Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXIV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    Which genuine world class strikers do you think would go to Arsenal? To his credit Giroud has done a pretty good job for a £10m forward.

Ibra or Cavani may be available this Summer, but unless they're hell bent on joining Arsenal for a massive pay cut it's unlikely. Other than that I'm not sure anyone hugely better than Giroud is feasible. I guess the likes of Lacazzette and Bacca are available, but are they huge improvements on Giroud?
    Giroud should score double the goals he does in this side. Yes Lacazette is a sizable improvement on Giroud and if we can pay Theo Walcott £140,000 a week then I'm sure we can stretch a bit further for Cavani. In the time we've had Giroud your namesake, Higuain, Lewandowski, Tevez, Higuain, Griezmann and Dybala have all transferred clubs. All of the are vastly superior to Giroud. Now don't tell me we couldn't have got a single one of those. We could still sign Griezmann, Higuaín, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Cavani, etc. if we Wenger actually stumps up the money necessary to buy top players these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welkom)
    Giroud should score double the goals he does in this side. Yes Lacazette is a sizable improvement on Giroud and if we can pay Theo Walcott £140,000 a week then I'm sure we can stretch a bit further for Cavani. In the time we've had Giroud your namesake, Higuain, Lewandowski, Tevez, Higuain, Griezmann and Dybala have all transferred clubs. All of the are vastly superior to Giroud. Now don't tell me we couldn't have got a single one of those. We could still sign Griezmann, Higuaín, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Cavani, etc. if we Wenger actually stumps up the money necessary to buy top players these days.
    I'm not sure Lacazette is a huge improvement on Giroud, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Lewandowski was never feasible, he was going to Bayern or Madrid. Griezmann I doubt is/was feasible. He signed for Atletico the season after they won the best League in the world and reached the CL Final. With Atletico's transfer ban, I doubt they sell their best player. Higuain was a bottler until this season, I wouldn't have bothered if I were Arsenal. Tevez I think wanted to leave England, otherwise he'd have just stayed at Citeh. Costa was a maybe, I don't know if he was feasible or not. Dybala is the only feasible player I think they could have definitely gotten.

This season he could pay £60m for Higuain or get Cavani/Ibra but I'm no sure who else world class is available.

ReputationRep:
    all you guys looking for "World Class" strikers, forget it we need a "World Class" manager

ReputationRep:
    Imagine genuinely believing Lacazette is an improvement on Giroud. Bigger #penfraud than Kane and Deeney combined and a bigger #flattrackbully than Suarez.

Neither is what is required, and Walcott needs to step the **** up if he thinks he has a future at this club. Fully expect Giroud to go on a mad one now for the rest of the season to convince Wengs we don't need a new striker tbf.

ReputationRep:
    Man says Kane is a fraud.

Are you actually Bully? He thinks the same thing you know.

ReputationRep:
    lol city.

No chance at the title for them this year. Its leicsters, or if they fail, arsenal.

City 3rd, spurs 4th.

ReputationRep:
    Good. So now City can't overtake us even if they beat Newcastle. West Ham away is absolutely crucial now, lose and our top four place is under threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Good. So now City can't overtake us even if they beat Newcastle. West Ham away is absolutely crucial now, lose and our top four place is under threat.
    Well if it helps, you're gonna get violated in the CL so only have to focus on the FA Cup and PL

Quick question. If two top 6 sides get in to the FA Cup final, will the EL place go to 7th place in the league?
    If so, please get to the final against West Ham/United thx

ReputationRep:
    they have to face chelsea before us.. could be an interesting game cheering for chelsea in that one.

Their record against the traditional top6, is something to be amazed at this year though, in all comps:

W7 D3 L1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Well if it helps, you're gonna get violated in the CL so only have to focus on the FA Cup and PL

Quick question. If two top 6 sides get in to the FA Cup final, will the EL place go to 7th place in the league?
    If so, please get to the final against West Ham/United thx
    Yh the EL place will go to 7th provided that City finish in the top 6 and the FA cup winner also finishes in the top 6. As it stands, if either United, West Ham or Arsenal win the FA cup, 7th place will get EL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Yh the EL place will go to 7th provided that City finish in the top 6 and the FA cup winner also finishes in the top 6. As it stands, if either United, West Ham or Arsenal win the FA cup, 7th place will get EL.
    Doesn't FA Cup runner up get EL place?
    I know the League Cup runner up doesn't but I wondered if it was different?

If so, we should be rooting for United/West Ham and Arsenal because it means we won't have to worry about finishing ahead of United or West Ham - it'll just be a matter of holding off Chelsea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Doesn't FA Cup runner up get EL place?
    I know the League Cup runner up doesn't but I wondered if it was different?

If so, we should be rooting for United/West Ham and Arsenal because it means we won't have to worry about finishing ahead of United or West Ham - it'll just be a matter of holding off Chelsea
    The rules changed last season so FA cup runners up don't get qualification anymore. Villa were FA cup runners up last season but didn't qualify for EL, it went to Liverpool instead (finished 6th) and the League cup qualification went to Southampton (finished 7th). Think West Ham also qualified via the Fair play League.

ReputationRep:
    Us not facing our lifetime demons again this season.
    But then again Watford might beat Us

P.s. Gabriel should do a Gareth Barry next time

ReputationRep:

P.s. Gabriel should do a Gareth Barry next time
    He already did that

ReputationRep:
    Our bogey team out of the cup. A United loss tomorrow and we'll be all set for a third consecutive cup. Will be small compensation for missing out on the league, but shouldn't be enough to keep Wenger in the job.

ReputationRep:
    The rules changed last season so FA cup runners up don't get qualification anymore. Villa were FA cup runners up last season but didn't qualify for EL, it went to Liverpool instead (finished 6th) and the League cup qualification went to Southampton (finished 7th). Think West Ham also qualified via the Fair play League.
    Oh right, at least I'm not making it up in my head then

Well that's good for us then! I'm just gonna root for West Ham

What about if a team qualifies via fair play but already has a spot? I assume it just go to the next highest fair play team but I doubt we're anywhere near due to Milner's red card

EDIT: just seen a quote saying: As of 2015, Fair Play no longer grants entry to the Europa League, instead only netting the victorious association a cash prize to be put towards "fair play or respect-themed projects".

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. There is no league cup qualification as far as I'm aware (Chelsea won it last year), winners of the FA Cup do get EL qualification but no longer the runners up. Hence why the spot went to Soton (7th) instead of Villa.

EDIT: only just realised what you meant, my bad. Yes you're right but Soton got EL place as a result of the FA Cup, not the league cup. Worded it very weirdly though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    Wrong. There is no league cup qualification as far as I'm aware (Chelsea won it last year), winners of the FA Cup do get EL qualification but no longer the runners up. Hence why the spy wet to Soton (7th) instead of Villa.

EDIT: only realised what you meant, my bad. Yes you're right.
    Love this post.

Wrong. Blah blah blah blah...oh you're right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Love this post.

Wrong. Blah blah blah blah...oh you're right.
    Loool went off that because I remember the Soton Twitter account wanting Arsenal to win the FA Cup final in order for them to get a spot in the EL. **** post from myself though.

ReputationRep:
    all you guys looking for "World Class" strikers, forget it we need a "World Class" manager
    Steve McLaren?!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.