The European/World Football Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Barça
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by cunningstunt87)
Champions League is boring until the knockout stages.
I'd love for it to be a CL edition without seedings one season just to see the groups. That would certainly make it more exciting to start with but may be crap towards the latter end.
cunningstunt87
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Barça)
I'd love for it to be a CL edition without seedings one season just to see the groups. That would certainly make it more exciting to start with but may be crap towards the latter end.
I'd prefer it if they cut back the amount of teams from the big countries, limit it to the top 2 from the top leagues (England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Portugal and Holland) and then the league champions in the rest of Uefa's leagues (I think that adds up to 64). One qualifying round into the group stage (without seedings) and you have something vaguely resembling a league of Champions.

Although an unseeded group would make it interesting :yep:
IWantSomeMushu
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Some CL group stage matches have the potential to be interesting, i.e. Milan vs. Madrid.
cunningstunt87
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sandeep90)
Some CL group stage matches have the potential to be interesting, i.e. Milan vs. Madrid.
That would make a quality game in the knockout stages, but in the group stages both will settle for draws and beating Ajax and Auxerre.
Cities
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Real Madrid Ajax is probably the match to watch on Wednesday, but I can genuinely envisage a draw / 2-1 tight match.
Louis.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
64 teams. Just knockout matches, 2 legs each. Seed the first 2/3 rounds maybe.

:sogood:
cunningstunt87
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Werder Bremen v Tottenham on tuesday night and Bayern v Roma wednesday night are probably gonna be the best fixtures on offer.
cunningstunt87
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Louis1991)
64 teams. Just knockout matches, 2 legs each. Seed the first 2/3 rounds maybe.

:sogood:
Agreed, this would also work (providing every League Champion in Europe, plus the holders, were among the 64)
Cities
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought the champions of a league in Europe are automatically qualified for the CL. What do you think is wrong with the pre-group qualifying rounds?
S-man10
Badges: 18
Report 8 years ago
Cant wait for the CL. Although Spain vs Argentina might provide some cover until then.
Cities
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Russia 0 - 1 Slovakia

:shifty:
cunningstunt87
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by n1r4v)
I thought the champions of a league in Europe are automatically qualified for the CL. What do you think is wrong with the pre-group qualifying rounds?
I despise the fact that half of the Champions League comprises of teams from the top 5 domestic leagues (England, France, Spain, Germany and France). Why should a team who finished 4th in the Premier League or La Liga* get an easy route into the group stages while those who won their respective leagues have to climb a mountain.

Reduce the number of entrants and create a level playing field. The Champions League is starting to get the same tedious predictability of the Premier League and needs some redesigning.

*Sevilla proving an exception this year.
Cities
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Generally, it's set so that weaker teams get a more difficult route into the group stages. As you pass through the qualifying rounds the teams get tougher.

The 3rd / 4th best team of the highest ranked European teams are better than, say the champions of Wales or Malta, so the latter have to go through more various qualifying rounds. Do you disagree with the idea that the best teams in Europe should play in the group stages, and that it should strictly be for the champions of European leagues?
cunningstunt87
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by n1r4v)
Generally, it's set so that weaker teams get a more difficult route into the group stages. As you pass through the qualifying rounds the teams get tougher.

The 3rd / 4th best team of the highest ranked European teams are better than, say the champions of Wales or Malta, so the latter have to go through more various qualifying rounds. Do you disagree with the idea that the best teams in Europe should play in the group stages, and that it should strictly be for the champions of European leagues?
I do indeed. I've no doubt the Champions of Wales or Malta would struggle in the blue square premier, but this isn't about the standard of the teams involved. It's called the Champions League for a reason, if you're not gonna create a level playing field for league champions then you might as well rebrand it, hand pick the best 32 domestic teams in Europe and let them fight it out.

And, while we're on this discussion, bring back the Cup Winners Cup. That was a decent competition!!
Barça
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I actually agree with UEFA on this, the CL is more competitive with for example teams like Sevilla, Tottenham etc, rather than Levski Sofia and Metalist. The Champions League as a name is only that, a name. The European Cup had ironically the right meaning.
cunningstunt87
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Barça)
I actually agree with UEFA on this, the CL is more competitive with for example teams like Sevilla, Tottenham etc, rather than Levski Sofia and Metalist. The Champions League as a name is only that, a name. The European Cup had ironically the right meaning.
It maybe that Sevilla and Tottenham make the tournament more competitive. But it's starting to reach the point where the Champions League feels like a business tool that generates cash, while the European Cup felt like a proper sporting competition. A bit like the difference between the Premier League and the old division one, although that isn't a conversation to have here.

I've just been pondering to myself whether football would be more exciting if you created a European Super League. The revenue that would generate for the top clubs would surely equal what they make in their respective leagues and Champions League. Domestic Leagues would become more competitive, the Champions League could revert back to its European Cup style format, real football fans get their sport back and armchair fans get their ultimate fantasy.
jakemittle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Watching Portugal Norway...Norway winning!
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
But if the Super League happens then what about supporters of the clubs railroaded into it?
hollywoodbudgie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Turkey V Belguim. Turkey is losing. :puppyeyes:
hollywoodbudgie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
GOAL!!!!! 1-1 Turkey Belguim
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (6)
15.79%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (17)
44.74%
Nope, not that interesting (15)
39.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise