The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Christabel-
What did you like about Henry price?

Its literally right on campus next to everything, especially the humanities building where i will be most of the time, near the union all the clubs, i walked into town and it took me like 10 minutes, there's a bus stop right next to it!

The rooms are really big and homely and its so cosy the bathroom is really nice, you have a massive sink and mirror in your room a huge desk wifi (that's something that put me off james baillie as it didn't have it) you share a flat with 9 people so it'll be really sociable the kitchen was big and had loads of room! and you only had to share the bathroom with one other person, instead of like 2-3! plus you will probably get really close to the person your sharing with :smile:

PLUS.. the distance from the clubs back to your accomm means you can either walk or if your drunk get a taxi and it'll only be a few quid and if your sharing probably only like £2 each!

Haha you can tell im really excited about it haha!
(edited 13 years ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by dmz

Ha sweet, didnt get to see HP, not enough time :frown:

go to the student union?

yes it was great im so excited now its made me wanting to go SO bad!! :biggrin: where did you like the best? :smile:
clarence was such a let down so was baillie!!
(edited 13 years ago)
I went to see a few of them today!! James Baillie, that one behind it, Leodis, CD, towers and the tannery. Was set on James Baillie before I went, no I'm pretty torn between James Baillie, Leodis and The Tannery. I', thinking in terms of distance from uni and social life. Any thoughts???
Reply 543
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
At least you met people! The more, the merrier. Did your friends and brother go with you?
From the three you've narrowed down to, I'd go with CD personally. Then James Baile maybe, then Leodis. Location I don't really mind since I like the idea of walking. (I say this now. :colonhash:)

Ahaha, fair enough. The Cambridge-esqueness, was a definite plus point for me so maybe that's swaying my opinion of it. :tongue: Old Italian movies didn't come to mind though. :rofl: But purely on the outside? :colonhash: It was old and somewhat ancient-like?

Yea think i'm with CD probably leodis before bale :yep: the bar was nice, i think few lucky people get the large rooms, tho i kinda like small rooms in a way :tongue:. Haha same, besides i wouldn't wanna be on campus door step

Haha, it felt sorta cool in that sense, but not for me :tongue: it is nice tho if you like it ancient. Inside felt ordinary
Reply 544
Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame
yes it was great im so excited now its made me wanting to go SO bad!! :biggrin: where did you like the best? :smile:

what did you dislike about clarence? I liked the rooms at bailie
Original post by Laura x<3x
I went to see a few of them today!! James Baillie, that one behind it, Leodis, CD, towers and the tannery. Was set on James Baillie before I went, no I'm pretty torn between James Baillie, Leodis and The Tannery. I', thinking in terms of distance from uni and social life. Any thoughts???

i think most people said that people who do dentistry and medicine go to the tannery cause its really close to that building, i guess that people doing that course will be out of the flat all the time as its a demanding course obviously it doesn't matter if your doing that course too, but if not i think i'd choose somewhere else.. just my opinion though :smile:
Original post by dmz
what did you dislike about clarence? I liked the rooms at bailie

Clarence was like in the middle of nowhere, i felt like you were away from every thing.. and if i got that block with them tiny rooms the first one i went to i think i would die haha! plus she said its always really under subscribed and its usually a flat of four and not six :/
I really didn't like it, i liked james baillie just it didnt have wifi and i didnt really like the common room or anything, it didnt feel right!
Original post by dmz
Yea think i'm with CD probably leodis before bale :yep: the bar was nice, i think few lucky people get the large rooms, tho i kinda like small rooms in a way :tongue:. Haha same, besides i wouldn't wanna be on campus door step

Haha, it felt sorta cool in that sense, but not for me :tongue: it is nice tho if you like it ancient. Inside felt ordinary

Ring Leeds next week and make them give you an offer NOW. :ninja: I quite like slightly bigger rooms, although I'd trade a small room with an ensuite any day! I think the largest rooms I've seen were at Oxford! Ohmylord. :moon: Okay, stop *****. Stop with the Oxbridge infatuation. :colonhash: But yes! And the couch in the room I stayed in, the cover had a collage of ancient books all over it. :rofl2:

Inside it's just the same as any other halls of residence really. It's just the balls and candlelight dinners for which you have to suit up and wear dress robes that are a little different. :laugh:
Reply 548

Baillie was **** wasn't it, the pictures on the website were a bit misleading :mad:
Reply 549
Its literally right on campus next to everything, especially the humanities building where i will be most of the time, near the union all the clubs, i walked into town and it took me like 10 minutes, there's a bus stop right next to it!

The rooms are really big and homely and its so cosy the bathroom is really nice, you have a massive sink and mirror in your room a huge desk wifi (that's something that put me off james baillie as it didn't have it) you share a flat with 9 people so it'll be really sociable the kitchen was big and had loads of room! and you only had to share the bathroom with one other person, instead of like 2-3! plus you will probably get really close to the person your sharing with :smile:

PLUS.. the distance from the clubs back to your accomm means you can either walk or if your drunk get a taxi and it'll only be a few quid and if your sharing probably only like £2 each!

