Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Biology F212 Revision [3rd June 2013] (Now Closed) Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you feel the F212 exam went?
    Awesome
    9.46%
    Good
    33.78%
    Okay
    35.81%
    Bad
    10.81%
    Rubbish
    5.41%
    Not Sure
    4.73%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevarsan)
    Yeah and the third one is change in dietary requirements

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as the exam is so close, which topics/module are you focusing on?

ReputationRep:
    Jan 2013 Paper
    Jan 2013 Mark Scheme

(the paper is a scan so sorry about the quality)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ché.;42901651][QUOTE=ssflcb;42900853]
    (Original post by Ché.)

Oh... I totally hear what you're saying.
    Me?

Lets just say by today, I will have to have known everything needed for Monday.
    I am confident that I can recall the specification, but it is the application which sometimes bewilders me.
    I got 91/100 in a couple mock examinations, but I still feel I need some work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The fact that you got 91/100 in a couple of mocks not even one kinda shows that you are pretty ready to ace the exam , so don't worry ! you sound like you'll get an amazingly high A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishkmistry)
    Type of nutrition for a prokaryote ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    heterotrophic and autotrophic, depends what prokaryote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevarsan)
    Suggest why rhinos are endangered (2
    Hunting for their horns
    destruction of their habitat for agriculture?

ReputationRep:
    Who's done June 2012 f212? WOW that paper killed me, i got 65/100 yet i was still 2 marks off an A (((

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=AishaTara;42901788][QUOTE=Ché.;42901651]
    (Original post by ssflcb)

why the sad face its 91 is amazing and full ums - whether you get 91 or 100 marks itll be same ums wise
    Thanks a load!
    I guess it is rather great, but you know?
    I wouldn't leave it there - a paper could be nice, get you extremely arrogant and then BAM!
    That horrid paper you had never dreamed of comes and smash you back in your face!

I just want to get higher than 86 for it; it will make my A grade stronger... Ah!
    Stress, stress, stress.

..., but I will smile now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone choosing to revise now since it's only a few days to the exam?

Feel like I know all the stuff then look at a paper and panic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren1brown)
    How's everyone choosing to revise now since it's only a few days to the exam?

Feel like I know all the stuff then look at a paper and panic

Posted from TSR Mobile
    First thing is first...
    DO NOT.

I use to get this plenty of times; quite frankly with every Biology paper I have ever taken.
    A great technique would be to strip the questions down - and I am really talking about the "suggest" or the blatant application questions with Evolution and all - and say to yourself: "What relates to this question that I have studied?"

Literally, everything in that examination you know - and you've said it yourself.
    It is the matter of complying with their mark scheme...
    I can't count how many times - including this moment right now - that I have had the feeling that the mark scheme is super simple and rather easy to comply with but we stress about it...

The phrasing of the question?
    Conjoined themes from different modules?
    That could f**k any candidate over - as if being under stress and nervous isn't enough!

Take a paper... Recollect your ideas for what you think they want you to mention... You're sorted.
    It'll help you see beyond their ridiculous attempts to throw us off with the same content but different phrasing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe1545)
    Who's done June 2012 f212? WOW that paper killed me, i got 65/100 yet i was still 2 marks off an A (((
    I automatically thought to myself for a minute: "Oh, that's a C."
    I completely forgot that it has been a decent boundary almost for the last three years!
    >_<

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ssflcb;42902529][QUOTE=Ché.;42901651]
    (Original post by ssflcb)

The fact that you got 91/100 in a couple of mocks not even one kinda shows that you are pretty ready to ace the exam , so don't worry ! you sound like you'll get an amazingly high A
    Haha!
    Thank you very much for your comment.
    I will just have to brace myself then... And go for it!
    How are you finding your preparation?
    Any further tips that you could share with me!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ché.)
    First thing is first...
    DO NOT.

I use to get this plenty of times; quite frankly with every Biology paper I have ever taken.
    A great technique would be to strip the questions down - and I am really talking about the "suggest" or the blatant application questions with Evolution and all - and say to yourself: "What relates to this question that I have studied?"

Literally, everything in that examination you know - and you've said it yourself.
    It is the matter of complying with their mark scheme...
    I can't count how many times - including this moment right now - that I have had the feeling that the mark scheme is super simple and rather easy to comply with but we stress about it...

The phrasing of the question?
    Conjoined themes from different modules?
    That could f**k any candidate over - as if being under stress and nervous isn't enough!

Take a paper... Recollect your ideas for what you think they want you to mention... You're sorted.
    It'll help you see beyond their ridiculous attempts to throw us off with the same content but different phrasing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah that's made me feel alot better thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    can someone help me with T lymphocytes and B lymphocytes and macrophages and all please??

I dont get clonal expansion and clonal selection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe1545)

it was a hard paper hence the low boundary.
    I dont think its ever been higher than high 70s for an A, which is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren1brown)
    Ah that's made me feel alot better thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're very welcome!
    I know majority of you guys on Student Room are amazing, anyway...
    Keep revising but most of you guys have nothing to worry about!
    Hard workers at their best = HERE!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhat16)
    can someone help me with T lymphocytes and B lymphocytes and macrophages and all please??

I dont get clonal expansion and clonal selection
    Sure!
    I can give it a go...

CLONAL SELECTION (1):
    T-lymphocytes actually are activated after antigen presentation at its initial stage.
    They are activated in their various forms - the ones we need to know are:
    - Helper T;
    - Killer T;
    - Memory T.

This is where the T-memory cells have already been differentiated and obviously stored as a source of immunological memory.

CLONAL EXPANSION (1):
    - Following the release of cytokines - which we can remember as signal chemicals - then allow the stimulation of B-lymphocyte activation. It must be known that for successful activation, B-lymphocytes AND the T-helper cells must be present.

These processes both happen again in a very similar format...
    The only difference is that the B-lymphocytes will obviously be covered in antibodies which will divide by mitosis in their genetically identical clones we call plasma cells.

So, in effect, Clonal Selection and Expansion occur twice in the space of your typical immune response.

One thing to clear up too is the difference in T and B lymphocytes in the form of memory cells.
    T - Records the immunological memory for ANTIGENS needed for the identical strain from the primary response ;
    B - records the immunological memory of ANTIBODIES needed for the identical strain from the primary response.

Is this clear enough!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any1 up for revision?

ReputationRep:
    I feel like crying .... the biodiversity module is so hard :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioGeek)
    Any1 up for revision?
    Yes, yes!
    I am up for it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.