Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiam)
    Hey guys m freakin out to select universities !! I am in Uk just from last 2 years. I am a EU student though !
    My Stats :-
    GCSES equivalent qualification from India with 6-7 A*s (But dont know which uni's except international qualifications )

GCSES- 4 A*, 2 A (did 3 gcses along AS)

AS- AAAA

A2_ A*A*AA

I am doing my English Gcse along A2s (really big downside )

PLENTY of work experience in India and in the UK.

Expecting 800s in UKCAT and going to give a go at BMAT aswel !!

I want to apply to best and most suitable universities, but also dont want to waste any of my choices !!

HELP PLEASE !!!!

With a UKCAT like that then I would suggest you start here:

Medical School UKCAT requirements

Though remember if you don't achieve that then your choices ma have to change.

You'd be pretty much assured an interview at Soton I would imagine as they are interviewing by UKCAT score.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone
    Stats:
    GCSE- 8A* 2A
    AS- AAAA
    A2- A*A*A* (predicted)
    UKCAT- 747.5

Thinking of Manchester, Aberdeen (these are definites!!), Cambridge/Edinburgh, Leicester, Sheffield ( have to choose between the last few)
    Anyone applying anywhere similar to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oranjuice)
    wow, that's brilliant, can you please tell me what you got at AS because i did the same subjects this year
    Hey just seen this, I got 2A's (Bio, Chem) and 2B's ( Maths and physics) in As

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    I can't give you much advice other than check the wiki articles, but when you said that you GCSE C in English would restrict your choices... have you thought about resitting it?
    I have, but Ive been an idiot and never got round to doing it, I am planning on doing it this year along side my 3rd year but Im going to apply to universities that don't need it this year

HATE thats they still look at GCSE's when you have the A levels and will have a degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)
    If your A*'s are in the core subjects, birmingham, st georges and probably manchester and cardiff would secure you interviews if you meet the other requirments.

You'd also be in a good position to apply anywhere apart from the really heavy ukcat universities. But your personal statement would have to be good.
    Thanks for your reply, I have A* in english literature, eng lang, eng media, french, history, RS, drama and textiles but in my sciences and maths I have A's. Will that still be ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prafto)
    Hey everyone
    Stats:
    GCSE- 8A* 2A
    AS- AAAA
    A2- A*A*A* (predicted)
    UKCAT- 747.5

Thinking of Manchester, Aberdeen (these are definites!!), Cambridge/Edinburgh, Leicester, Sheffield ( have to choose between the last few)
    Anyone applying anywhere similar to me?
    Im applying to Manchester and Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    hey I'm a reapplicant, got A*AAb for my A-levels. does anyone know any unis where my grades may be advantageous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeyP96)
    Im applying to Manchester and Sheffield
    Nice choices
    Where else are you considering?

I'm between Leicester/Sheffield and Cambirdge/Ediburgh for my last two haha

Though I think I will probably go for Leicester as I'm guaranteed an interview there, and Sheffield are a bit PS heavy right?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I was hoping to re-apply to medicine but Im not sure if my stats are strong enough.

GCSE:6A*'s,2A,1B and Distintion (ICT)
    My Alevel Results

Biology A
    Chemistry A
    Maths A

AS level
    Physic B
    Further Maths C
    EPQ A

UKCAT

• Verbal reasoning -460
    • Quantitative reasoning - 560
    • Abstract reasoning - 630
    • Decision Analysis -700

• SITUATIONAL JUDGEMENT- Band -1

can someone let me know if I will have a strong enough application this time round and if so with what unis? I really don't want to re-apply if I dont have a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b.harrison57)
    Thanks for your reply, I have A* in english literature, eng lang, eng media, french, history, RS, drama and textiles but in my sciences and maths I have A's. Will that still be ok?
    Ok take out birmingham as you need A*'s in sciences and maths, you'll have a good chance at the rest if you put together a good personal statement. For your fourth option you can apply almost anywhere minus BMAT universities, but depending on the university personal statement will play a big part. For example bristol/liverpool/Leeds you'll score full marks for academics but then you'll need a very good personal statement aswell to score high enough to be invited for interview.

I would advice doing alot of independant research though to make sure you come to the best personal decision.

(Original post by bs36)
    Hey guys I was hoping to re-apply to medicine but Im not sure if my stats are strong enough.

My Alevel Results

Biology A
    Chemistry A
    Maths A

AS level
    Physic B
    Further Maths C
    EPQ A

UKCAT

• Verbal reasoning -460
    • Decision Analysis -700

can someone let me know if I will have a strong enough application this time round and if so with what unis? I really don't want to re-apply if I dont have a good chance.
    Look at non- Ukcat universities. Bristol/liverpool/BSMS/Lancasher/cardiff

Your chances will be dependant on the quality of your personal statement, if it'sreally good your chances are good at getting an interview. So make sure you put alot into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prafto)
    Nice choices
    Where else are you considering?

