The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5560
Original post by kpwxx
Personally I'd go for a book. Can't go wrong with a book! Books are awesome and so good for learning.

Go to a bookshop with a good stock of picture books and look through them, and find something you really like that they might not have seen before. Of course, them having seen it before is not an automatic fail or even close, but it's always nice to see something new and it shows that you have put some thought and time in to the choice, rather than grabbing the first Julia Donaldson book off the shelf.

Personally, I would expect them to be looking for more general 'potential' over specific ideas (especially since they have been so vague about it). So for example... in an interview for a school I took the book 'Big' about a boy growing up, the first thing was just to read and discuss the book with them, and I 'brainstormed' how I would use it for discussing growth and change (making timelines, sequencing, comparing to others), family, measurement, different kinds of activities (like measuring people in popcorn, making measuring charts), talking about different places in the book etc etc, other books I might read with it like that one which has animal body parts to scale...

Basically, choose a book and read it, start scribbling down ideas for things it might lead to and you'll soon find you have a nice list of activities that you could do or interesting discussions you could have/things the children might want to explore more based on the book.

Of course, all this is from what I've seen. I know every uni is different so it's possible some may want more structure/more detail about one activity. So I'd recommend at least thinking through one or two of the ideas in more detail so you can expand on those if needed. It might be worth chatting to someone on the admissions team to find out more detail on exactly what they are looking for/would prefer. Explain that you have several ideas, but weren't sure if they were looking for a more general overview or a single idea explained in detail (to show you have thought about it).

Good luck and remember, what they'll really want to see is your passion and commitment!

xxx

Thank you so much for this! I think probs end up going for a book and finding ways I can link into the curriculums.

My other idea is a bit abstract but I thought about taking in a plain cardboard box or empty bottles to talk about the enabling environment and allowing them to engage in free play through exploring their imaginations. So they can do whatever they want with the boxes etc.. And I could talk about the cognitive benefits of this.. But I don't know if this is too basic lol.. Just my friend suggested it and it is something we've talked about on our course so I don't know what it would be like in practice

Thank you!!xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5561
Original post by Fabay
Thank you so much for this! I think probs end up going for a book and finding ways I can link into the curriculums.

My other idea is a bit abstract but I thought about taking in a plain cardboard box or empty bottles to talk about the enabling environment and allowing them to engage in free play through exploring their imaginations. So they can do whatever they want with the boxes etc.. And I could talk about the cognitive benefits of this.. But I don't know if this is too basic lol.. Just my friend suggested it and it is something we've talked about on our course so I don't know what it would be like in practice

Thank you!!xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like a lovely idea. There is a lot you can link to boxes! Some nice books as well, and for more structured stuff or for older ones you could do some shared writing about what the box is, they could design their own boxes. The imagination stuff works right up through the age groups too with child-led topics... What is the box, what could be in it... See where they go!

At the end of the day I'd go with something you're passionate about as it will show through :smile:

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MS90
Fingers crossed :smile: the numeracy seems harder than the literacy purely cos of the mental bit...under pressure my mind will go blank hahaha

Remember you can afford to get a few wrong in the mental arithmetic and pick up the marks in the second section. I was convinced I had failed mine but somehow managed to get a pass!!
Reply 5563
Conditional offer for CCCU! So so happy and relieved
Had my interview for PGCE in PE last week, and got a conditional offer!! But as there were no places left, I was recommended for school direct and got a place via that route. Anyone else got an offer for PE PGCE, I will be based at London Metropolitan University :colondollar:
Reply 5565
Original post by Esmeralda4
Remember you can afford to get a few wrong in the mental arithmetic and pick up the marks in the second section. I was convinced I had failed mine but somehow managed to get a pass!!

Yeah yeah..63% is quite an achievable pass mark for the skills tests...like with literacy...cos i got 10 out of 10 on the spelling most times when practising etc. I could then afford a few mistakes in other sections!im good at maths so it should hopefully be fine!
Has anyone chosen Newman University in Birmingham?
Reply 5567
Congratulations Samus2, brilliant news!! How did you hear, by email or through UCAS?? I'm still waiting and sooo nervous!
Reply 5568
Original post by Mgl
Congratulations Samus2, brilliant news!! How did you hear, by email or through UCAS?? I'm still waiting and sooo nervous!

