Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I think two weeks is enough. That tends to be the minimum. To be honest, you hear all sorts of stories to do with exp. Some people have loads (maybe years) and still don't get a place, others have two weeks or something and are successful. I would think your husband would at least get an interview, and then he can focus on impressing at interview! I'm not applying for primary though, so someone else might want to comment. I believe it is more competitive than secondary. I wish him the best of luck.

I have a question myself, to anyone who knows. Can you defer an offer? I don't think you can but I thought I'd check.
    I imagine it would be completely dependent on the uni. If you're considering it at this stage I'd probably say wait a year, but if it's something which may come up after getting a place and it does, contact the uni to ask.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'm hoping the fact he is a man applying for primary might swing him a interview too.
    When you say to be reflective, are you talking about commenting on the different types of learning needs/teaching styles observed and what did/didn't work well etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I imagine it would be completely dependent on the uni. If you're considering it at this stage I'd probably say wait a year, but if it's something which may come up after getting a place and it does, contact the uni to ask.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not considering it because I want to defer, it's because I've been unwell for ages and I think I'm going to end up taking a leave of absence and applying next year now, but I guess if that's the case I can't apply now anyway really. Such a let down, I was really hyped up to apply this year trying to look at the positives, like how I can get more experience and do a bit more reading up on my PGCE subject, also maybe the skills tests will be a bit more concrete then.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not considering it because I want to defer, it's because I've been unwell for ages and I think I'm going to end up taking a leave of absence and applying next year now, but I guess if that's the case I can't apply now anyway really. Such a let down, I was really hyped up to apply this year trying to look at the positives, like how I can get more experience and do a bit more reading up on my PGCE subject, also maybe the skills tests will be a bit more concrete then.
    Yes definitely, think if how much you can take from a years worth of experience. And the skills tests won't be a surprise like for everyone else.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think two weeks is enough. That tends to be the minimum. To be honest, you hear all sorts of stories to do with exp. Some people have loads (maybe years) and still don't get a place, others have two weeks or something and are successful. I would think your husband would at least get an interview, and then he can focus on impressing at interview! I'm not applying for primary though, so someone else might want to comment. I believe it is more competitive than secondary. I wish him the best of luck.

I have a question myself, to anyone who knows. Can you defer an offer? I don't think you can but I thought I'd check.
    You might find the rare institution that let's you if you have good reason, but the answer is generally no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloclo15)
    Thanks, I'm hoping the fact he is a man applying for primary might swing him a interview too.
    When you say to be reflective, are you talking about commenting on the different types of learning needs/teaching styles observed and what did/didn't work well etc?
    Yep pretty much. Though he should be wary of critiquing the teacher too much.

ReputationRep:
    For the personal statement how have people structured it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else struggling getting school experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Anyone else struggling getting school experience?
    Are you at uni? I've managed to get a placement in a school through uni. Also, I did a placement in my old primary school. I think you should keep emailing around, or phone them. I must have emailed about 10 schools and only one got back to me and said I could volunteer so I managed to get some work experience in June there. But if I wasn't getting a placement through uni now, I would struggle

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    Are you at uni? I've managed to get a placement in a school through uni. Also, I did a placement in my old primary school. I think you should keep emailing around, or phone them. I must have emailed about 10 schools and only one got back to me and said I could volunteer so I managed to get some work experience in June there. But if I wasn't getting a placement through uni now, I would struggle

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice, I will try contact my university about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which department did you contact in order to get your placement?

ReputationRep:
    The PGCE people usually know about these opportunities, otherwise the careers office should know.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is there a volunteering department? I got a placement through volunteering who had contacts with loads of schools and then one off things such as helping with school children who visited the uni and other stuff it's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl92)
    Is there a volunteering department? I got a placement through volunteering who had contacts with loads of schools and then one off things such as helping with school children who visited the uni and other stuff it's worth a try.
    Thanks for your reply, BabyGirl. Yes, there is. I will email them tomorrow morning. Did you also do class observation? Can I ask what subject and level are you applying? I am applying from secondary spanish and french.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also hoping to apply for a PGCE Secondary History for 2014. I'm from N.Ireland but hoping to head over to England to do my PGCE and have been looking at Worcester, Bristol, Exeter and Southampton. Is anyone else looking at these universities and course?

So far, I've got a couple of days experience at the end of last term, was tutoring a guy for his GCSEs, did some educational volunteering in a local museum and currently working as a classroom assistant in a secondary school with pupils with Special Educational Needs like Aspergers and Autism so I'm hoping this experience of working with SEN pupils and general behaviour management will help me as well as getting to see what classes are like from a pupils perspective and the different teaching techniques.

My main worry is the personal statement at the moment, I'm trying to find the right way to structure it all right. Anyone have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    My uni has an access and community engagement centre so they do a lot of education outreach things. But maybe if you see your careers centre they might be able to point you in the right direction?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl92)
    Yeah and this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many choices do we get this year? Is it three? And when can we officially apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    How many choices do we get this year? Is it three? And when can we officially apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1st November.

P.S. Thanks for answering my question.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if taking a leave of absence would be harmful to my application? Due to illness it is looking that I'll have to take leave and apply next year instead sadly. It would be pretty harsh for a uni to judge on that but I thought I'd ask because some unis can be weird haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.