Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

It Polls for Thee: Secretary General Election Time! watch

• View Poll Results: Vote for your preferred SG. YOU HAVE SEVEN DAYS.
    Nightowl
    60.00%
    Wootcannon
    6.67%
    Brimstone
    30.00%
    Ahmed
    0%
    ABSTAIN
    3.33%

I voted for Nightowl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiman)
    Not really. I hardly know the person I voted for in the French Rep election. I observed his/her style and skill at debating and voted for her/him. He/She is a mere aquaintance, not a friend.
    but at the same time if s/he had destroyed their opponent in debating, something that is very possible with many arguments here, you would have looked less favourably on them, especially if it was your argument that they had countered. debating well will get you less than 10% of the way to winning an election, the rest must be achived by other methods, such as corruption, forming cliques and being the nice guy.

ReputationRep:
    Erm.. JonathanH? He hardly gets on with everyone that voted for him to become the US representative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightowl)
    Erm.. JonathanH? He hardly gets on with everyone that voted for him to become the US representative.
    the role for US rep was perfectly suited to his style, it is hard to be the perfect French rep or Chinese rep. and its not like as if this rule is applicable to all circumstances, just most of them.

ReputationRep:
    Look 6+6=6, we all (I hope) have real lives to lead. This is a place where we come to discuss issues and have fun. The elections we have are trivial and should not influence our real lives. We must not engross ourselves so much so that we must resort to corruption to win elections, which I reiterate are trivial. We are friendly, not to win elections, but instead to make friends and aquaintances with other people. Stop making a fuss of this and don't take these elections too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiman)
    Look 6+6=6, we all (I hope) have real lives to lead. This is a place where we come to discuss issues and have fun. The elections we have are trivial and should not influence our real lives. We must not engross ourselves so much so that we must resort to corruption to win elections, which I reiterate are trivial. We are friendly, not to win elections, but instead to make friends and aquaintances with other people. Stop making a fuss of this and don't take these elections too seriously.
    the seriosuness has been brought out by those who seem to think that bribery is a major issue and must be dealt with swiftly and severly. if i cared so much of these elections, i would not have gone ahead and taken a very unpopular stance in the middle of running for french rep. i know that this has made me unpopular, but the point is that those who started this whole thing that bribery is wrong and if we dont take it seriosly we are ruinging the MUN were quite obviously wrong and have since departed. despite arguing against four of you, not one of you has yet put forward a coherent argument as to why i should listen to you and back down on this issue. were this the case then i would happily admit defeat, but until that day i shall continue to fight a very unpopular battle that allows me to bribe members simply because it is not against any rules. my moral compass may not be pointing in the right direction, but what many of you fail to understand is that little in life is fair. if you live in some misguided world where you believe that you an convince people to do the right thing, cure aids in Africa and then come back and tell me i should change my ways.

ReputationRep:
    Because we all want to gain the right to be a represtative of a country on equal footing. The best way to do this is to allow campaigning, but not campaigning to the extent your using an advantage which is totally irrelevent to the MUN.

Frankly I'd love to see a debate where we can cure aids in Africa or anywhere else but its just not possible.

I don't want you to "change your ways", I want you to stay true to your character and be judged on that.

if you live in some misguided world where you believe that you an convince people to do the right thing
    It's very sad you say that, as you leave no oppertunity tous that says we can convince you, so what is the point? Some people can be convinced without "rep points".

ReputationRep:
    Because we all want to gain the right to be a represtative of a country on equal footing. The best way to do this is to allow campaigning, but not campaigning to the extent your using an advantage which is totally irrelevent to the MUN.

Frankly I'd love to see a debate where we can cure aids in Africa or anywhere else but its just not possible.

I don't want you to "change your ways", I want you to stay true to your character and be judged on that.

It's very sad you say that, as you leave no oppertunity tous that says we can convince you, so what is the point? Some people can be convinced without "rep points".
    i have already said i will listen to any coherent argument, i will not however be bullied into believing what is right and wrong because it is the majority opinion.

there will always be an issue preventing "equal footing" instead of attmpting to change this, we should embrace it as much as possible, without breaking the rules. frankly there is no equal footing - if i asked you to choose between a friend of a couple of months or a candidate who was relatively unknown to you, for whatever reason, its not hard to see who would win. without trolling through all the previous posts of all candidates nobody can make an informed vote and frankly i dont think anyone does this and so there is no chance of all candidates starting on a fair footing. last time i checked we live in a capitalist economy where if every opportunity that is presented is not embraced, for fear of not doing the right thing, you will lose out to competitiors.

ReputationRep:
    ....without trolling through all the previous posts of all candidates nobody can make an informed vote and frankly i dont think anyone does this and so there is no chance of all candidates starting on a fair footing. last time i checked we live in a capitalist economy where if every opportunity that is presented is not embraced, for fear of not doing the right thing, you will lose out to competitiors.
    This is NOT real life. We are on an internet forum about a Model United Nations. Any gains that you make, really do not influence your real life. Sure, you can bribe a person in real life, the gain may be worth it. But here we are not trying to compete (other than our MUN carrot competition). We (or at least I) am trying to enjoy myself and improve my debating skills.

ReputationRep:
    Well I wouldn't say that actually, currently in the French election Unachance who has been here for six months has 8 votes, meanwhile the closest competitor has 6 votes and he's barely been here for 48 hours.

I don't think the capitalist philosophy says that every opportunity should be embraced. This "opportunity" clearly hasn't done your campaign wonders or you would be winning right now. Frankly I think you would have got more votes had you stuck to blunt manifesto and go from there rather than do this which has turned alot of people off completely. It's not a wise business move.

ReputationRep:
    Well I wouldn't say that actually, currently in the French election Unachance who has been here for six months has 8 votes, meanwhile the closest competitor has 6 votes and he's barely been here for 48 hours.

I don't think the capitalist philosophy says that every opportunity should be embraced. This "opportunity" clearly hasn't done your campaign wonders or you would be winning right now. Frankly I think you would have got more votes had you stuck to blunt manifesto and go from there rather than do this which has turned alot of people off completely. It's not a wise business move.
    you think elwilson has been using fair means? you are more naive that i thought:rolleyes:

i knew when Dhesi coaxed me into this, just how damaging it would be to my chances of making french rep. it would have been much easier to back down and apologise. but my principles dictate that i will stick by what i did because it was in no way contravening the rules of the MUN and although morally questionable, perfectly acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Well I haven't heard anything to the contrary, what evidence do you have to the contrary?

ReputationRep:
    Much as I hate to sound like a total idiot what is rep and what does it do?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq....rep#faq_whatis

ReputationRep:
    thanks, that makes everything a lot clearer

ReputationRep:
    Well I haven't heard anything to the contrary, what evidence do you have to the contrary?
    contrary of what?

ReputationRep:
    i knew when Dhesi coaxed me into this, just how damaging it would be to my chances of making french rep. it would have been much easier to back down and apologise. but my principles dictate that i will stick by what i did because it was in no way contravening the rules of the MUN and although morally questionable, perfectly acceptable.
    Well, for starters, if you bribe or offer to bribe another country, you could be called into a session with the International Court of Justice, which could pass a judgment to suspend the representation of your country. As this is entailed into the UN charter, at a MUN it is ''wrong''

ReputationRep:
    The contrary that would lead me to presume he was using anything other than fair means.

ReputationRep:
    contrary of what?
    I believe he means contrary to ElWilson using fair methods to get his votes.

ReputationRep:
    The contrary that would lead me to presume he was using anything other than fair means.
    can you sow me anything that proves that i have been doing so?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.