Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Thanks guys, theres been a bit of debating and thinking and talking to people today and with essentially 6 weeks left or so i should really just try and stick it out to the end i guess. It seems such a waste not too. Just have to decide whether i want to do my nqt year
    I've heard that around Easter is the hardest time for us and that I lot of people drop out around now. I am really struggling with it all too, but like you I keep thinking we are quite close now. You sound closer than me. I have about a total of nine weeks left, but it really doesn't sound like long when I type it out. Next term will be the hardest, so get pumped up and face it head on! Once it is done it is done. That's what I'm trying to tell myself anyway.

(Original post by tory88)

If you don't want to do the extra hours, then you definitely don't have to do them! I'd go with the ideas already suggested, particularly using your course handbook, and then if that fails e-mail your tutor. On my course they've had to wade in for a number of pupils being put upon by schools, and it tends to resolve itself quickly (some schools try to take advantage, but most just don't read the handbooks themselves and need a prod from the university to do so).
    Yeah, if they don't back down once I mention it to them, then I will get on to my tutor. I don't think they are trying to take advantage, but they see it as good experience. I don't really care about the experience, I just want the whole thing done with.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same position... really struggling with my PGCE and I keep on feeling so demotivated! Luckily, I've only got 5 teaching weeks left after the Easter holidays, so I'm using that as a motivator to think that I will be finishing soon! I really can't wait until the last day of term, swear this PGCE course has been the hardest year of my life so far

Btw, if you're thinking you don't want to do your NQT year next year, it might be worth saying this to your mentor. After finally admitting this to my uni tutor and subject mentor last week when the issue of job applications arose, the pressure and expectations of me have lessened, as I guess they understand that I just want to pass the course, not be prepared for the difficult NQT year and a lifetime of teaching - just a thought, but it might make your final 6 weeks of teaching a little easier to manage...

ReputationRep:
    I've still got ten weeks after Easter
    I'm on a downer at the moment and stay working until 11pm every night, having worked solidly from when school finishes at three. This is no way to live really.

ReputationRep:
    100 days til the end of my PGCE. I am dreading my last placement and keep getting asked if I am applying for jobs - they know I am not doing well enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awesome_username)
    I'm in exactly the same position... really struggling with my PGCE and I keep on feeling so demotivated! Luckily, I've only got 5 teaching weeks left after the Easter holidays, so I'm using that as a motivator to think that I will be finishing soon! I really can't wait until the last day of term, swear this PGCE course has been the hardest year of my life so far

Btw, if you're thinking you don't want to do your NQT year next year, it might be worth saying this to your mentor. After finally admitting this to my uni tutor and subject mentor last week when the issue of job applications arose, the pressure and expectations of me have lessened, as I guess they understand that I just want to pass the course, not be prepared for the difficult NQT year and a lifetime of teaching - just a thought, but it might make your final 6 weeks of teaching a little easier to manage...
    Im the same, week and a half left till easter and 5 weeks on placement after easter to get through and then its just uni stuff left, hurrah!
    Ive got a meeting friday so will discuss it then i guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    I've still got ten weeks after Easter
    I'm on a downer at the moment and stay working until 11pm every night, having worked solidly from when school finishes at three. This is no way to live really.
    What is it that's taking you so long? Give yourself time! I don't do any work on weeknights (minus the occasional powerpoint) and only work on saturdays now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    What is it that's taking you so long? Give yourself time! I don't do any work on weeknights (minus the occasional powerpoint) and only work on saturdays now.
    Wow how are you managing that??
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I remember coming to this thread about this time last year and seeing a slew of negative posts, so I think I should provide a bit of balance.

I'm still really enjoying the PGCE. It's been undeniably tough, and there're still a tonne more tough things to get through, but for me I am going into a career that I really want to be involved in for years to come. My first placement school was excellent, and I took a job there; my second is less good, and the pupils more challenging, but I'm still getting plenty of enjoyment out of the course. The important thing to remember is that Easter is one of the two big crunch points on the PGCE, when most dropouts seem to occur (from discussions with NQTs, anyway); combining that with the fact that it's easier to complain than boast and that would be why this thread tends to be pretty negative. So there are still plenty of people enjoying the PGCE out there.

On the flipside, I don't really feel like I'm getting much useful feedback at my new school. They seem happy with the way I'm teaching and are just leaving me with it. There might be a very helpful things specific to the class/lesson (E.G. pupils at the back can't see the bottom of the board), and a couple of pointers on working with EAL or SEN, but in general I feel like I'm learning more through trial and improvement. And whilst I like the faith being put in me, I'm also certain that I'm nowhere near good enough to not have a list of things to improve for most of my lessons. At first I thought I was being eased in gently, but I'm a reasonable way into my placement (4.5 weeks of 11) and it's continuing.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to apply for that job. I've applied for one I really want somewhere else and they shortlist thurs/fri this week, so if I don't get that I will be applying after all.

Samus2 how on earth do you do all your work on a Saturday? What about marking and evaluations? Do you never have to change your plans? I'm jealous! On my first placement I was working 3-10 like a lot of people here

Just worked out that there are 13 weeks left of this course, not including Easter. We don't get half term.

