Edinburgh Students Society Watch

Clarence
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've had two Exams. English Lit and Psychology. They both went really well. WOOOOT.
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by michaelnicholson88)
Gaelic is Celtic, and you find that those who can speak one of them can understand one or more of the others. (I can understand Irish pretty well). You may be thinking about the place names up here- the Viking occupations in the 8th to 11th centuries had a huge impact on those, especially in the Western Isles (where I live). Many of the place names here are derivatives of Old Norse, or Norse combined with Gaelic.
Well certainly in terms of reading comprehension literate speakers of either Scottish or Irish Gaelic will understand quite a lot of what is written in the other language but spoken is a different matter, certainly i cant understand spoken Irish with the exception of the very odd word i recognise - i find the accent too different. RE: Scandinavian question, as Micheal points out there are a lot of Norse placenames in the Western Isles ( indeed across many parts of Coastal Scotland ) but its also said that the Hebridean ( particularly Lewis ) dialect of Gaidhlig is the most "Scandinavian" sounding of all and ive found this borne out at times when ive been listening to groups of Danes etc speaking in their own language which to me sounds fairly familiar, although of course utterly incomprehensible.
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by monki)
Whats the difference between Scottish and Gaelic? Im really sorry about my ignorance.
Gaelic is Scottish ; it is the language spoken by the original Scottish people, the language of the people who founded Scotland and for whom Scotland was named and historically Gaelic was indeed referred to as Scottish or 'Scottis' but due to the peculiarities and developments within Scotland over the last 600 years or so this name has been usurped by the form of English (which came to refer to itself as 'Scots', 'Lallans', 'Doric' etc ) spoken within Scotland which spread from its Lothians heartland across the rest of the Lowlands over the centuries.
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Scots (not Scottish) is a Scottish dialect of English and is similar to the Geordie dialect. Gaelic is a different language altogether, and is more akin to Irish. Neither is widely spoken in Scotland today
Well certainly we know that Gaelic isnt widely spoken but its far harder to make a concrete statement regarding the maintainance and usage of Lowland Scots simply because its impossible to point to where exactly English, Scottish English and Lowland Scots start and end respectively. A common figure bandied about or speakers of Scots is 1.5 million although this is not official or from any reliable census.
michaelnicholson88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nice to know there's at least one more Gaidhlig speaker on here- the odds really were against it. With a name like An Siarach, I'm guessing you're Hebridean- Outer or Inner or am I way off the mark?
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nice to know there's at least one more Gaidhlig speaker on here- the odds really were against it. With a name like An Siarach, I'm guessing you're Hebridean- Outer or Inner or am I way off the mark?
Leodhasach - agus bu choir dha bhi furasta gu leor aithneachadh de'n taobh den eilean air a bheil mo dhachaidh . Tha barrachd air da bhliadhna bho'n rainig mi am forum seo agus is tu'sa a chiad Gaidheal Albannach eile a tha mi air fhaicinn air ged a bha fear no dha Eirinneach air airson greis.
michaelnicholson88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Tha milleanan de dhaoine air an eadar-lion ach fhathast tha Leodhasach agus Uibhisteach a coinneachadh ri cheile. Abair saoghal!

Agus tha mi duilich dhan a h-uile duine eile a tha seo, a chionn's gu bheil sinn a bruidhinn ann an canan nach urrain dhuibh a thuigsinn. Tha sin uabhasach fhein mi-mhodhail.
MissSmith
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
:hmmmm2:
The_Despoiler
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Good afternoon, guys and girls. I´m online in an Irish bar in Lanzarote in a feeble attempt to pass the time until we fly home from Arrecife late tonight. How is everyone´s summer going? I´ll be returning home with a drinking habit and an Irish accent, methinks. Met a guy and girl in a pub who are 3rd years studying Law at Edin, pretty cool. Anyhow, my change is going to run out and I must dash. Regards,
beanie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
well its alright for some people isn't it! living the high life whilst the rest of us do exams.... hope you had a good time anyway! 2 weeks and 6 days till i'm in france
yossarianlives
Report 12 years ago
4 weeks until I go to Spain, woeii!

God I am so bored these days... All I do is either sleep, or work at the hotel.

Its awful.
Lukas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by beanie)
well its alright for some people isn't it! living the high life whilst the rest of us do exams.... hope you had a good time anyway! 2 weeks and 6 days till i'm in france
2 weeks and 1 day till i'm in tuscany (italy)...I cannot wait to finish these exams... 3 more 2 go - synoptic geoggers tomorrow, hopefully the paper will be just like in the past - nice&easy questions, so we can totally gimp it
michaelnicholson88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've never been abroad and I'm not going anywhere this year either. My summer holidays have always been either Glasgow, Aberdeen, Inverness or (at worst) Barra.

I hate you lot.:rolleyes:
yossarianlives
Report 12 years ago
I've never been abroad and I'm not going anywhere this year either. My summer holidays have always been either Glasgow, Aberdeen, Inverness or (at worst) Barra.

Aberdeen?...
michaela_banana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, but you can speak gaelic. You win by a mile

It's ages until I go away. My brother and I are off as of the week after next, but we have to wait until the end of term because my mam works in school. Sort of defeats the point of us both breaking up early. Still, we are away for 3 weeks in florida, so there's certainly no complaining going on here.
beanie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

aww, thats cool though as you're supporting local tourism rather than going to far flung places and contributing to climate change! a flight to new york has the same carbon emissions as an average family of 4 would use for 14 years doing their washing in a washing machine.:eek:

i don't go away with family, mates for holidays all the way!
michaelnicholson88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by beanie)
aww, thats cool though as you're supporting local tourism rather than going to far flung places and contributing to climate change! a flight to new york has the same carbon emissions as an average family of 4 would use for 14 years doing their washing in a washing machine.:eek:

i don't go away with family, mates for holidays all the way!
Jesus, the things people know!
Mountain One
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yay im going to Scotland twice this summer - once for a wedding in Edinburgh and for a long weekend. Cant wait to see it again. Im also going wild camping and walking on Rannoch Moor with my friend and parents. Anyone been there or know what are good walks round there? Apparently its a glaciated landscape and a good example of knock and lochan topography. Im also going to Ireland for a National Trust working holiday which will be amazing because ive never been to Ireland but its supposed to be beautiful.
michaelnicholson88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Reading through my Edinburgh stuff, I've discovered that we're meant to be sent a 'joining pack' after we send our certificates but I'm almost certain I haven't received one. Am I alone or has nobody else got theirs yet either? If you do have it, what does it contain?
The_Despoiler
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Reading through my Edinburgh stuff, I've discovered that we're meant to be sent a 'joining pack' after we send our certificates but I'm almost certain I haven't received one. Am I alone or has nobody else got theirs yet either? If you do have it, what does it contain?
Hmmm, not heard of such. Sent off the certificates weeks ago and have received nothing; I don't believe Edinburgh are very keen on corresponding with us.

I'm sitting in Starbucks at Glasgow airport and have not slept for two days waiting for our bus, which doesn't leave until half past eight. Damn. How are the English exams going? I'm sure you're all chuffed about the football today.

Holidaying with friends is such an experience, I've done so much over the past week. (and met a rather fetching Irish lassie) woo.

It is going to suck returning to work in Next until uni - I'd much rather go now, thus avoiding the tedium of a long drawn-out summer. Are the Scottish students bored yet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (33)
27.73%
No (86)
72.27%

Watched Threads