Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Touche.

Low growth rates is still growth nonetheless, i have very little reason to be concerned. Also theres the menthol filters point...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't really get the menthol filters point...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The US is the biggest trade partner of the EU, if we leave we take that spot by a country mile; even if we still included the UK-US trade the UK-EU trade is significantly greater.

The question also is whether the 2 are randomly chosen on selected, if selected it will likely be Germany and a minor country Germany can bully

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From what I have read here it's the commission and not coutries (I always thought it was countries) so we'd be negotiating with Junker and presumably his number 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I don't really get the menthol filters point...
    Tobacco smells grim, id also like to be able to smoke before a job interview to calm my nerves without having to enter the interview with ashtray breath. Menthol filters = good for the economy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tobacco smells grim, id also like to be able to smoke before a job interview to calm my nerves without having to enter the interview with ashtray breath. Menthol filters = good for the economy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does being in the EU prevent their use?

ReputationRep:
    Does being in the EU prevent their use?
    Theyre in the process of being banned across the EU

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Theyre in the process of being banned across the EU

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why?

Also, you'll still be able to get them, just like you can import snus quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    Why?

Also, you'll still be able to get them, just like you can import snus quite easily.
    God knows.

But thats effort, if im outside my house and want to buy a pack of cigs i dont want to have to import them in from a nonEU country, thats so much of a hassle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    From what I have read here it's the commission and not coutries (I always thought it was countries) so we'd be negotiating with Junker and presumably his number 2?
    Where in there does it say only 2 members of the commission?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    God knows.

But thats effort, if im outside my house and want to buy a pack of cigs i dont want to have to import them in from a nonEU country, thats so much of a hassle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What good reason do you have for thinking the regulation won't also be imposed in a post-Brexit UK? Like, this is the worst reason for voting to leave.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    ZHCs are the most productive contracts a company can offer. If you have a few employees and all of them are on ZHCs you have a very productive workforce, the more people you have on ZHCs the more output you have and the more that your company grows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Disagree. Also nothing to do with the EU.

ReputationRep:
    What good reason do you have for thinking the regulation won't also be imposed in a post-Brexit UK? Like, this is the worst reason for voting to leave.
    Im not saying its a reason, not even saying its a factor in my decision (i may imply it is, but im not being serious). I'm just frustrated about it because im a filthy addict, and menthol filters make me forget that because instead of tasting cancer with every toke i taste minty freshness (presumably why they're being banned tbh).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Where in there does it say only 2 members of the commission?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everything I have ever heard is 2 countries so I'm assuming.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Everything I have ever heard is 2 countries so I'm assuming.
    Exactly, you assume.

And having looked at the text of article 50 it isn't even the commission, it's the council, which means Mrs Merkel

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Exactly, you assume.

And having looked at the text of article 50 it isn't even the commission, it's the council, which means Mrs Merkel

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, the council sets out Guidence and has to approve of measures but the commission negotiates.

EDIT:
    (Original post by Article 218(3) of The Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union)
    3. The Commission, or the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy where the agreement envisaged relates exclusively or principally to the common foreign and security policy, shall submit recommendations to the Council, which shall adopt a decision authorising the opening of negotiations and, depending on the subject of the agreement envisaged, nominating the Union negotiator or the head of the Union's negotiating team
    (Original post by Article 50(2) of the Lisbon Treaty)
    2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand the fact that vote leave are trying to play the anti establishment card when they are spearheaded by Boris Johnsin and Gove who are pretty much as establishment as it gets.

Apparently there's a massive conspiracy by the remain side which includes paying off every economic expert and world leader and using Jo Cox's murder for political gain.

ReputationRep:
    No doubt, but any new trade deals wouldnt be so devastating that our economy would collapse as remain suggests, what would any party get out of negotiating a trade deal so bad that the other party's economy is destroyed by it? (thus limiting the trade that can happen, creating a lose-lose situation)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've exemplified the fundamental flaw of the leave campaign.
    You're claiming that the EU is so bad and unreasonable yet at the same time if we left it would be lovely and reasonable towards us, offering us a sweetheart deal.

The leave campaign has not put forward a viable alternative, not one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    You've exemplified the fundamental flaw of the leave campaign.
    You're claiming that the EU is so bad and unreasonable yet at the teams time if we left it would be lovely and reasonable towards us, offering us a sweetheart deal.

The leave campaign has not put forward a viable alternative, not one.
    Last I checked this is a referendum to guide the government, not replacing the government. The problem with remainers is they want to know the future without offering a future themselves and without realising the leave campaign is not taking us out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ZHCs are the most productive contracts a company can offer. If you have a few employees and all of them are on ZHCs you have a very productive workforce, the more people you have on ZHCs the more output you have and the more that your company grows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What type of tripe is that?
    If everyone was on a ZHC then no one would have a secure job with secure hours.
    If people don't have security and know they have a solid income they are far less likely to spend.

You can argue ZHC work for some people (such as students and those who only want to work part time), but to suggest that it would be more productive for the economy if everyone was on one, is simply a lie.

ReputationRep:
    Last I checked this is a referendum to guide the government, not replacing the government. The problem with remainers is they want to know the future without offering a future themselves and without realising the leave campaign is not taking us out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But if you want to leave then the onus is on you to suggest an alternative to alleviate the potential consequences.

Otherwise you just say 'we want to leave' and its up to the government to sort it out. If the government genuinely feels that it's not in our best interests to leave and that the result would be crippling then it's more than entitled to demand that the leave campaign spell out an alternative.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The problem is that there is no way to take us out without causing severe damage. We're not asking you to predict what the government will do, we're asking you to provide a single non-catastrophic and realistic (read: we don't get pie-in-the-sky level trade deals) leave scenario. The problem, of course, for Brexiters, is that Brexit would range from very bad to catastrophic no matter what happens, so this cannot be answered.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.