I'm between Leicester/Sheffield and Cambirdge/Ediburgh for my last two haha

Though I think I will probably go for Leicester as I'm guaranteed an interview there, and Sheffield are a bit PS heavy right?
    I'm also applying to UEA, and I was thinking Lancaster but they only have like 50 places so that scares me, I might change it to either Liverpool or Exeter but I'm not sure yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeyP96)
    No I'm not international,
    My stats are
    GCSE:5A* 6A 1B and Distinction in IT
    AS: AAAA in Chemistry, Human Biology, Physics and Psychology
    UKCAT: 692.5

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your grades are amazing. Well done. Your UKCAT is also pretty good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicalMaureen)
    Your grades are amazing. Well done. Your UKCAT is also pretty good
    Sheffield is my first choice so I've been working really hard on my personal statement. My teacher said she's been really nice in my reference so thats good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richtea5)
    Having received four rejections this year I am ready to reapply in the summer.
    I am definitely going to reapply to Leicester but a lot of where to apply rests on the UKCAT so will have to wait and see for the other places
    sorry to ask but do you know why you were rejected ?

what grades did you get for gcse and a levels and where did you apply for?

sorry i feel sooo sorry for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vashappeninkira)
    sorry to ask but do you know why you were rejected ?

what grades did you get for gcse and a levels and where did you apply for?

sorry i feel sooo sorry for you
    haha you don't need to feel sorry, it's disappointing but you're in the same position as many which is fully reflective of how competitive the field is.

GCSEs i got where 6A*3A and a B (ive done a gcse in latin since than but still not got the grade from school..)
    A-levels I got AAAa and a* in EPQ.
    and I applied for sheff, newcastle, manchester and leicester (with 680 ukcat)

reasons for rejection from leicester? well the MMI format i think is overall fair but i'd say when the stations were 'interviews' i didn't quite get into it felt like i was just getting started before it was over. but i think i lost most 'points' on a task where i just messed up the timing and didnt really answer any of the questions - i asked for feedback and i was only really 6-7% off an offer so that's pretty in line with where i think i went wrong (essentially missing a MMI station).

reasons for rejection in general? I didn't talk about what i'd done in the 'right' way, I find it difficult to boast about my achievements and stuff not being overly humble but instead just sounding unimpressive really. I think one of the main things I took away was what you've done working towards medicine can amount to very little if you don't talk about it in the right way ie relating to medicine/being a doctor etc.
    I left my first (ever) interview in manchester thinking I hadn't really told them anything about myself/ why i want to do medicine etc. Not through being too nervous ( i was conversational/ friendly/ polite but i didn't make a strong enough case for myself for being a good candidate)

-all the feedback i got back was basically you were good but it's competitive
    my main advice for interview stages would be;firstly try and get a mix of interview fromats (some traditional/ some MMI since you don't know your strenghs and secondly talk about medicine/ why you will be good/ why you want to be a doctor at these interviews. (sounds basic but yeh pretty sure that'll work)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilypad41)
    Hi i would really like some advise on whether i have a chance in getting an offer to study medicine
    for gcse i got 2A* 4As and 4Bs
    for A LEVEL i got 3As ( chemistry, maths, psychology) a B (Greek) and a C (Biology)
    predicted grades: A*AA
    UKCAT: 707.5
    i am planning on dropping biology and only applying to universities that dont ask for biology
    the universities i am thinking of appling are Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham, East Anglia, Sheffield and Newcastle
    i meet all the entry requirements.. any opinions on which unis i should apply to
    Nottingham and UEA require Biology A2, but so far as Biology is concerned, you're OK with the others.
    http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...-medicine.aspx
    http://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergrad...e#requirements
    The wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' is a good place to check that your strengths match the things a med school is looking for. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiam)
    Hey guys m freakin out to select universities !! I am in Uk just from last 2 years. I am a EU student though! My Stats :-
    GCSES equivalent qualification from India with 6-7 A*s (But dont know which uni's except international qualifications )
    GCSES- 4 A*, 2 A (did 3 gcses along AS)
    AS- AAAA
    A2_ A*A*AA
    I am doing my English Gcse along A2s (really big downside )
    PLENTY of work experience in India and in the UK.
    Expecting 800s in UKCAT and going to give a go at BMAT aswel !!
    I want to apply to best and most suitable universities, but also dont want to waste any of my choices !! HELP PLEASE !!!!
    Med schools are used to receiving applications from internationals, so they will be able to handle the qualifications you've obtained elsewhere. The wiki has a lot of info that will help you decide where to apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamil4)
    Hey guys need some help! My stats:
    GCSEs 1A* 9As 1B
    AS-Levels AABBCD
    Predicted AAABC
    UKCAT 715 (SJT Band 4)
    Work Experience 18 days at various hospitals and wards as well as 3 years of volunteering
    I'm confused about where to apply!
    I definetly want to apply to Barts but I'm not sure on the rest. I like the idea of PBL and was considering St.George's and UEA before (they are reasonably close to home as well) but they dont look at UKCAT too much and I want to use my score to favour me.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    (Original post by b.harrison57)
    Hi!
    My results at the moment are GCSE - 8 A*s, 4 A's and a B, AS - ABBB with B's in Chemistry and Biology. I think I will be predicted A*AA but I'm going to resit 2 of my chemistry modules to hopefully get an A in AS chemistry. In my ukcat I got 698 average. Where would be best to apply and what is the next step for 2014 entry? Thank you!
    (Original post by bs36)
    My Alevel Results Biology A Chemistry A Maths A
    AS level Physic B Further Maths C EPQ A
    UKCAT
    • Verbal reasoning -460
    • Decision Analysis -700
    The wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' is a good place to check how your strengths and weaknesses align with the things a med school is looking for, and the article about UKCAT explains how each med school uses UKCAT in the selection process. Good luck!
    • Welcome Squad

Is Medify decent for UKCAT? Or has anyone used anything better?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just done my ukcat got 694 average and 2770 overall really happy with this! Where do you think will be best to apply with this score?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.