Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    I think it will be about that, it was the same difficulty as the jan 10 paper, and that was 74/100 for an A. however, it might go down , but not by much
    I hope it does go down. I found the Jan exam easier and got 95% when I did it as a mock but I have not done well in this one. I really wish my school had let me do the Jan exam for my resit.

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter that Venus is more dense.... Still has 3.5% Nitrogen, and earth has 78%....we're working in percentages here not mass....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kironkabir)
    I put Compound D too, but it got me thinking.

If E was there, would it matter if there was flammable liquid there. Since the fridge is cold, does it matter? Even though it heats up, it shouldn't burst into flames. It's the same principle with heating mantles. The reason why we use heating mantles to heat stuff up is because a naked flame would cause massive fires due to flammable liquids.

It does sound kind of silly, and I stuck with D, but what do you think?
    Ah, I see what you mean... but would they expect us to be thinking of all that in the exam? I know I certainly wasn't- it was more like: Flammable=Bad, Not Flammable=Good lol Buut, if the fridge is not plugged in, then it'll still be flammable, and go up in flames- so from the point of view of storage/transportation/selling etc, where fridges won't be turned on, so won't be cold, they'll still be a hazard if there was a fire...? Or am I thinking far too indepth now, and we should just hope D was correct!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninetytwo)
    I'm actually thanking god for that!
    What answer did you get for that question regarding E/Z isomers?

Why the C=C bond at the left hand side can't make E/Z isomers...

ReputationRep:
    Must go now to frantically cram for biology tomorrow! I decided to prioritise Chemistry, since it's harder to make up on the spot lol, but now I'm seeing how much reading there is to be done for biology, and wondering if my eyes will have melted by this evening!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loolie12)
    Ah, I see what you mean... but would they expect us to be thinking of all that in the exam? I know I certainly wasn't- it was more like: Flammable=Bad, Not Flammable=Good lol Buut, if the fridge is not plugged in, then it'll still be flammable, and go up in flames- so from the point of view of storage/transportation/selling etc, where fridges won't be turned on, so won't be cold, they'll still be a hazard if there was a fire...? Or am I thinking far too indepth now, and we should just hope D was correct!

You genius.

That is very true.

Gosh, these examiners love to make us think too much. what do they think we are? Computers?

ReputationRep:

I don't know if this is right but I said it was because there were two methyl groups from one carbon so it wouldn't matter how you changed the groups it would remain the same.

Does that sound right anyone? My confidence has plummeted. It looks like I've messed up most of the calculations and all the reflux ones. I got the 2.7 one though! I'm praying I haven't messed up enough to get a decent B, otherwise I can kiss medical school goodbye. Do you think if I got all the long answer ones right I will be okay?

ReputationRep:
    HI guys i think the exam was ok really cocked it up on the whole reflux part and the questions that involved drawing the skeletal molecules and changing them im really worried now lol XL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loolie12)
    D was the answer!!!!
    Don't make me think otherwise.
    I am this close to realising that I may have actually done very bad! :sad:

ReputationRep:

I think I may have got the diagram wrong, but I made up something about the OH single bond being able to rotate, meaning if that bond rotated, then the other isomer would be the same, therefore there was only one possible arrangement for an E isomer afterall..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckyDay)
    I don't know if this is right but I said it was because there were two methyl groups from one carbon so it wouldn't matter how you changed the groups it would remain the same.
    Nice one. That's what I said too.

Chill. Medical school is still in your grasp.
    Just don't you dare mess up the A2 units.

ReputationRep:

Does that sound right anyone? My confidence has plummeted. It looks like I've messed up most of the calculations. I got the 2.7 one though! I'm praying I haven't messed up enough to get a decent B, otherwise I can kiss medical school goodbye.

I can kiss medical school goodbye *sob* haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oORAZOo)
    I can kiss medical school goodbye *sob* haha
    Lol they care more about predicted grades anyway. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    anyone know what the grade boundaries likely to be for an E / D

ReputationRep:
    This was my resit (I'm in year 13), but I got a B in my January exam so let's hope it happens for the next one.

Well at least my misery can make someone smile.

What did people put for the very last question? I wasn't sure how much detail they wanted and ended up asking for paper. haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Lol they care more about predicted grades anyway. :yep:
    haha yes have to see what i get in the summer XL

could of been much worse overall But i dont think i got any marks on the reflux one then no marks on drawing the molecules and changing them.

there was loads of annoying 1 or 2 mark questions as well

I might still get and A due to the last unit and coursework
    maybe ........

ReputationRep:
    This was my resit (I'm in year 13), but I got a B in my January exam so let's hope it happens for the next one.

Well at least my misery can make someone smile.

What did people put for the very last question? I wasn't sure how much detail they wanted and ended up asking for paper. haha
    **** sounded like i mocked u lol sorry Xl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobG93)
    Does it really matter that Venus is more dense.... Still has 3.5% Nitrogen, and earth has 78%....we're working in percentages here not mass....
    Yes; it said on the surface, so, for a given volume at the surface, there'll be 91 times more gas, so you needed to multiply that by the factor between their relative percentages.

ReputationRep:
    for the PPM i had

(0.0014/100) x 1000000 (1 million) =
    14ppm

14/1000 to get the ratio = 0.014ppm

I got completley lost on the Nitrogen thing. As it said about how much more nitrogen is at the surface of venus compared to earth. I lost it completely and just did 3.5/78.

What did you guys get for the alcohol to bromobutane stuff. I got 2.7g for the 100% yield and 6g for the 45% yield?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oORAZOo)
    **** sounded like i mocked u lol sorry Xl
    That's okay.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.