The problem with Henry Price is that according to Accommodation Office it is really over subscribed which has put me off putting that as my choice.:confused:
Reply 550
OH and i really liked Devonshire and North Hill Court and The Tannery, i just need to decide :/ HELP hahah
Original post by laura2701
I decided I didn't want to be on campus really because I would wanna get away from uni some days I guess and I want to be self catered so ruled c.m out :smile:
James baillie I didn't think it was as good as pics and the room I saw was tiny and it's not as close to uni as leodis so would have to get up earlier
Leodis rooms aren't much bigger than j.b but I liked that it's a larger site and better common room

Oh okay, cheers for that little review :smile:, im split between leodis and clarence docks :s-smilie: they are both pretty good accommodations, but leodis is apparently smaller with less storage space and clarence docks is a lil too far out. Oh the dilemma :erm:
Leodis or tannery ?
Reply 553
Clarence was like in the middle of nowhere, i felt like you were away from every thing.. and if i got that block with them tiny rooms the first one i went to i think i would die haha! plus she said its always really under subscribed and its usually a flat of four and not six :/
I really didn't like it, i liked james baillie just it didnt have wifi and i didnt really like the common room or anything, it didnt feel right!

clarence did feel that way, but inside was great, it wasn't under or over subscribed :tongue:. It's 20 mins walk to the city centre which i quite like cos i wouldn't want to live on campus. I don't like big emp.y spaces tbh. I didn't check on wi fi or anything. Did CD have it? Common room was the best i saw too, i was told James' sucks, lol
Reply 554
Original post by -Christabel-
Oh okay, cheers for that little review :smile:, im split between leodis and clarence docks :s-smilie: they are both pretty good accommodations, but leodis is apparently smaller with less storage space and clarence docks is a lil too far out. Oh the dilemma :erm:

Yeah there wasn't much storage space in Leodis just a wardrobe and under the bed I think, I didn't see clarence dock because of distance so can't comment on that one, you have ages to decided anyway so take ya time!x
Original post by Whistle
The problem with Henry Price is that according to Accommodation Office it is really over subscribed which has put me off putting that as my choice.:confused:

Yeah, but so is James Baillie, Dev hall and North hill court i think I'm just going to go for it cause i really want to and we have as much chance as everyone else :smile:
Reply 556
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Ring Leeds next week and make them give you an offer NOW. :ninja: I quite like slightly bigger rooms, although I'd trade a small room with an ensuite any day! I think the largest rooms I've seen were at Oxford! Ohmylord. :moon: Okay, stop *****. Stop with the Oxbridge infatuation. :colonhash: But yes! And the couch in the room I stayed in, the cover had a collage of ancient books all over it. :rofl2:

Inside it's just the same as any other halls of residence really. It's just the balls and candlelight dinners for which you have to suit up and wear dress robes that are a little different. :laugh:

hopefully I'll hear by Wednesday :h:
i didn't know you applied to oxford. Not to offend anyone but it seemed the place for people who like things completely formal and pretty much don't get laid. Lol. I could be wrong :tongue:. Balls are nice tho :h:

haha yh you do sound really hyped up, and nooo i just ruled henry price out, and now you've put t back in the running :confused: im soo confused right now

and you've actually raised some really good points, the reason I was put off HP was cos of the fact the bathrooms were shared, but it is only 1 other person, do the bathroom have access from both bedrooms? cos i don't fancy the idea of my room mate walkin in on me showering lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by dmz
hopefully I'll hear by Wednesday :h:
i didn't know you applied to oxford. Not to offend anyone but it seemed the place for people who like things completely formal and pretty much don't get laid. Lol. I could be wrong :tongue:. Balls are nice tho :h:

:crossedf:

I wish. No, really, I do. I'm going to sound like im so academic if this carries on. :rofl2: I don't think it's like that although I can see why that impression's given off. Apparently it attracts 'rahs' - well, you do find rahs there but you'll find them in plenty of places. I'm sure you get normal people too. :tongue: A few of the students I met were at DH and they liked it - two of them were rugby fanatics, both of which mentioned partying and walking into lectures with a hangover aplenty. :tongue:

I know you don't really like DH but I tried? Right? Maybe? :puppyeyes:
Reply 559
Tannery was my favourite but too pricey for me... Henry Price I think it was is a close second but the toilet-sharing thing put me off - wouldn't like having a sink in my room too...

Clarence Dock is my all-round favourite. The rooms and kitchen were good enough, en-suite's cool especially for 95/96 quid! I don't mind the distance from the uni, I'll probably get a bus pass but also walk a fair bit of the time too tbh.
It felt like it's own community, very chilled out - unlike Leodis which felt unsettlingly remote, like Sandford from Hot Fuzz haha.

Me likeyyyy

Latest