ReputationRep:
    I remember coming to this thread about this time last year and seeing a slew of negative posts, so I think I should provide a bit of balance.

I'm still really enjoying the PGCE. It's been undeniably tough, and there're still a tonne more tough things to get through, but for me I am going into a career that I really want to be involved in for years to come. My first placement school was excellent, and I took a job there; my second is less good, and the pupils more challenging, but I'm still getting plenty of enjoyment out of the course. The important thing to remember is that Easter is one of the two big crunch points on the PGCE, when most dropouts seem to occur (from discussions with NQTs, anyway); combining that with the fact that it's easier to complain than boast and that would be why this thread tends to be pretty negative. So there are still plenty of people enjoying the PGCE out there.

On the flipside, I don't really feel like I'm getting much useful feedback at my new school. They seem happy with the way I'm teaching and are just leaving me with it. There might be a very helpful things specific to the class/lesson (E.G. pupils at the back can't see the bottom of the board), and a couple of pointers on working with EAL or SEN, but in general I feel like I'm learning more through trial and improvement. And whilst I like the faith being put in me, I'm also certain that I'm nowhere near good enough to not have a list of things to improve for most of my lessons. At first I thought I was being eased in gently, but I'm a reasonable way into my placement (4.5 weeks of 11) and it's continuing.
    Thanks for adding some positivity! Despite some of the things I say on here I love teaching and can't wait to get back on plavement.

As for your placement issues, please share your concerns with your tutor/mentor. You may very well get to the end of your placement and find that there were a number of things you could have improved on - I feel like that is what happened on my first placement. Maybe your school are afraid to hurt your feelings! Or you might just be a very good trainee. The only way to find out is to ask.

ReputationRep:
    How often do people mark? And how long do evaluations take you?

I hardly ever do book work so I don't have to mark as much. Only copying my mentor there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm throwing myself into the positive pile too. I feel like in the past two weeks everything is just starting to click into place. I need to spend half term gathering my evidence for my teachers file but I finally feel like I can finally do this.

ReputationRep:
    Got my first interview. Not entirely sure I want the job but I want to attend the interview anyway. It is at a good school and it is teaching what I'd want to teach if I wanted to go into it. Who knows. I feel sick now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I'm throwing myself into the positive pile too. I feel like in the past two weeks everything is just starting to click into place. I need to spend half term gathering my evidence for my teachers file but I finally feel like I can finally do this.
    Thats awesome. Ive been just using the time left as my drive to go forward. 6 weeks left on placement and i can walk away from that school forever so just need to work my bum off for those last 6 weeks and we are sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)

I hardly ever do book work so I don't have to mark as much. Only copying my mentor there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In Y2 marking took me a couple of hours each night Evaluations took about half an hour but I reached a point where I just stopped doing them and the uni weren't happy.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've had another brilliant day. I can barely stand up now though - my legs are so sore from running around so much!

(Original post by Ratchit99)
    Thats awesome. Ive been just using the time left as my drive to go forward. 6 weeks left on placement and i can walk away from that school forever so just need to work my bum off for those last 6 weeks and we are sorted.
    We're almost there. It's a scary idea to think we're almost done but we are almost there and whether we all continue to teach or not, at least we know we can survive even the hardest of years.

I think it's a massive achievement just being on the course, surviving this long is a brilliant thing to have accomplished and anything else we manage is definitely a bonus.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Thanks for adding some positivity! Despite some of the things I say on here I love teaching and can't wait to get back on plavement.

As for your placement issues, please share your concerns with your tutor/mentor. You may very well get to the end of your placement and find that there were a number of things you could have improved on - I feel like that is what happened on my first placement. Maybe your school are afraid to hurt your feelings! Or you might just be a very good trainee. The only way to find out is to ask.
    I pushed them for more criticism today, and they said they were broadly happy with how things were going but gave me a few pointers. I figure I'll go on like that until Easter and then push again for more criticism.

(Original post by Airfairy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I follow the school marking policy. At my first school that was once every 2 weeks (killer for classes of 30 or more), but my new school is once every 3 weeks which is more manageable. I print off blank evaluations and the scribble them in a batch at the end of the week. For 13 lessons I can get through them in about half an hour and my university have been fine with what I'm producing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I've had another brilliant day. I can barely stand up now though - my legs are so sore from running around so much!

We're almost there. It's a scary idea to think we're almost done but we are almost there and whether we all continue to teach or not, at least we know we can survive even the hardest of years.

I think it's a massive achievement just being on the course, surviving this long is a brilliant thing to have accomplished and anything else we manage is definitely a bonus.
    Yes definately. I used the uni councilling service today and it was great to talk to someone Impartial about everything. Think weve basically decided that i should work and finish the course but i need to look out for me!

ReputationRep:
    I follow the school marking policy. At my first school that was once every 2 weeks (killer for classes of 30 or more), but my new school is once every 3 weeks which is more manageable.
    Why? It doesn't reduce the workload. It means you have to mark 3 weeks of stuff rather than 2. If anything it's better to do it in smaller chunks on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    ''how do you ensure everyone in your class makes progress''

Is this an AFL question?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.