Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarky747)
    Do you happen to have the January 2013 paper? My teachers aren't able to log on to the teacher section of the AQA website.

I don't see anything wrong with doing so as for the people doing AS next year the June 2013 paper will be the unknown one that they can't access.

Don't worry if you can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henpen)
    Do you happen to have the January 2013 paper? My teachers aren't able to log on to the teacher section of the AQA website.

I don't see anything wrong with doing so as for the people doing AS next year the June 2013 paper will be the unknown one that they can't access.

Don't worry if you can't.
    Yeah
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf AQA-PHYA1-W-QP-JAN13.pdf (390.9 KB, 84 views)

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  430.7 KB

how is the voltmeter measuring 'lost volts'? is it not measuring pd across the variable resistor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenChard)

how is the voltmeter measuring 'lost volts'? is it not measuring pd across the variable resistor?
    Lost volt is the voltage lost inside the battery.

ReputationRep:

I don't understand what your getting at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    Lost volt is the voltage lost inside the battery.
    the text says about as current increase, volts lots increase and pd decreases. I just need this explained please

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what your getting at?
    voltmeter is not measuring lost volt. it is measuring the voltage at the resistor. however, as the current increases, the lost volt inside the battery also increases so the pd across battery terminal decreases. and therefore, the voltmeter reads lower value of voltage at the resistance. Again, this is because more voltage is being used up in the battery (increase in lost volt). Did you get this?

ReputationRep:
    the text says about as current increase, volts lots increase and pd decreases. I just need this explained please
    As current increases. Heat dissipated in the battery increases and so more voltage is lost in the internal resistance of the battery as increased temperature increases voltage needed. Therefore as more volts are lost in the battery. The voltage shown on the voltmeter will have decreased.

ReputationRep:
    voltmeter is not measuring lost volt. it is measuring the voltage at the resistor. however, as the current increases, the lost volt inside the battery also increases so the pd across battery terminal decreases. and therefore, the voltmeter reads lower value of voltage at the resistance. Again, this is because more voltage is being used up in the battery (increase in lost volt). Did you get this?
    thanks that's cleared things up

ReputationRep:
    As current increases. Heat dissipated in the battery increases and so more voltage is lost in the internal resistance of the battery as increased temperature increases voltage needed. Therefore as more volts are lost in the battery. The voltage shown on the voltmeter will have decreased.
    Yes! that is what I said.

ReputationRep:
    thanks that's cleared things up
    Your welcome!

ReputationRep:
    Yes! that is what I said.
    Sorry, you must of posted it while I was typing.

ReputationRep:
    this also helped, thanks:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, you must of posted it while I was typing.
    Oh! It is ok.

ReputationRep:
    The volts are lost to increased heating due to current.... it becomes much lesser than the EMF value (which can be considered as like the true pd).

This is why you can only find EMF when the current is zero... because there's no heating in the circuit therefore no resistance.... therefore no loss of volts so you get the EMF, this of course practically never happens... there's always some kind of resistance So that's why you use the graph from experimental data to predict the EMF value

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone have a list of all the experiments that could come up for 6 marker for unit 1?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what are the hardest electricity questions you have ever come across in the past papers?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah
    Excellent, you are by far the most useful person I know wrt the January 2013 papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatt.B)
    Hi does anyone have a list of all the experiments that could come up for 6 marker for unit 1?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...4&d=1368903799
    that's what has come up, I think it will be:

- graph of emf and internal resistance
    - graph of threshold frequency and work function
    - filament lamp circuit
    - osiclloscope

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...4&d=1368903799
    that's what has come up, I think it will be:

- graph of emf and internal resistance
    - graph of threshold frequency and work function
    - filament lamp circuit
    - osiclloscope
    Thank you! Also, is tommorow likely to be a harder paper? since most people doing it will be retaking?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.