Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Totally off topic but, holy crap this is awesome after ~1.40ish

ReputationRep:
    Grrrr i cant get no sleep....
    Delusional after the first day..........great!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Totally off topic but, holy crap this is awesome after ~1.40ish
    Pld

ReputationRep:
    BBC News - 'Birmingham hospital error paralysed Newport teenager'

ReputationRep:
    What were they doing to here that needed an epidural in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Two days? Must have been one hell of an op.

ReputationRep:
    Two days? Must have been one hell of an op.
    Epidurals stay in up to four days.

ReputationRep:
    After some brief PubMed-ing, it seems there's some discussion on lap cholecystectomy and regional anaesthesia. Apparently not as uncommon as it once was wrt those with no contraindications for general anaesthesia (which would appear to be the case with this girl).

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Epidurals stay in up to four days.
    Seriously? Wow, fail on my part then. I always figured they were on for the op then off (presuming it wasn't incredibly painful).

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? Wow, fail on my part then. I always figured they were on for the op then off (presuming it wasn't incredibly painful).
    They're really quite good for post-op analgesia, although I haven't seen them used outside of proper laparotomies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    What were the questions like? Anything like progress testing?

That is a little annoying, i'm assuming that they have yet to decide how results will be assessed and feedback given. I think they are using these trials to develop standardisation and marking.
    I wasn't impressed by them. Essentially, each scenario gave 5 options, of which all had to be ranked in order of approriateness. Chosing positions 1 and 5 is fairly easy, but apparently it is the differentiation of the middle three that gets most of the marks. On questioning the pilot lead it also turns out that this setup was designed because it matched well with scores from the white space application system.....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    I wasn't impressed by them. Essentially, each scenario gave 5 options, of which all had to be ranked in order of approriateness. Chosing positions 1 and 5 is fairly easy, but apparently it is the differentiation of the middle three that gets most of the marks. On questioning the pilot lead it also turns out that this setup was designed because it matched well with scores from the white space application system.....
    Well so far 1,000 people have completed the pilot. So I am assuming the purpose of the research over then next few years, before its launch will be to test its validity and see if it compare to the white space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    Well so far 1,000 people have completed the pilot. So I am assuming the purpose of the research over then next few years, before its launch will be to test its validity and see if it compare to the white space.
    But my understanding was that they considered the white space questions a valid form of assessment and were therefore matching the scores in the SJ tests to the white space questions. That's the worrying thing - they didn't see the problem with the white space questions; the reason they stated for the change was that they were running out of feasible questions to ask without repeating.

I've said this before, but in all honesty I believe random allocations after preferences have been stated is a much better system than anything allocated. All other systems seem to rely on arbitrary scores not related to medical ability.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15773629

It's a long shot but does anyone have access to this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tech)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15773629

It's a long shot but does anyone have access to this?
    Not that much of a long shot
    Why do you need it though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Not that much of a long shot
    Why do you need it though?
    Been pretty interested in one of the research projects available for ibsc! :beard:

It's looking in to a new way of processing x-rays which is based on x-ray refraction in addition to the normal way of attenuation... could greatly increase x-ray contrast resolution, and would be particularly useful for looking at fibrous tissues ie mammography...

the whole project looks really interesting, but the physics seems pretty nasty... when you look at the pictures, it's pretty obvious the new method is better:

(new method is top)

but they're trying to quantify the difference. In that paper I think someone has done a similar thing for a slightly older technology based on the same principles - I'm wondering if they show the derivations for their new definitions, as it may give me some idea of the kind of standard I'd need to be at for this project (pretty worried I'm not up to the job )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    After some brief PubMed-ing, it seems there's some discussion on lap cholecystectomy and regional anaesthesia. Apparently not as uncommon as it once was wrt those with no contraindications for general anaesthesia (which would appear to be the case with this girl).

:holmes:
    I haven't read anything, am now confused, do you mean CI for lapchloe or specifically for regional blockade with lapC as opposed to GA?

Also, on a tangent, the article implies it went wrong because o placement, but this sounds like haematoma?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Oh I know NI doesn't work how. But that is what it is supposed to be.

I am against most taxation. But NI, VAT, Income and CAP gains are the worse (In that order).
    There are better ways of raising revenue. I would love to see an LVT come in.

I have no problem with educating people properly but carrot and stick with no ability to opt out is wrong in my opinion. Pooling risk totally and then telling people they are too high risk and must change without giving them the option to go, 'actually I want to live like this and I want to opt out of the system' is wrong.
    What is LVT?

Pooling risk works on the principle that few people need very expesive treatments and most people need relatively cheap treatments that can be made cheaper through econmies of scale. If everyone needed ITU the system would break down. The NHS is in some ways far too good - as people get older, care is more expensive, tilting the balance - so we either have to make things cheaper, or look to limit the things that we do. If we could encourage people to take more of that responsibility, that would help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    What is LVT?

Pooling risk works on the principle that few people need very expesive treatments and most people need relatively cheap treatments that can be made cheaper through econmies of scale. If everyone needed ITU the system would break down. The NHS is in some ways far too good - as people get older, care is more expensive, tilting the balance - so we either have to make things cheaper, or look to limit the things that we do. If we could encourage people to take more of that responsibility, that would help.
    Sorry, Land value tax. Similar to council tax but rather than a tax on property is only on the bas land rental value. Impossible to avoid unlike many taxes (people refuse to pay you can take the land!) and doesn't have the problems of things like VAT which are regressive and income tax which is a tax on productivity. It also discourages people sitting on un utilised land.

I think it is inevitable we limit the system. We can't do everything without ramping up tax. I would not be surprised to see 2 tier healthcare opening up in the UK. It has been resisted but at some point the current model will be unsustainable.

ReputationRep:
    It seems strange that in the SJT most of the points are for getting the middle answers in the right order. Surely if you know what is the best thing to do in the situation, in real life you would just do that? You wouldn't need to know what your second best option would be. Or are you meant to know that in case you can't carry out option one for some reason? I'm not a fan of the idea, or a particularly big fan of the white space questions. I agree that completely random allocation would probably be better. I quite like the idea of a national medical knowledge exam. I would probably do rubbish in it but I would like to know how I compare to people outside my university. But no-where seems keen for that, which is understandable because it would be quite hard to make an exam that isn't biased towards certain medical schools.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.