, e.g. if set A both clock hands point to odd, set B will have 1 point to even etc.). If I couldn't get it from the first set I'd compare the 2 sets to see what changed - sometimes that helps you get the pattern. I ended up flagging quite a lot of these then just looking at the question image and the 2 sets and picking whichever one it felt like. Probably got quite lucky on this section!

Final tip is try to use the decision making section for a bathroom break so you don't waste time on the important sections. Don't rush onto QR, make sure you are mentally prepared.

And thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potatoo)
    Yeah they were. I was just frustrated after VR. I had atleast 3, short not crazy long tables. One of those crazy tables, 2 graphs, a few perimeter, area and finding cost of fencing, very easy, % increase, decrease. That's about it.

For VR, I had 3 sets of T/F/CT questions. Rest were comprehensions. To be honest they were not even that bad. I just couldn't be bothered. Seriously man don't worry so much. As long as you stay concentrated, and don't panic you'll do great.
    ahh ok!! that's great! as long as QR doesn't have pie charts i'm fine

ReputationRep:
    i know that everyone get diff questions, but is the trend similar for the year?? for example, will everyone have difficult VR questions or will only some candidates get the harder ones?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.