Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Ray mentioned before, the cabinet will be announced when it's announced. I will say though, that the lack of a cabinet announcement is not a reflection on the activity of the government which is rather high, once the nittgritty is sorted out we'll be showcasing it, for the meantime stay patient (reasonably, of course).

I think it's a shame that despite this people still don't feel any better off than they did under Blair, and it's also a shame that the RL government plans to make people even worse off through tax credit cuts.
    A lot are worse off. Sky news did a poll over 60% said they did not feel better off between 2011-2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    What is TSR Labour's reaction to the news that the poorest 20% in the UK have a higher full time employment rate than any EU economy including Germany, at 30% for 2014.
    Have you got any historical data for the level of full time employment within the poorest 20%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Have you got any historical data for the level of full time employment within the poorest 20%?
    Other than 6% in 2009, no (CityAm article).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    A lot are worse off. Sky news did a poll over 60% said they did not feel better off between 2011-2015
    Ahh, it was that much? I had no idea. The fact that more people are in work and do not feel any better off because of it goes to show some serious failings from the Tories to make work pay.

ReputationRep:
    Other than 6% in 2009, no (CityAm article).
    you got a link to the article?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ahh, it was that much? I had no idea. The fact that more people are in work and do not feel any better off because of it goes to show some serious failings from the Tories to make work pay.
    Alternatively it shows how high inflation was, you know, 3 or so percent above mean wage growth, to things barely in the control of the government.

There is also the question of being vs feeling, and how you actually measure either, the latter especially objectively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ray mentioned before, the cabinet will be announced when it's announced. I will say though, that the lack of a cabinet announcement is not a reflection on the activity of the government which is rather high, once the nittgritty is sorted out we'll be showcasing it, for the meantime stay patient (reasonably, of course).

I think it's a shame that despite this people still don't feel any better off than they did under Blair, and it's also a shame that the RL government plans to make people even worse off through tax credit cuts.
    I would say two weeks is being more than reasonable

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Alternatively it shows how high inflation was, you know, 3 or so percent above mean wage growth, to things barely in the control of the government.

There is also the question of being vs feeling, and how you actually measure either, the latter especially objectively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You say being vs. feeling. But if someone feels hard done by, which many people do (especially the bottom 20%), then telling them "actually you ARE better off" isn't going to do anything.

I would say two weeks is being more than reasonable

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The cabinet will be announced soon, as I said before, it's only the nittygritty. There's a lot going on at the moment in the government but until that nittygritty is sorted there isn't much we can showcase. It's only been a week, that must be remembered, it will be announced when it's announced. The fact that many were expecting an announcement yesternight goes to show how close we are, another day or two isn't too much of an ask.

ReputationRep:
    What is TSR Labour's reaction to the news that the poorest 20% in the UK have a higher full time employment rate than any EU economy including Germany, at 30% for 2014.
    High "employment" rates mean nothing when it doesn't outline the hours which are worked, how much they earn and how much their in work benefits have been cut.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    High "employment" rates mean nothing when it doesn't outline the hours which are worked, how much they earn and how much their in work benefits have been cut.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well full time at a minimum of minimum wage.

ReputationRep:
    Well full time at a minimum of minimum wage.
    I'd suggest that having 6% of people working full time yet earning less than £13,100 isn't exactly showing a transition to "a low tax, low welfare, high wage society"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    I'd suggest that having 6% of people working full time yet earning less than £13,100 isn't exactly showing a transition to "a low tax, low welfare, high wage society"
    6% in 2009, 30% in 2014.

Progress.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You say being vs. feeling. But if someone feels hard done by, which many people do (especially the bottom 20%), then telling them "actually you ARE better off" isn't going to do anything.

The cabinet will be announced soon, as I said before, it's only the nittygritty. There's a lot going on at the moment in the government but until that nittygritty is sorted there isn't much we can showcase. It's only been a week, that must be remembered, it will be announced when it's announced. The fact that many were expecting an announcement yesternight goes to show how close we are, another day or two isn't too much of an ask.
    We've been hearing "soon" for a long time now. Last time we heard "soon" for this long the outcome was even worse than we anticipated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    6% in 2009, 30% in 2014.

Progress.
    well no it would have been 1.2% earning less than £10,600 for full time employment in 2009. and 6% earning less than £13,100 for full time employment now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    We've been hearing "soon" for a long time now. Last time we heard "soon" for this long the outcome was even worse than we anticipated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can only assume you're referring to the budget, which ended up being drastically rushed. The cabinet on the other hand has been taken slowly, it's almost finished as far as I'm aware and the expectation of an announcement last night is a testament to that, just the nittygritty needs doing at the moment. There's a whole lot more detail being put in this government compared to previous ones, there'll be a few more reports than we've previously seen and the budget will be a midterm one so that won't be rushed either. All that we require is your patience and I can assure you that it'll be rewarded.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which is why I've stopped saying it'll be announced soon. It'll be announced when it is announced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    If the cabinet isn't anounced soon could the rest of the house just elect/apoint people to the ministry's? It would be so much faster.
    a) it would not be faster
    b) no

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    To blame the Tories for it being only 30% and not higher

On a serious note, RayApparently, is this to be yet another day of "the cabinet will be announced today" and it not being announced?
    I have not said it'll be announced today and will not be preempting the announcement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I have not said it'll be announced today and will not be preempting the announcement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you have no idea when?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    So you have no idea when?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do but why risk being wrong again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2018
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.