Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know this varies a lot from people to people, but did they find VR easier on the day than medify? And are the passages lengths the same roughly? I feel like
    they're a bit short on medify but might be just me. And damn, those long Qs
    asking for authors or negative Qs are the most annoying thing ever!

I hear QR is easier than medify so I hope so! I haven't done much and I got it
    next Saturday! The stress really affects my time management skills, I hope I can use the DM to calm down...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain127)
    I know this varies a lot from people to people, but did they find VR easier on the day than medify? And are the passages lengths the same roughly? I feel like

next Saturday! The stress really affects my time management skills, I hope I can use the DM to calm down...
    Tbh passages were similar like they varied, quite a lot were long but some were short, questions were harder than medify though in my opinion! I'd say QR is similar to medify but a few more easier questions, go in thinking it's hard though as otherwise you might take it being easy for granted if you get me. Best of luck! DM managed to calm me down so I'm sure it will for you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Tbh passages were similar like they varied, quite a lot were long but some were short, questions were harder than medify though in my opinion! I'd say QR is similar to medify but a few more easier questions, go in thinking it's hard though as otherwise you might take it being easy for granted if you get me. Best of luck! DM managed to calm me down so I'm sure it will for you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! Yeah I need to keep that tension but not too tense I forget about
    everything. Just need to stop getting bogged down in the middle, usually a few
    easy marks near the end! Do you know for UKCAT calculator if the +,-,*,/ signs
    at the number pad work on the calculator?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Don't worry! I believe in you! Just excessively go over AR and QR these ones tend to make the difference - for VR you either get it or you don't - like me.

(Original post by Potatoo)
    Tbh I don't think mocks mean anything. I am saying this because my actual mark is not similar to mocks. The section I was doing great in mocks I did quite bad in that section the real thing and vice versa. Just stay calm, don't rush and do your best. Good luck
    Yeah, I guess that is true from what I am seeing.
    Thank you so much!! You're going to do amazing don't worry! Stay positive if possible and your mocks honestly don't mean much, just keep practicing AR and hope that your QR score drags you up like mine did lmao 😂 you'll be fine!❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. Really hope QR brings me up because the timing gets me on that so much!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Yeah I need to keep that tension but not too tense I forget about
    everything. Just need to stop getting bogged down in the middle, usually a few
    easy marks near the end! Do you know for UKCAT calculator if the +,-,*,/ signs
    at the number pad work on the calculator?
    Yes they work fine and backspace also clears it ( I was worried it wouldn't lol). Honestly you get so focused that 20 minutes feels like one minute! I wouldn't worry about how you'll feel as honestly you don't even have the time to feel any emotions during that test 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I found the passages longer on average (only by a little) in the real thing as well and the texts were hard to understand as it was all about war and history
    QR is not as easy as everyone makes it out to be trust me! Yeah you get a few eyeballing questions, however there are like 8 questions that require deep thought. I guessed 4, semi guessed 2 and came out with 890, so the scoring seems to be quite nice!
    During DM refresh memory on key points for AR + QR. DO NOT dwell on VR as it is now over. I dwelled on VR and i had a mini panic attack for the next section as i couldn't even answer the first question in QR straight away! Came back to it and it was a piss easy ratio question lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes they work fine and backspace also clears it ( I was worried it wouldn't lol). Honestly you get so focused that 20 minutes feels like one minute! I wouldn't worry about how you'll feel as honestly you don't even have the time to feel any emotions during that test 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah my mind blanks when I mess up the time badly unfortunately. Good to
    know I forgot about that! Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fall_)
    My technique:
    VRon't read the text first. IMO it's too long and the texts are often really dry and full of irrelevant detail which you will struggle to remember. All stems which require you to read the text first (overall impression of text, which 1 of the following is true/not true) flag and leave till the end (all parts of that stem). Go through and get the easy marks first - e.g. questions asking you about a person/date/feature which you can scan read the text for. I'm good at scan reading so this worked for me, not saying it will for you. Then I could go back through the Q's which I felt I had to read the text first with less pressure.
    QR:

If I struggled to 'get' the data after a few seconds I would flag all questions on that dataset and move on. I had a lot of pie chart/angle based questions which was fortunate for me. This is the only section where I used the marker pen/mini white board type thing they give you, I didn't trust myself to not accidentally clear the memory on the on screen calculator.

AR:

If I felt after 10-20 secs that I didn't understand the pattern I flagged and moved on. If you can figure the pattern out in set A, set B will be the same but modified slightly/the opposite (but the same type, e.g. if set A both clock hands point to odd, set B will have 1 point to even etc.). If I couldn't get it from the first set I'd compare the 2 sets to see what changed - sometimes that helps you get the pattern. I ended up flagging quite a lot of these then just looking at the question image and the 2 sets and picking whichever one it felt like. Probably got quite lucky on this section!

Final tip is try to use the decision making section for a bathroom break so you don't waste time on the important sections. Don't rush onto QR, make sure you are mentally prepared.

And thank you!
    Thank you! I am a grad student so I really need to get above 700...ek!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    ahh ok!! that's great! as long as QR doesn't have pie charts i'm fine
    Lol my QR had like 4 pie charts questions in it but they were okay! Have you done your test yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaydy3)
    Lol my QR had like 4 pie charts questions in it but they were okay! Have you done your test yet?
    ahhhh noooooo i'm terrible at pie charts!! what types of Qs were the pie chart ones? like where they the ones where you find the percentage when you're given the amount of people??

and no mines on 4th Oct!!! i'm doing pretty bad atm tbh so i'm pretty scared

ReputationRep:
    I know last year Manchester wanted 650 so I hope I make it this year as I absolutely love Manchester!its a risk but tbh I'm limited anyway with what uni's I can apply to so I think I'll take it. I'll have to look into Plymouth as don't they use sub section scores for ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Last year Manchester wanted an average of 662.5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hutch28)
    Last year Manchester wanted an average of 662.5
    I was just going off of this but thank you! Gonna research them all this weekend anyway!Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474583132.188982.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  85.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if i wanted to get into kings, would i have to be predicted AAA??

ReputationRep:
    I was just going off of this but thank you! Gonna research them all this weekend anyway!Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474583132.188982.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for this table it's very helpful!!!! Well done on your 667 average that's amazing!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackster556)
    Thanks for this table it's very helpful!!!! Well done on your 667 average that's amazing!!!!!
    Thank you I'm very happy, just hope it's enough for where I want!😘

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck, i spent 3ish hours calling up almost every single uni asking how they select people for interview and what the ratios are like. Sometimes the websites does not give the full story so its always best to phone up. Oh and btw, the person on the phone for exeter has NO CLUE for the second year running, so email them aha

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Omg thanks for posting this! Its the most consolidated piece of medicine related information I've seen yet!

And good job on your UKCAT! That's a great score

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamly042)
    GCHC / Yorkhill by any chance?

Also volunteering at the Royal children's!
    Oh i might see you there. If you don't mind me asking how are your stats looking. Just comparing whether i have a shotthis year or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    Good luck, i spent 3ish hours calling up almost every single uni asking how they select people for interview and what the ratios are like. Sometimes the websites does not give the full story so its always best to phone up. Oh and btw, the person on the phone for exeter has NO CLUE for the second year running, so email them aha
    Thank you! Haha I have emailed them already (and not phoned) don't think I'll be applying to Exeter as I'm predicted A*A*A I believe happy but can't apply to Exeter with that tbh. I'm planning on ringing all the uni's I want and just bombarding them with questions lmao they will hate me 😂 just don't want to waste an application as my ukcat is good but it's not safe if you get me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaysinn)
    Omg thanks for posting this! Its the most consolidated piece of medicine related information I've seen yet!

And good job on your UKCAT! That's a great score
    Thank you! and it's from Medcracker (Facebook page I think) don't wanna be taking the credit 😜

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.