Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    can someone update me on north korea? whats kim Jong Panda-Uns latest threat?...in fact get back to me when he actually fires a missile or something...

and wtf? whats this girl on about with EMP in possession of North Korea? LMAO whats next, north korea are in possession of a laser firing satellite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/08/br...-evil-britain/

Was wondering when he'd pipe up.
    Eh, George Galloway is an irrelevant ****. Listening to him is as pointless as a car without wheels.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    NK has warned foreigners staying in South Korea to evacuate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22082309

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    can someone update me on north korea? whats kim Jong Panda-Uns latest threat?...in fact get back to me when he actually fires a missile or something...

and wtf? whats this girl on about with EMP in possession of North Korea? LMAO whats next, north korea are in possession of a laser firing satellite?
    Ermmmmm they do have laser weapons -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZM-87

Not a laser firing satellite but a blinding laser nonetheless.

ReputationRep:

If I am online and have not posted anything new, that means there haven't been any events worth mentioning.

However, now I'm online, so I'll briefly summarise the main events of the past few hours/days (I'll post sources later when I have time):

• Mysterious large truck sighted at North Korean embassy in London; North Koreans say it is only for the secretary as he is leaving because his term has ended and that they are not clearing out the embassy.
    • Japan has deployed missile defense systems in Tokyo and elsewhere.
    • Chinese troops continue to mass in North Eastern China and NK border.
    • Analysts say nuclear/missile test is imminent whilst South Korean officials backtrack on their prediction that such is imminent.
    • North Korea tells foreigners in SK to evacuate in its latest "thermonuclear war" threat
    • Chinese tour company suspends all tours whilst international tour companies continue tours - it was not immediately clear whether NK had demanded the suspension or China had.

Apart from the above, it's been relatively quiet.

ReputationRep:

Lasers aren't that far away...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...-cannon-planes
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22076705

(Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    If I am online and have not posted anything new, that means there haven't been any events worth mentioning.
    Because you're the only one capable of keeping up to date with it? Behave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Tbf he does seem to dedicate a lot of time to watching this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    Ermmmmm they do have laser weapons -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZM-87

Not a laser firing satellite but a blinding laser nonetheless.
    oooh there gonna blind the soldiers for 10 seconds, ooh were so scared......parthetic....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    Tbf he does seem to dedicate a lot of time to watching this situation.
    he sits there 24/7 refreshing the news page on north korea

ReputationRep:
    Lasers aren't that far away...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...-cannon-planes
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22076705

that article was posted today? that means laser weaponary technology was unveiled today? crap these are signs of war...humanity is developing more ugly weapons

ReputationRep:
    I've just relaised its already the 10th April in Korea.

ReputationRep:
    that article was posted today? that means laser weaponary technology was unveiled today? crap these are signs of war...humanity is developing more ugly weapons
    No, laser weaponry has been around for a while, it's just getting better and more 'useful'. Whereas previously it's been more of a distraction/nuisance system (see the ZM-87 linked earlier) these have actual kinetic results. A bit more development on them to get round the all-weather issues - at the moment they can't be used in fog, rain, etc - and they'll be a viable weapons system.
    The US had planned to fit much larger versions to modified B-747 aircraft as an airborne anti-ballistic missile defence, but cancelled the project because they didn't think there'd be a need for it (nb, not because it didn't work... it does).

ReputationRep:
    http://rt.com/politics/g8-rejects-north-korea-579/

Looks like someone gave them their money back.

ReputationRep:
    US confident it can intercept North Korean missiles, says top admiral

Head of US Pacific Command says US military is 'ready' to stop a strike as North Korea warns foreigners to leave South Korea

The United States could intercept a ballistic missile launched by North Korea, the top US military commander in the Pacific said Tuesday, as the relationship between the West and the communist government hit its lowest ebb since the end of the Korean War.

Admiral Samuel Locklear, commander of US Pacific Command, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that Pyongyang's pursuit of nuclear weapons and long-range ballistic missiles represented a clear threat to the United States and its allies in the region.

But he said that the US was "ready" if North Korea attempted a strike and that it had the capability to thwart a North Korean missile.
    Earlier on Tuesday, Pyonyang warning foreigners living in South Koreato make evacuation plans because the peninsula is on the brink of war.

"We do not wish harm on foreigners in South Korea should there be a war," the official KCNA news agency quoted an official from a North Korean organisation calling itself Korea Asia-Pacific Peace Committee as saying.

I do hope that when the admiral was making his statements, that he had nearby regions in mind and not mainland USA - unless of course he knows something we don't? But no, I'm sure it's accurate to say that North Korea does not yet have the capability to strike mainland USA - so he must have meant nearby regions to NK?

ReputationRep:
    Is this really wise of the United States:

Sequester: US Air Force grounds combat planes

The US Air Force has begun grounding about a third of its combat aircraft in response to deep budget cuts that began to take effect in March.

The move will affect units in the US, Europe and the Pacific.

Air Force Gen Mike Hostage said aircraft would be grounded on a "rotating basis" to focus on "fulfilling critical missions".

Separately, the US Navy said the cuts will force it to ground its Blue Angels air show team for the rest of the year.

The Air Force's budget for the fiscal year ending in October is being reduced by $591m (£386m).

'Risk' to airpower

The cuts are part of the series of deficit reduction measures that began to take effect on 1 March.

About $85bn in across-the-board cuts for this year are divided roughly in half between military and domestic programmes.

The cuts took effect after Democrats and Republicans failed to agree to another plan to cut spending and reduce the US budget deficit.

The Pentagon had previously announced layoffs of 46,000 temporary employees in response to the budget pressures.

The Air Force says the aircraft stand-down is the result of cuts to the Air Combat Command's operations and maintenance account. The budget cuts have forced the service to reduce its flying by about 45,000 training hours.

Some affected units will stand down after current deployments, but the first units will be grounded on Tuesday 9 April.

Let's just hope that this doesn't come back to haunt them - it's always slightly worrying when the World Police () cuts its military which has helped cemented its neocolonial hegemony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Is this really wise of the United States:
    Let's just hope that this doesn't come back to haunt them - it's always slightly worrying when the World Police () cuts its military which has helped cemented its neocolonial hegemony.
    Stand down =/= Cut. No unit is being removed, no unit is unable to perform it's duty of defence. In the event of an attack, they will forgo the flight ban and do what they need to.

ReputationRep:
    Stand down =/= Cut. No unit is being removed, no unit is unable to perform it's duty of defence. In the event of an attack, they will forgo the flight ban and do what they need to.
    Oh yes, I'm well aware that cutting numbers is not a stand down, but it will put a bit of a stretch on the US military, especially if several "incidents" occur on several fronts - this is one of the fears (apocalyptic, if you will) US analysts constantly bang on about; namely, the fear that there will come a time when the the US army is so stretched on so many different fronts that some enemy or other will capitalise on this "weakness". But I'm sure it won't come to that.

ReputationRep:
    Should I be worried about this situation? How do you think it will effect us here in england?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    Should I be worried about this situation? How do you think it will effect us here in england?
    Not. Even. Slightly.

To both questions.

ReputationRep:
    Not. Even. Slightly.

To both questions.
    Isn't it slightly risky to say it wont affect us at all? I know very little about it, but then again we know very little about n Korea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.