Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone accepted an offer at University of Leeds for primary?

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview today for 11-18 History at CCCU, so nervous. I really really want the place.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to my first choice (Southampton) in apply 1 but I didn't get in.

If I re-apply in apply 2 will I realistically stand a better chance of getting in this time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceofficer_1)
    I applied to my first choice (Southampton) in apply 1 but I didn't get in.

If I re-apply in apply 2 will I realistically stand a better chance of getting in this time?
    To the same place? It depends on why you didn't get in in the first place. If it was lack of school experience then that is easily rectified by getting more and then emailing them to let them know. However, if it was something on your application form, then it won't make any difference because you can't change your form. You need to get feedback, I think!

ReputationRep:
    Ha I know, haven't found anybody on my course yet...

(Original post by cld1989)
    Ah so you will be in the same city as me.. I am just curious who is gonna be with me on the course Congratulations on your place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinitus)
    Ha I know, haven't found anybody on my course yet...
    Same. I don't really know how to look for them! I probably won't know any until September.

ReputationRep:
    I've just accepted my offer for PGDipEd Primary at University of Birmingham. So relieved to have got all the interviews out of the way.

Just the skills tests hanging over me now...

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Has anyone received offers for PGCE primary at Brunel or Hertfordshire???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel_x)
    Anyone recieved an offer from Brunel?
    Hi,

I got a conditional offer for primary. Did you get an offer?

ReputationRep:
    Had my QTS literacy test today!!!and i found it incredibly funny that there was a typo and a spelling mistake!!testing my skills yet the test was wrong too haha...good job i passed or i would not have been happy!only numeracy to go now!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MS90)
    Had my QTS literacy test today!!!and i found it incredibly funny that there was a typo and a spelling mistake!!testing my skills yet the test was wrong too haha...good job i passed or i would not have been happy!only numeracy to go now!!
    There were mistakes in mine too. And in the numeracy.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling sick with nerves whilst I wait for a decision after my interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squoosh25)
    There were mistakes in mine too. And in the numeracy.
    Haha...not the best thing...when you are meant to be good at it all to become a teacher...n the tests have mistakes haha

ReputationRep:
    Had anyone looked at the health questionnaires we have to complete? I'm a bit worried because they ask whether you have had eczema before and I have had a small bout of it in the past, do you think this would stop me from getting a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlankTen)
    The awkward moment when a university emails you asking you to reply with your first and second year transcript, you reply advising them the requested document is attached, but you forget to actually attach it to the email.

Note to self: Don't reply to emails when you're half asleep.
    Did this with science GCSE certificate. And then spelt science incorrectly because I rushed resending it. They've already accepted me now haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethanyglowe)
    Hi, I'm still waiting in apply 1 for Derby! I did send my application lateish though (3rd January).
    Have you heard from derby yet!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_cook92)
    Had anyone looked at the health questionnaires we have to complete? I'm a bit worried because they ask whether you have had eczema before and I have had a small bout of it in the past, do you think this would stop me from getting a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't panic!

The OH assessments are designed to ensure you have the support that you need during the course, not to penalise or catch you out.

Of course there are some conditions which could hinder your participation in the course, but these are things you'll likely already be aware of/will have come up at interview etc. I can't see how eczema would be an issue!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hey can anyone help me please, I have a PGCE interview for early years coming up soon and I have to take in either a book, object or artefact that can be used to stimulate children's learning. I have to describe how I would use it.. I think it's a bit vague and don't know whether to take in something general or take in something that the children could learn something specific from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    Hey can anyone help me please, I have a PGCE interview for early years coming up soon and I have to take in either a book, object or artefact that can be used to stimulate children's learning. I have to describe how I would use it.. I think it's a bit vague and don't know whether to take in something general or take in something that the children could learn something specific from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Personally I'd go for a book. Can't go wrong with a book! Books are awesome and so good for learning.

Go to a bookshop with a good stock of picture books and look through them, and find something you really like that they might not have seen before. Of course, them having seen it before is not an automatic fail or even close, but it's always nice to see something new and it shows that you have put some thought and time in to the choice, rather than grabbing the first Julia Donaldson book off the shelf.

Personally, I would expect them to be looking for more general 'potential' over specific ideas (especially since they have been so vague about it). So for example... in an interview for a school I took the book 'Big' about a boy growing up, the first thing was just to read and discuss the book with them, and I 'brainstormed' how I would use it for discussing growth and change (making timelines, sequencing, comparing to others), family, measurement, different kinds of activities (like measuring people in popcorn, making measuring charts), talking about different places in the book etc etc, other books I might read with it like that one which has animal body parts to scale...

Basically, choose a book and read it, start scribbling down ideas for things it might lead to and you'll soon find you have a nice list of activities that you could do or interesting discussions you could have/things the children might want to explore more based on the book.

Of course, all this is from what I've seen. I know every uni is different so it's possible some may want more structure/more detail about one activity. So I'd recommend at least thinking through one or two of the ideas in more detail so you can expand on those if needed. It might be worth chatting to someone on the admissions team to find out more detail on exactly what they are looking for/would prefer. Explain that you have several ideas, but weren't sure if they were looking for a more general overview or a single idea explained in detail (to show you have thought about it).

Good luck and remember, what they'll really want to see is your passion and commitment!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missR01)
    yes I have!!
    Aw congrats to you. Where are you from? Have u done your skills tests yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.