Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    I found the passages longer on average (only by a little) in the real thing as well and the texts were hard to understand as it was all about war and history
    QR is not as easy as everyone makes it out to be trust me! Yeah you get a few eyeballing questions, however there are like 8 questions that require deep thought. I guessed 4, semi guessed 2 and came out with 890, so the scoring seems to be quite nice!
    During DM refresh memory on key points for AR + QR. DO NOT dwell on VR as it is now over. I dwelled on VR and i had a mini panic attack for the next section as i couldn't even answer the first question in QR straight away! Came back to it and it was a piss easy ratio question lol
    What do you mean by questions with "deep thought"? Did they have multiple steps?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah no problem. When is your test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamin96)
    That made me feel much better then thanks! Also well done on your score you must be proud !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much! Let me know how it goes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    How you mean internal exams? Exams were sat exactly like normal in my school.
    The new reforms are supposed to be harder considering that you have to do them again next year so a-level grades are suspected of dropping. That all i know.
    Can you not try get 3A* predictions anyway?
    Internal exams are exams that aren't credited by an exam board I think, so your school makes you a paper up or you get a paper but it doesn't get sent off to AQA etc! Yeah new reforms are harder and my exams were hard but if your teacher could make you up your own exam paper do you really think they would make it that hard (I doubt they would personally) and plus it's hard to compare as you don't sit it nationally like everyone else. No I won't be able to push for 3 a stars unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't really get the situational judgement section. All the books I have say "Don't assume that the action is the only action being taken".

Scenario: A student avoids doing cannulations. She can't remember what to do exactly and is not competent to perform them. She needs to perform one for her end of year exam.

Action: Brush up on the cannulation theory and technique by reading her notes.
    My answer: A very appropriate thing to do
    Actual answer: Appropriate but not ideal

Reason given: It's a good thing to do because she can't remember how to do the procedure, but it won't improve her practical competence.

Now, if you are not assuming that it's the only thing that is being done, I can't see how this is anything other "very appropriate"., because you can't assume that she is not performing other actions to improve her practical competence.

If you are assuming that it's the only thing done, then it would have to be "very inappropriate" as you are possibly going to hurt the patient in the end of year exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Internal exams are exams that aren't credited by an exam board I think, so your school makes you a paper up or you get a paper but it doesn't get sent off to AQA etc! Yeah new reforms are harder and my exams were hard but if your teacher could make you up your own exam paper do you really think they would make it that hard (I doubt they would personally) and plus it's hard to compare as you don't sit it nationally like everyone else. No I won't be able to push for 3 a stars unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm my school didn't do that but there would be no reason for them to make the exams easier as it would give a wrong representation for the students and as they're not credited by the grades then there would be no incentive for the school to do so.
    If you are in the higher tiers then u don't have a ukcat threshold

ReputationRep:
    Hmm my school didn't do that but there would be no reason for them to make the exams easier as it would give a wrong representation for the students and as they're not credited by the grades then there would be no incentive for the school to do so.
    If you are in the higher tiers then u don't have a ukcat threshold
    Think logically though, schools want their students to get into uni. They might be similar difficulty but aren't marked the same or standardised like everyone else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Think logically though, schools want their students to get into uni. They might be similar difficulty but aren't marked the same or standardised like everyone else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Predicted grades don't get students into university, achieved grades do. And besides, if that was the case schools can still predict people with low grades to get high grades at the end. That's more logical than giving a false representation of the exam and deceiving them into thinking it's easier than it's going to be and then having them get lower achieved grades.
    A part of difficulty is the grade boundaries. If they can score 20/100 and still get a good grade then the test is easy never mind if the 100 questions were hard.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who has done the ukcat, Were there QR questions with a lot of text in them? If so what proportion of QR would you say had them?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who has done the ukcat, Were there QR questions with a lot of text in them? If so what proportion of QR would you say had them?
    It varies for each candidate as it's a random selection of questions from a pool, but I got very unlucky with verbal and had no t/f/ct questions and only long passages

All you can really do is prepare as much as you can and be ready to tackle the longer questions as they may well come up, though some have more t/f/ct so don't let that disheartened you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry misread your message haha!

QR was quite a mix for me, had about half of them pretty short and other half a few lines of text but nothing overly crazy.

Hope that helps! Qr went a lot better than I expected so don't worry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am really struggling with the verbal reasoning comprehension questions, it takes me too long to look through the text with regards to the answer choices and cancel out the options, like over 30 seconds per choice, and very often I still get the answer wrong. I am fine with the True, False and Can't tell questions, but I have been informed that most questions now are Reading Comprehension. does anyone have any tips for comprehension questions?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is a good point actually. I wonder how it will affect the admissions process if Universities are receiving a lot more applicants with AAA+ predictions, makes it harder for them to trust the teachers predictions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Haha I have emailed them already (and not phoned) don't think I'll be applying to Exeter as I'm predicted A*A*A I believe happy but can't apply to Exeter with that tbh. I'm planning on ringing all the uni's I want and just bombarding them with questions lmao they will hate me 😂 just don't want to waste an application as my ukcat is good but it's not safe if you get me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does Exeter have a particular admissions policy about high predicted grades? I would have thought A*A*A would be more than enough...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    This is a good point actually. I wonder how it will affect the admissions process if Universities are receiving a lot more applicants with AAA+ predictions, makes it harder for them to trust the teachers predictions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is no logic in the idea that predictions will increase this year. I responded to that quote further up.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted grades don't get students into university, achieved grades do. And besides, if that was the case schools can still predict people with low grades to get high grades at the end. That's more logical than giving a false representation of the exam and deceiving them into thinking it's easier than it's going to be and then having them get lower achieved grades.
    A part of difficulty is the grade boundaries. If they can score 20/100 and still get a good grade then the test is easy never mind if the 100 questions were hard.
    Well for Exeter they get you into uni. Yeah but doing an internal exam you don't normally use the national grade boundaries, there's no cap on the amount of A's you can get that way so I don't think you understand where I'm coming from in terms of predictions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    Haven't done much practice this week but will try over the next few days. My test is on Tuesday. I'm grateful for this thread.*
    I have mines tuesday too😁 so scared, but can't wait to get it over😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HMarles)
    Does Exeter have a particular admissions policy about high predicted grades? I would have thought A*A*A would be more than enough...
    Exeter put you into tiers so three a stars is tier 1, 2 a stars 1 A is tier 2. They invite people for interview and whatever tier they reach the end of: let's say 500 to interview, they invite all of the 400 in tier 1. There could be 200 applicants in tier 2 so they then use their cut off to select 100 for interview from tier 2. That's what I was told by the uni anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think for most uni's it would be fine but places like Exeter it would make harder to be selected I think so anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well for Exeter they get you into uni. Yeah but doing an internal exam you don't normally use the national grade boundaries, there's no cap on the amount of A's you can get that way so I don't think you understand where I'm coming from in terms of predictions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I understand that there are no national grade boundaries but that was my point. If they were low, although they would get higher grades then they would be given a false representation of the real exam and lower expectations of the real exam and thus lower achieved grades.
    For Exeter they don't get you into university, they get you an interview and a conditional offer which is often dependent on your predictions. Many universities give you a conditional with higher grades than minimum based on your predictions.
    Even so, if the schools aim was to predict them higher grades their would be no point in potentially lowering their achieved grades by false representations instead of predicting them high grades no matter what grades they actually received. If someone got a C, there would be nothing preventing the school from predicting the student an A or A*. That would be the more intelligent alternative instead of giving them an easy test so then in tern their actual achieved grades will be lowered.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.