The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mechie)
Just signed up for an evening course of Danish at a near-ish university, anyone have any experience of stuff like this?
Speak a bit of Norsk - which I'd say is pretty similar
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by StatusRed)
Right. [B]Why don't you learn Swedish[B] which is probably more useful first?
NO

:beard:
Mechie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Speak a bit of Norsk - which I'd say is pretty similar
How is it as a language to learn?
StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably the same as Danish.

I speak to a lot of Scandinavians and Norwegians (in general) say that "Danish people sound like they're speaking Norwegian with a potato in their mouth.".
Endless Blue
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What?
I thought it was quite self-explanatory, if ostensibly non-sequitur.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mechie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably the same as Danish.

I speak to a lot of Scandinavians and Norwegians (in general) say that "Danish people sound like they're speaking Norwegian with a potato in their mouth.".
Yes, which is why I'm asking. I know the two are similar, so from someone who knows a bit of the similar language I'm asking how it is to learn, as I will be learning a similar language. So, answering "probably the same as Danish" isn't very helpful
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good luck to those awaiting their GCSE results tomorrow!
ukip72
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
I work at a college, can't wait for all the calls from students worried they won't get onto their course.
Endless Blue
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
I don't think we have many GCSEers this time around.
Mazzini
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good luck to all GCSE resultees :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's like German - although Norsk is getting lazy, phasing out some of the masculine, feminine, neutral terminology which has plagued every other language bar English.
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
It's like German - although Norsk is getting lazy, phasing out some of the masculine, feminine, neutral terminology which has plagued every other language bar English.
I've never understood the sense in languages having masculine and feminine terminology, seems to needlessly complicate things and also why English doesn't use it even though English is derived and influenced by languages which do, such as German and French.
MacDaddi
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
Thanks guys I've done well
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've never understood the sense in languages having masculine and feminine terminology, seems to needlessly complicate things and also why English doesn't use it even though English is derived and influenced by languages which do, such as German and French.
I'm surprised about that too - English has a reputation as being the one of the most complex languages.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For inflected languages where the endings change for different cases, grouping using gender can help to provide a certain regularity to nouns. Surprisingly, I don't feel that it complicates matters that much really and I think that the reason you view it as a complication is because you're a native English speaker and so haven't had to categorise words into genders before.
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by toronto353)
For inflected languages where the endings change for different cases, grouping using gender can help to provide a certain regularity to nouns. Surprisingly, I don't feel that it complicates matters that much really and I think that the reason you view it as a complication is because you're a native English speaker and so haven't had to categorise words into genders before.
How is it not more complicated though? It adds another association to a word that you need to learn for every noun.

le garçon and la fille, for example.
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How is it not more complicated though? It adds another association to a word that you need to learn for every noun.

le garçon and la fille, for example.
Yes, but French is perhaps an exception here. If anything, in my experience of learning languages, you eventually don't notice the various genders and only do if you need to figure out something about that word. In short, it doesn't add any complication in the end really.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by toronto353)
Yes, but French is perhaps an exception here. If anything, in my experience of learning languages, you eventually don't notice the various genders and only do if you need to figure out something about that word. In short, it doesn't add any complication in the end really.
German is the same, and Dutch has 'het' or 'de' words. Not remembering the gender is usually the thing that gives me away as a non-native speaker of these languages.
Mazzini
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MacDaddi)
Thanks guys I've done well
Congrats :woo:

One piece of advice for next year: be organised!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saoirse:3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Clayton2k14)
QFA
You seem to have disabled PMs. If you wish for your application to re-join Labour to be considered, you will need to re-enable these and get in touch with me.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1336)
79.67%
Leave (341)
20.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed