Maths Uni Chat Watch

Meteorshower
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just finished copying out my entire differential equations course notes. Note to self - take notes in lectures this time.

Who here has January exams?
TheNihilist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Meteorshower)
Just finished copying out my entire differential equations course notes. Note to self - take notes in lectures this time.

Who here has January exams?
Yeah, same here. Need to make lots of notes from analysis, stats and O.R.

I got 2 test in Jan, one on multivariable maths and the other on Stats and OR.
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Uni is stressing me out. Read that if you don't get a first you won't get funding to do a PhD, so pretty much have to get a first. Something like the Government funding for Science, particularly Pure Maths has dried up.

On January exams. I love the person in charge of making exams, three exams in three days without no breaks.

All at 2pm, so that the only good thing.

Having trouble deciding what to do next semester.

Like have to choose between, Vector spaces of QM, History of Maths, discrete Maths or Financial Maths.
around
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't understand why people complain about the lack of online lecture notes: not having lecture notes makes me pay attention during the actual lectures and I find I learn the material far better this way.

Especially the QM course where I switched off after the first lecture after seeing the notes available online, and then freaked the **** out because the online notes are nigh-on unintelligible.
stripy_and_nice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Intending graduate maths applicant to Cambridge here...carefully studying the Tripos schedules...and IA and IB course descriptions

Could someone tell me whether IB Complex Analysis depends on IB Analysis 2?

And what bits of IA Metric & Topological Spaces are pre-required...or useful?

Thanks!
Birgitta
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by around)
I don't understand why people complain about the lack of online lecture notes: not having lecture notes makes me pay attention during the actual lectures and I find I learn the material far better this way.

Especially the QM course where I switched off after the first lecture after seeing the notes available online, and then freaked the **** out because the online notes are nigh-on unintelligible.
choose;

hungover / cold / tired / ill

It is usually advisable to have notes on-line in case of the aforementioned.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I don't physically make notes. So it's good that they are online.

Also, my handwriting is crap.

Lectures are useless, don't really learn anything from them. Some people do.

The logic behind lectures is when paper and books didn't exist so it made sense to give out information orally. Now that makes no sense.
ForGreatJustice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I use online notes to read ahead, and because my handwriting is terrible. Though I still take notes even when there are printed ones, I just feel it helps memory.
harr
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I need to find a job.

My experience of the third year is that D courses shouldn't have online notes (because if they do I don't go to the lectures) and C courses should (because I don't go to the lectures anyway).
(Original post by stripy_and_nice)
Intending graduate maths applicant to Cambridge here...carefully studying the Tripos schedules...and IA and IB course descriptions

Could someone tell me whether IB Complex Analysis depends on IB Analysis 2?

And what bits of IA Metric & Topological Spaces are pre-required...or useful?

Thanks!
Birgitta
You don't need to know any Met+Top. You don't need Analysis II for Complex Analysis. What's useful depends on what you want to do. Every second year course is potentially useful, but I doubt many people do all of them.

Generally it says in the schedules when any (non-first year) course is relevant.
stripy_and_nice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by harr)
You don't need to know any Met+Top. You don't need Analysis II for Complex Analysis. What's useful depends on what you want to do. Every second year course is potentially useful, but I doubt many people do all of them.

Generally it says in the schedules when any (non-first year) course is relevant.
Hi Harr and thanks for your help here. It's now sunk into my head that you don't need to do all the IB courses to get maximum marks...

The reason I wondered about Analysis 2 was that it's taught the term before CA. Would I lose anything by doing CA first and then Analysis 2 two terms later?? I'd like to get as much out of CA as possible...

As for M&T, the schedules say that "some" of it "will" prove useful for CA. The course descriptions say that the material in M&T is "very useful" for CA. They don't give similar advice for Complex Methods.

Do you know which bits of M&T they mean? The main M&T headers are

Metrics, Topology, Connectedness, Compactness

Thanks!
Birgitta
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi Harr and thanks for your help here. It's now sunk into my head that you don't need to do all the IB courses to get maximum marks...

The reason I wondered about Analysis 2 was that it's taught the term before CA. Would I lose anything by doing CA first and then Analysis 2 two terms later?? I'd like to get as much out of CA as possible...

As for M&T, the schedules say that "some" of it "will" prove useful for CA. The course descriptions say that the material in M&T is "very useful" for CA. They don't give similar advice for Complex Methods.

Do you know which bits of M&T they mean? The main M&T headers are

Metrics, Topology, Connectedness, Compactness

Thanks!
Birgitta
Connectedness and Compactness are constantly cropping up in CA [complex analysis abbreviation, hopefully].

Metric and Topology are obviously closely related, but it is difficult to say what you should know;

Spoiler:
Show
e.g. you don't need to know what a topology actually is in complex analysis and could just work with balls and their complements [balls are just sets of complex numbers that are a disc around some point, i.e. { z : |z-a| < r} is a ball centred at a with radius r]. Compactness is just a bounded set that is closed - i.e.e a square with its edge, a disc with its boundary.

Connectedness can also be given just by standard definitions in terms of balls [roughly, you also require some other definitions which on the surface do not appear to need such concepts].

Generally everything isn't necessarily easier if you do take topology it is just that so much is used there is found in CA in terms of balls - so you will have 'covered' the 'foundation' before.
stripy_and_nice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
Connectedness and Compactness are constantly cropping up in CA [complex analysis abbreviation, hopefully].

Metric and Topology are obviously closely related, but it is difficult to say what you should know;

e.g. you don't need to know what a topology actually is in complex analysis and could just work with balls and their complements [balls are just sets of complex numbers that are a disc around some point, i.e. { z : |z-a| < r} is a ball centred at a with radius r]. Compactness is just a bounded set that is closed - i.e.e a square with its edge, a disc with its boundary.

Connectedness can also be given just by standard definitions in terms of balls [roughly, you also require some other definitions which on the surface do not appear to need such concepts].

Generally everything isn't necessarily easier if you do take topology it is just that so much is used there is found in CA in terms of balls - so you will have 'covered' the 'foundation' before.
Thanks Dean. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to fit in the whole of M&T before doing CA. Do you think it would be sufficient to study, say, the 3 chapters on Connectedness and Compactness in Wilson Sutherland's Introduction to Metric and Topological Spaces?

Also, would you envisage any problems with not having done any of Analysis 2 before I do CA?

Birgitta
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks Dean. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to fit in the whole of M&T before doing CA. Do you think it would be sufficient to study, say, the 3 chapters on Connectedness and Compactness in Wilson Sutherland's Introduction to Metric and Topological Spaces?

Also, would you envisage any problems with not having done any of Analysis 2 before I do CA?

Birgitta
You shouldn't get worked up about not having covered anything. Everything will be proved in notes / during the course.

It is just the small stuff really; not small in the sense of depth or scope but simply such things as;

Let B be a closed and bounded (compact) subset of the complex numbers (C) and let f: B -> C be continuous. It follows f(B) is compact.

In the topology course you would have the result:

Let f : X --> Y be continuous and X be compact. Then f(X) is compact.

The results are pretty much the same - the method of proof would also be very likely to be the same.

Or let E be a connected subset of the complex numbers, then f(E) is connected.

Similarly we have let f : X -> Y be continuous and E a subset of X that is connected. Then f(E) is connected.

Yes that is an excellent book.

Good luck!

* obviously it is beneficial to know all this stuff before but it certainly is not necessary (I do not have access to the file though I recall looking at some Analysis 2 notes a long time ago and it just seemed to comprise of a collection of results extended to R^n) though the course might have changed as these were old, old notes.
stripy_and_nice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hashshashin)
(Original post by tommm)
Out of curiosity, what's the par for number of questions completed on an examples sheet?
That early in first year? Probably ~75%.
Does it go up or down as time goes on?
around
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I definitely didn't do 75% towards the end of IA.
Unbounded
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd be willing to bet a good number of people got less than 50% of N+S sheet 4.
qgujxj39
Report 8 years ago
I only did 3 questions properly on groups 3.
stripy_and_nice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At Cambridge, how does it work if you are publicly funded and want to stay publicly funded for 4 years to get the MMath? Do you:

a) collect BA at end of 3rd year and then collect MMath at end of 4th?
b) turn down BA at end of 3rd, and collect only the MMath at end of 4th?
c) turn down BA at end of 3rd, and collect both BA and MMath at end of 4th?

Thanks!
Mary
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tommm)
I only did 3 questions properly on groups 3.
I take it Simplicity's advice was close to your heart.
Slumpy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At Cambridge, how does it work if you are publicly funded and want to stay publicly funded for 4 years to get the MMath? Do you:

a) collect BA at end of 3rd year and then collect MMath at end of 4th?
b) turn down BA at end of 3rd, and collect only the MMath at end of 4th?
c) turn down BA at end of 3rd, and collect both BA and MMath at end of 4th?

Thanks!
Mary
I think if you stay on, you don't graduate in third year, you just do it in 4th year(and I think it happens automatically to an extent). Don't know which you collect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (285)
37.75%
No - but I will (53)
7.02%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.28%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
47.95%

Watched Threads