Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    But if you want to leave then the onus is on you to suggest an alternative to alleviate the potential consequences.

Otherwise you just say 'we want to leave' and its up to the government to sort it out. If the government genuinely feels that it's not in our best interests to leave and that the result would be crippling then it's more than entitled to demand that the leave campaign spell out an alternative.
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    The problem is that there is no way to take us out without causing severe damage. We're not asking you to predict what the government will do, we're asking you to provide a single non-catastrophic and realistic (read: we don't get pie-in-the-sky level trade deals) leave scenario. The problem, of course, for Brexiters, is that Brexit would range from very bad to catastrophic no matter what happens, so this cannot be answered.
    2% weaker growth over a decade, considering allegations there will be a recession (which means about 5% lower growth in reality) is hardly "very bad." Even the worst case projections show at least equivalent growth in the long term. And we are being asked to predict government actions, why else is it always "which of these pre defined models are you going to go for" rather than "what would you like to see in the agreement"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    ZHCs are the most productive contracts a company can offer. If you have a few employees and all of them are on ZHCs you have a very productive workforce, the more people you have on ZHCs the more output you have and the more that your company grows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Eh, that's a rather dubious argument otherwise we're calling McDonalds and Sports Direct some of the most productive companies in the UK which is clearly nonsense. An employer has no incentive to implement long-term productivity-boosting measures like training and upskilling as the flexibility applies both ways. Equally, workers who don't need the flexibility have less morale as they lack job security, thus affecting worker output. ZHCs are appropriate for some people but shouldn't be applied for the whole workforce.

On the trade deal topic, I think it's important to remember that the EU is as much a political project as it is an economic one. Sure, if they were rational, they would strike a trade deal with preferable terms for both parties but if it becomes clear that you can leave and enjoy much of the benefits without paying the costs, others will look to do the same which I very much doubt the EU will want to encourage, even at the cost of a Lose-Lose situation in which they play hardball and refuse single market access (as the political future of Europe is deemed of greater value than reduced costs of trading with us). Indeed, if they were rational, surely they would've long struck the trade deals with China, India et al that the Leave camp are convinced they have stopped us having, yet we're now expecting them to act rationally with us post-Brexit? I'm rather skeptical.

ReputationRep:
    As i've said elsewhere, i believe that whether and how quickly we get an adequate deal (which most probably deem as keeping us in the single market) largely comes down to how fast and far we are willing to capitulate to the EU on immigration.

If the negotiating team don't give ground on immigration then we'll probably see the negotiations lasting years with a larger negative effect on the economy in that period. If the government has them capitulate quickly to get a deal then the effects will be comparatively mild but of course the Tories then risk being scolded by the electorate for it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Cameron's off to a good start of not answering the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    2% weaker growth over a decade, considering allegations there will be a recession (which means about 5% lower growth in reality) is hardly "very bad." Even the worst case projections show at least equivalent growth in the long term. And we are being asked to predict government actions, why else is it always "which of these pre defined models are you going to go for" rather than "what would you like to see in the agreement"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think it's at all unreasonable or unfair to ask the leave campaign to present a viable alternative, since they are advocating change.
    We are not asking for precise and intricate details, just a viable blueprint.

Since the government feels it is best to stay, the onus is clearly on the leave campaign to present an alternative, otherwise the government is knowingly walking us off a cliff.

ReputationRep:
    Cameron's off to a good start of not answering the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lousy pm 😉
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I don't think it's at all unreasonable or unfair to ask the leave campaign to present a viable alternative, since they are advocating change.
    We are not asking for precise and intricate details, just a viable blueprint.

Since the government feels it is best to stay, the onus is clearly on the leave campaign to present an alternative, otherwise the government is knowingly walking us off a cliff.
    If the government thinks we're going to have a 5pc recession (which Cameron is saying right now) and that the world will start falling apart why call it in the first place? If it really is so dangerous then they should have said so as an explanation why it's so dangerous and thus that there will be no referendum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If the government thinks we're going to have a 5pc recession (which Cameron is saying right now) and that the world will start falling apart why call it in the first place? If it really is so dangerous then they should have said so as an explanation why it's so dangerous and thus that there will be no referendum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps. But that doesn't take away from the point that the leave campaign haven't presented a viable alternative.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes, but that doesn't mean that they'd do that though... Because the fear of UKIP and a backbench revolt stopped them. Ultimately DC cares more about his job then the country.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with him but Cameron has a clear message here and he's doing a good job.

I've also now put my money where my mouth is and trusted my gold standard pollsters (Ipsos, Comres, ICM). Money on Leave at odds of 9/4.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    yes, but that doesn't mean that they'd do that though... Because the fear of UKIP and a backbench revolt stopped them. Ultimately DC cares more about his job then the country.
    He says staying is best for jobs, yeah, his and Gideon's: D

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Good to see Cameron saying that there will be no GE if leave wins. That's a hit for leave.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Perhaps. But that doesn't take away from the point that the leave campaign haven't presented a viable alternative.
    Should you not be asking Mr Cameron and Hammond what they plan to do, or at least who Cameron would make Foreign Minister?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    He says staying is best for jobs, yeah, his and Gideon's: D

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And the U.K. In general... For the workers who are in TNC's who are based in the UK to access the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I don't agree with him but Cameron has a clear message here and he's doing a good job.

I've also now put my money where my mouth is and trusted my gold standard pollsters (Ipsos, Comres, ICM). Money on Leave at odds of 9/4.
    I think this could come down to a few thousand votes either way.

I also wonder/hope if there may be such thing as a 'shy remain voter'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Good to see Cameron saying that there will be no GE if leave wins. That's a hit for leave.
    How? Do you seriously think leave wanted a GE? It's perhaps the worst thing that Parliament could do if we leave

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think this could come down to a few thousand votes either way.

I also wonder/hope if there may be such thing as a 'shy remain voter'.
    I definitely think there is such a thing as a shy Remain voter.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    How? Do you seriously think leave wanted a GE? It's perhaps the worst thing that Parliament could do if we leave

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some Labour leave voters think the story disarray will help a Corbynite Labour Party win a snap election.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)

His clear message is on the wrong lines though, instead of sending a positive message about the EU and how great his renegotiation was (you'd think it never happened the amount you hear about it) and instead about how leaving will end the world, and do an extent where it simply gets him ignored and laughed at, the only people who bought the revenge budget are the hardliners

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As I've told you before the leftist leavers want it to cause a GE to get Cameron out. By catagoricaly ruling it out he's damaged the left leave vote.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.