Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there any truly 'bad' universities in the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I know less about this than I thought, just going on what I was told though

ReputationRep:
    There's one I've heard of......it's underground....run by a load of evil man-eating gremlins and I've heard nothing but bad things about it, seriously.

I've heard that they poke you with sticks during lectures (if you get a question wrong, start falling asleep or if they just hate you) and if your coursework is late...

....they eat you.

Doesn't sound like my cup o' tea.

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of academics work from home when they are not forcibly made to remain in university. Try getting hold of an academic when the students are on vacation and the academic is supposed to be at work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple_starlight)
    There's one I've heard of......it's underground....run by a load of evil man-eating gremlins and I've heard nothing but bad things about it, seriously.

I've heard that they poke you with sticks during lectures (if you get a question wrong, start falling asleep or if they just hate you) and if your coursework is late...

....they eat you.

Doesn't sound like my cup o' tea.
    But ALL universities are like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddlejumper)
    The vast majority of academics work from home when they are not forcibly made to remain in university.
    I'd say that really depends on subject and the number of research students that the particular academic has.

Also, just because an academic isn't replying to email or answering their phone doesn't mean they aren't in the office, they are just ignoring you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziedj)
    Durham
    Durham is one of the top 100 Universities in the world! I'd love to be able to get in there!

ReputationRep:
    Lincoln. It's truely crap.

The campus is intersected by a railway and the occasional tramp brave enough to venture on campus. There is so much security you start to feel as if you're a guest of her majesty. The whole city is basically students and tramps drinking special brew. What few other locals there are, are aggressive and rude. It has no development or aspirations. It is extremely boring, aside from the Cathedral (Which in fairness is beautiful) it has no attractions or activities. Nightlife is a hazard at the best of times, you have a choice of two clubs, both equally as grotty, there is a couple of bars, nothing worth mentioning and as stated before, numerous incidents of violence and aggravation from locals.

It is a nice looking place during the day, apart from the sheer number of homeless people, but after being there for fresher's week I soon realised what a horrible choice I'd made.

- Currently studying Media Production at Lincoln, hoping to be released soon.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.