Thanks! I got an email from UCAS this morning to say something had changed :smile:
Reply 5569
Just got two interview invites! One for secondary history at ioe and the other for secondary history at Leeds trinity! Very very nervous! Anyone else got an interview with either of these?
Hi all,
Currently in my first year of a Geography degree, and really want to get into teaching (secondary). I've looked into Teach First but am also planning on applying for a PGCE too.
So far I have some work experience...

Teaching course during sixth form (obviously won't be relevant by the time I'd be applying for the actual PGCE but hopefully could demonstrate that it's something I've wanted to do for a while)

2 months teaching English to children ages 11+ at a summer school in Romania

Assistant - teaching English to refugees and asylum seekers at a support centre, includes working with vulnerable children

1 week of observation at a primary school

Planning on getting a minimum of 2 weeks at a PRU this summer, then another 2 weeks at a high school, plus a long term high school placement throughout my second year of uni.

I was wondering if any of you think I could be doing more? I know no one can say for sure, but do you think, given what experience I have and am planning to get, I stand a realistic chance?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alexandra19
Hi all,
Currently in my first year of a Geography degree, and really want to get into teaching (secondary). I've looked into Teach First but am also planning on applying for a PGCE too.
So far I have some work experience...

Teaching course during sixth form (obviously won't be relevant by the time I'd be applying for the actual PGCE but hopefully could demonstrate that it's something I've wanted to do for a while)

2 months teaching English to children ages 11+ at a summer school in Romania

Assistant - teaching English to refugees and asylum seekers at a support centre, includes working with vulnerable children

1 week of observation at a primary school

Planning on getting a minimum of 2 weeks at a PRU this summer, then another 2 weeks at a high school, plus a long term high school placement throughout my second year of uni.

I was wondering if any of you think I could be doing more? I know no one can say for sure, but do you think, given what experience I have and am planning to get, I stand a realistic chance?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

Don't worry you'll be absolutely fine. You have excellent experience, much more than me and I got a place this year!

Remember the main thing is a minimum of 2 weeks observations in a school and being able to reflect on that time is so important.

The extra experience is great to support your application.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5572
Has anybody had an interview, but not been successful from Cambridge University? Just found out I didn't get accepted.. completely gutted, as the way they were talking at the interview was as if we were all almost guaranteed a place. Still waiting for my feedback, just wondering what I must have done wrong after it seemed to be going so well :frown:
Original post by whatslew
Just got two interview invites! One for secondary history at ioe and the other for secondary history at Leeds trinity! Very very nervous! Anyone else got an interview with either of these?

Hi, Congrats on receiving an interview at both unis. I am also at the moment in the process of applying for PGCE Secondary History, and I applied last week at the Institute of Education aswell. I was wondering how long you had to wait to receive a response (presumably your interview response) from them after sending your application in? :smile:
Reply 5574
Original post by kpwxx
That sounds like a lovely idea. There is a lot you can link to boxes! Some nice books as well, and for more structured stuff or for older ones you could do some shared writing about what the box is, they could design their own boxes. The imagination stuff works right up through the age groups too with child-led topics... What is the box, what could be in it... See where they go!

At the end of the day I'd go with something you're passionate about as it will show through :smile:

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I might go with the box idea but will also think of other ideas too.. I've got a mock interview soon so I will take a few ideas and see what the careers women thinks of them. Thank you for all the advice, it's been really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5575
I just got accepted into a pgce course in Newcastle for sept 2014. I am just wondering do you know if you have to do the year after that too where they place you in the school to get your qts? :smile:
Reply 5576
Original post by grealls
I just got accepted into a pgce course in Newcastle for sept 2014. I am just wondering do you know if you have to do the year after that too where they place you in the school to get your qts? :smile:

AFAIK, all PGCE courses will mean you have to do the year after to gain QTS
Original post by grealls

Congrats.. I have got a place on the course too. And no I don't think so. My friend on the course at the minute and she isn't. Where you from? I cannot wait to start

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5578
Original post by Esmeralda4

Did you have to put any units in on your test...cos on the practice ones you dont seem to ever have too!! :s
Original post by MS90
Did you have to put any units in on your test...cos on the practice ones you dont seem to ever have too!! :s

Not that I remember, no. Was the same format etc as the practice ones. :-)

Latest

Trending

Trending