Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I haven't read anything, am now confused, do you mean CI for lapchloe or specifically for regional blockade with lapC as opposed to GA?

Also, on a tangent, the article implies it went wrong because o placement, but this sounds like haematoma?
    My bad, I mean the latter (alas, the tangent is beyond me)

ReputationRep:
    Using an internet cafe is terrifyingly reminicsent of doing my exams. Scary stuff. Eastern Europe is nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    blah
    Aha! A mod to complain to...

Right so, this blindingly yellow background shabang on my homepage, when the hell will that be going away? :p:

No but seriously, yellow? Bright yellow? Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Aha! A mod to complain to...

Right so, this blindingly yellow background shabang on my homepage, when the hell will that be going away? :p:

No but seriously, yellow? Bright yellow? Really?
    When you sub

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    When you sub
    Haven't done so for a while. :o: The adverts aren't as distracting as they were in the past.
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    Yeah it did help me - think I can remember upper limb anatomy better than almost anything else of years 1-2. Never used an anatomy colouring book myself btw.

King's admin is such a fail. Been sent the emails to select SSC's for Rotation 1 - I'll be in Chichester and only the London SSC's have been put up, useless.
    I'll take some colours along then
    I know, their admin is literally SO bad. Whether it may be about exams, SSCs etc the list goes on...
    I only got my 6th choice taught SSC which has an exam so I'm kind of dreading that this year! Serves me right for putting it down in the first place

ReputationRep:
    Having just finished an essay about patient complience all I've managed to do is write 1500 words in how patients are morons but we must do our best to dispell all their asinine queeries and waste time not just treating them, but then convincing them that if they don't take their medication they *will* die.

I mean, I just read a paper where they had patients who refused HAART treatment for HIV/AIDS using the excuse they were going to overcome the disease with "strong will", "hardiness" and "inner strength". Are these people for real? Next they'll be swapping treatment for magic and fairy dust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    I'll take some colours along then
    I know, their admin is literally SO bad. Whether it may be about exams, SSCs etc the list goes on...
    I only got my 6th choice taught SSC which has an exam so I'm kind of dreading that this year! Serves me right for putting it down in the first place
    I ended up with my fifth choice (medical botany), which had an exam. Was a bit unsure at first but ended up really liking it and doing pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Having just finished an essay about patient complience all I've managed to do is write 1500 words in how patients are morons but we must do our best to dispell all their asinine queeries and waste time not just treating them, but then convincing them that if they don't take their medication they *will* die.

I mean, I just read a paper where they had patients who refused HAART treatment for HIV/AIDS using the excuse they were going to overcome the disease with "strong will", "hardiness" and "inner strength". Are these people for real? Next they'll be swapping treatment for magic and fairy dust.
    I'd rather they tried to cure it with that than by raping 5 year old children (there is a widespread belief in southern Africa that you can get rid of HIV by having sex with a virgin).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I think it is inevitable we limit the system. We can't do everything without ramping up tax. I would not be surprised to see 2 tier healthcare opening up in the UK. It has been resisted but at some point the current model will be unsustainable.
    Healthcare in this country has been two tier since the NHS's inception.

In any case, for what it's worth, there's a lot more we can with the current level of funding (not including the efficiency cuts) without raising additional taxes.

ReputationRep:

Have you read Bad Science, Ben Goldacre's book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Have you read Bad Science, Ben Goldacre's book?
    No, I have not. Should I?

ReputationRep:
    No, I have not. Should I?
    Definitely.

From memory, there's at least one chapter specifically about flogging alternative therapies to HIV/AIDS patients in Africa.

And the rest of it's pretty bloody interesting too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Healthcare in this country has been two tier since the NHS's inception.

In any case, for what it's worth, there's a lot more we can with the current level of funding (not including the efficiency cuts) without raising additional taxes.
    There are many efficiencies to do with patients. Charging patients might not be such a bad idea - research shows that when you pay, you appreciate it more, and that expensive placebos are more effective than cheap ones. Besides, if patients paid for treatments, it might make them more likely to comply, and if they don't, they stop accumilating pills that are never taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    There are many efficiencies to do with patients. Charging patients might not be such a bad idea - research shows that when you pay, you appreciate it more, and that expensive placebos are more effective than cheap ones. Besides, if patients paid for treatments, it might make them more likely to comply, and if they don't, they stop accumilating pills that are never taken.
    Sure, but patients have been paying for treatments anyway since prescription charges have been introduced. Also, the downsides of charging for treatments is that people may be put off accessing healthcare unnecessarily.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, but patients have been paying for treatments anyway since prescription charges have been introduced. Also, the downsides of charging for treatments is that people may be put off accessing healthcare unnecessarily.
    Most people don't need to pay for prescriptions though. A significant number of those with chronic illness are exempt (but not me! ) and the rest will pay by subscription - I pay £108 a year if I take £3700 worth of tablets or not.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Renal)
    Most people don't need to pay for prescriptions though. A significant number of those with chronic illness are exempt (but not me! ) and the rest will pay by subscription - I pay £108 a year if I take £3700 worth of tablets or not.

Id be fecked if i had to pay prescription charges!
    I take on average 4 different medications per day.

Is it the inverse care law that would apply for your logic?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I saw somebody standing in town with a bucket raising money for the scleroderma charity. Must be quite difficult to raise money for it, when I'd guess the majority of people have never heard of it before.

Quite proud I knew what it was though :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Sure, but these aren't the kind of people who qualify for free prescriptions or subscribe aren't the ones you want to be discouraging superflous attendences.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, but these aren't the kind of people who qualify for free prescriptions or subscribe aren't the ones you want to be discouraging superflous attendences.
    There's a mixed group of people who get free prescriptions.

You get the evil poor who tear the ****ing arse out of the nash and should be shot.

You get the good poor, but we tend to see very little of this group.

But you also get those who are chronically ill (who admittedly make up a reasonable chunk of the first two groups - remembering that poverty=illness for practically any disease or trauma you care to name) who we mustn't discourage from seeking medical care (unless they're *****, in which case they can ****ing swing for all I care).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.