The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5540
I applied for student finance, got accepted, received a confirmation etc etc (for 2011 entry).

How can I change something on the form? I may have checked the 'do not consider me for bursaries' box by accident. Also, I need to change the university I said I was going to. :s-smilie:
Reply 5541
Original post by flipshot
9 months after the start of the academic year - so May/June 2012.

ahh okay thanks!

Original post by AMY.OX
they did this to me, you need to ring them up and ask what the mistakes are. They sent mine back because the person who did mine didnt include a phone number.

okay :smile: i shall do so
Original post by k3ro
I applied for student finance, got accepted, received a confirmation etc etc (for 2011 entry).

How can I change something on the form? I may have checked the 'do not consider me for bursaries' box by accident. Also, I need to change the university I said I was going to. :s-smilie:

You can phone them up to provide your consent to share financial information. Your parent(s)/sponsor(s) will also need to do this. This will mean that your uni can see your household income and make an assessment as to your bursary entitlement.
With regards changing your uni, you will need to either change this online via your account or download and complete a CO1 form as soon as they become available. One of my friends managed to persuade the SLC to change her details over the phone.
Reply 5543
Original post by glf2110
You can phone them up to provide your consent to share financial information. Your parent(s)/sponsor(s) will also need to do this. This will mean that your uni can see your household income and make an assessment as to your bursary entitlement.
With regards changing your uni, you will need to either change this online via your account or download and complete a CO1 form as soon as they become available. One of my friends managed to persuade the SLC to change her details over the phone.

Thanks a lot for the help! :smile:
Reply 5544
I've got all my maintenance loan all sorted out.

However, because Student Finance were asking for proof that my parents are divorced, my application is currently not taking earnings into account, so they're not giving me any grant.

The decree nisi for their separation has finally come through, however on the Student Finance site, it says they no longer need anything from me and my mum. Still with no grant allocated.

Should I just shove it in the post to them and hope they get it? Or do I ring up? And will I get the grant before January? I've got enough savings to hold me over until then, but after that I'm pretty much screwed without the grant if I can't get a part-time job.
Original post by desku

However, because Student Finance were asking for proof that my parents are divorced, my application is currently not taking earnings into account, so they're not giving me any grant.

The decree nisi for their separation has finally come through, however on the Student Finance site, it says they no longer need anything from me and my mum. Still with no grant allocated.

Should I just shove it in the post to them and hope they get it? Or do I ring up? And will I get the grant before January? I've got enough savings to hold me over until then, but after that I'm pretty much screwed without the grant if I can't get a part-time job.

Give them a ring. Obscure times like Sundays are good times to call as most people think that theyre shut.
Original post by desku

You can't just post it to them, as it needs to have a barcoded covering letter so that they can process it. For Decree Absolutes, they don't require the original one, only a copy - unlike all other legal/personal documents!

Ring up to get them to open the option on the site, and then you can print out a letter and send it off. Grant comes through in thirds alongside maintenance loan, so you should get it 4 days after your university or college has confirmed your attendance. Once they have everything it really doesn't take them that long to get everything sorted out, so I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. :smile:
I've got a quick question. My dad was recently made redundant and I've never applied for household based income before. Do I contact student finance? How do I prove he's now unemployed?
Reply 5548
Original post by glf2110
Give them a ring. Obscure times like Sundays are good times to call as most people think that theyre shut.

I thought they were shut on Sunday too! :colondollar: Will ring them tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Original post by Vinchenko
You can't just post it to them, as it needs to have a barcoded covering letter so that they can process it. For Decree Absolutes, they don't require the original one, only a copy - unlike all other legal/personal documents!

Ring up to get them to open the option on the site, and then you can print out a letter and send it off. Grant comes through in thirds alongside maintenance loan, so you should get it 4 days after your university or college has confirmed your attendance. Once they have everything it really doesn't take them that long to get everything sorted out, so I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. :smile:

Alright, I will do when I ring them tomorrow. Thanks for the help too!
Original post by un-jardin-sur-le-nil
I've got a quick question. My dad was recently made redundant and I've never applied for household based income before. Do I contact student finance? How do I prove he's now unemployed?

Are you a current student or new student in 2011/12?

Think you'll need a current year assessment for 2011 so they work out your income on current year and not 2 years ago. http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_196602.pdf
Original post by glf2110
Are you a current student or new student in 2011/12?

Think you'll need a current year assessment for 2011 so they work out your income on current year and not 2 years ago. http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_196602.pdf

I'm going into my third year, its a placement year and I'm doing an unpaid placement. I'm not paying any tuition fees this year and I was hoping for some maintenance grant.
Original post by un-jardin-sur-le-nil

Unfortunately, I don't think this will make a difference to the amount you're entitled to this year, as this year is based on tax year 09-10. My Dad had 6 months out of work shortly after that tax year ended, but it doesn't make any difference to my entitlement this year. It should affect what I get next year though.

You should probably still give them a ring just to make sure and clarify the situation :smile:

The system sucks for things like this :s-smilie:
I'm a bit confused with student finance. I'm independent, 17, living in supported accommodation on benefits and working, I have for the year before uni, but it's saying I still have to take my parent's income into account, is that right?!
Original post by Rachel08
Unfortunately, I don't think this will make a difference to the amount you're entitled to this year, as this year is based on tax year 09-10. My Dad had 6 months out of work shortly after that tax year ended, but it doesn't make any difference to my entitlement this year. It should affect what I get next year though.

You should probably still give them a ring just to make sure and clarify the situation :smile:

The system sucks for things like this :s-smilie:

It will, you can ask for a current income assessment to be made if the difference in income between 09/10 and the current tax year is likely to be 15% lower. You apply as normal with the 09/10 tax year and then complete a current income assessment form with estimates of what the income will be this year 11/12 - they will then pay you based on this estimate. Then in April 2012 you will need to send them the P60 to backup what you estimated, if you estimated less than what was earnt they will ask for any overpayment back.

So they system doesn't suck at all, I don't see how they could be any fairer really - they can't ask for the current details from everyone as they won't have them.
Original post by quantumgnomes
I'm a bit confused with student finance. I'm independent, 17, living in supported accommodation on benefits and working, I have for the year before uni, but it's saying I still have to take my parent's income into account, is that right?!

Yes, you need to have been independent for at least 3 years before the start of uni.
It will, you can ask for a current income assessment to be made if the difference in income between 09/10 and the current tax year is likely to be 15% lower. You apply as normal with the 09/10 tax year and then complete a current income assessment form with estimates of what the income will be this year 11/12 - they will then pay you based on this estimate. Then in April 2012 you will need to send them the P60 to backup what you estimated, if you estimated less than what was earnt they will ask for any overpayment back.

So they system doesn't suck at all, I don't see how they could be any fairer really - they can't ask for the current details from everyone as they won't have them.

Yep, that is true, but it was in the tax year between 09/10 and the current one, which makes no difference to mine unfortunately :frown:

But will help the person who originally asked the question so thanks :smile:
Yes, you need to have been independent for at least 3 years before the start of uni.

But that's ridiculous, I'm not earning much £30 per week and I've always wanted this and it's not like i'm on good enough terms to get money from them, sixth form is partly why I was moved out , they wouldn't support me then.
But that's ridiculous, I'm not earning much £30 per week and I've always wanted this and it's not like i'm on good enough terms to get money from them, sixth form is partly why I was moved out , they wouldn't support me then.

Maybe give student finance a ring. Also you could try ringing your uni to get some advice. Other than that I don't really know what to say, I hope you get it all sorted :smile:

Problem is they would have everyone claiming this otherwise, so they have the draw the line somewhere.

You can still get the minimum amounts without providing your parents information.
Problem is they would have everyone claiming this otherwise, so they have the draw the line somewhere.

You can still get the minimum amounts without providing your parents information.

But i'm living in council sheltered accomadation , surely that has to show something, that i'm not got anything to do with them. It's just minimum, probably won't be enough to cover a years accommodation, it's not like I can go home for the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending