Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jalouise)
    To be honest I think getting through the exams was the hardest part and it shows your academic potential so you should pat yourself on the back. I also honestly think interviews aren't fair to say that one of my friend she's super shy and really bright but her shyness stopped her from getting into the school she wanted to get into which sucks. I think interviews combine a lot of skills such as logical thinking, enthusiasm character etc. so it does make it quite tricky, having a bad day could potentially effect you in your interview etc.

I think my interview was decent, it wasn't terrible it wasn't amazing but I hope it was enough. And it's okay about the noun thing, they will take into consideration that you are nervous. Although from what you've told me you seem to have done well!

You go to a Harris School? This is really bad but I wasn't aware of any Harris schools until I stumbled upon Harris Westminister xD

Mrs Miles also spoke to me about how competitive it will be and that the admission process isn't to get rid of anyone who isn't bright but just to make sure who they are taking in will not struggle next year amongst other bright students.

I didn't answer the back page in my maths exam because I didn't see it xD I barely got through my Chemistry paper. The only paper I successfully completed was Biology! Honestly I was just waiting for the 'Sorry but you have not made it to the interview stage.'

We just have to wait a week I think I can handle that, I waited for over 3 weeks for an interview I had at another sixthform...that was absolute torture and the worst thing is they didn't even inform me about when the letters will be out so it was always searching through letters every morning xD

Oh and was the number on the sheet we had to sign in on what we scored on the subject paper or was it our overall score?
    I agree with about the interview thing because there are many factors which affect on your performance, but the best way to overcome it is to come up with a strategy which will not affect you no matter what.

Oh gosh... Don't even begin with maths... Everyone who done the maths exam from my school were all saying how ridiculously hard it was and I was there laughing at my mental incapability of completing one exam that was just words.

One week is not that long when you think about it, mentally it feels like its taken more than that, but its probably because of the nerves.

On the sheet that we signed into it showed our subject score and our overall score and then blank boxes where they gave you your mark on each of the things they marked you on.

And, yeah I go to a Harris, nothing to special about it really, there is no big bonanza about them, just simply a load of schools connected into one federation, I guess there are good and bad things with it but overall its good enough for me to consider staying and also if I make it in to Westminster then i'm still liked to it whether I like it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffyn)
    Holy. Looks like someone will be getting an admission letter next week.
    Your probably getting one as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyth4824)
    Your probably getting one as well
    Dear god, I hope so. But, as I already told someone (not on here), whether I did well or not in my interview is entirely open to interpretation. I asked a lot of (what I hoped was insightful) questions in my interview, but on hindsight, perhaps my interviewer thought I was being dense. Regardless, there were only two things I regret in that interview 1) when asked why I liked physics I could have phrased my answer A LOT better and 2) should have just wedged something about black holes into the conversation just to prove that I do read beyond the syllabus, but too late for that now. I thoroughly enjoyed my interview because not only was he very nice, but also because I didn't treat it as an interview, more sort of an extra half hour physics lesson between two people who are passionate about physics.

ReputationRep:
    Dear god, I hope so. But, as I already told someone (not on here), whether I did well or not in my interview is entirely open to interpretation. I asked a lot of (what I hoped was insightful) questions in my interview, but on hindsight, perhaps my interviewer thought I was being dense. Regardless, there were only two things I regret in that interview 1) when asked why I liked physics I could have phrased my answer A LOT better and 2) should have just wedged something about black holes into the conversation just to prove that I do read beyond the syllabus, but too late for that now. I thoroughly enjoyed my interview because not only was he very nice, but also because I didn't treat it as an interview, more sort of an extra half hour physics lesson between two people who are passionate about physics.
    I feel pretty much the same,before the interview I already knew what I wanted to talk about because I have a huge interest in Latin America and because of that I had knowledge before hand but because of the interview moving swiftly there was not time to expand on points which I would consider as BOOM!
    And also I only asked one question at the end because there is only so much you can ask in a language interview
    However,what's done is done and you probably done really well so you should be really proud of your self and don't be surprised when you get that acceptance letter because you show the enthusiasm and perseverance the school wants from its students.

ReputationRep:
    Holy. Looks like someone will be getting an admission letter next week.
    Highly doubt that! You seemed to enjoy your interview, you did Physics right? I kind of wish I chose to do an interview where factual knowledge could be applied xD

ReputationRep:
    Highly doubt that! You seemed to enjoy your interview, you did Physics right? I kind of wish I chose to do an interview where factual knowledge could be applied xD
    Whilst I can't say I like RS (promptly dropped it at gcse when given the chance), I think subjects such as RS or philosophy or English would provide an amazing basis to be interviewed on, as these are all subjects which are thought-provoking and allows you to express your opinions and viewpoints. Thus, I think it is with subjects like these which will provide a real insight for the interviewer on what the candidate is thinking about - ultimately, there will be some candidates who haven't given the topics they are doing at school much thought and will only scratch the surface of the discussion given, whereas some will be able to provide a more deeper and meaningful discussion on the topic at hand, and it will be these people which HWSF will make offers to (judging from your previous post, you seemed to do that). Whilst factual subjects would be easier to be interviewed on, there is not much space to express yourself. Perhaps, did you ask your interviewer for their viewpoint on the matter as well (you talked about euthanasia-perhaps you and the interviewer could have had a conversation sharing your opinions on the matter).
    I feel pretty much the same,before the interview I already knew what I wanted to talk about because I have a huge interest in Latin America and because of that I had knowledge before hand but because of the interview moving swiftly there was not time to expand on points which I would consider as BOOM!
    And also I only asked one question at the end because there is only so much you can ask in a language interview
    However,what's done is done and you probably done really well so you should be really proud of your self and don't be surprised when you get that acceptance letter because you show the enthusiasm and perseverance the school wants from its students.
    I do love physics, so long as it veers right away from electricity/magnetism/motor/transformers, which unfortunately is what we are learning about currently.

ReputationRep:
    Your interview sounds great! Yeah there's plenty I regret not saying, better phrasing etc. I think my asking tons of questions makes you seem passionate and eager about your subject! That's exactly what they are looking for I hardly asked any questions

ReputationRep:
    So when do you guys think we'll receive the letters? Because I'm getting rather anxious!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I can't say I like RS (promptly dropped it at gcse when given the chance), I think subjects such as RS or philosophy or English would provide an amazing basis to be interviewed on, as these are all subjects which are thought-provoking and allows you to express your opinions and viewpoints. Thus, I think it is with subjects like these which will provide a real insight for the interviewer on what the candidate is thinking about - ultimately, there will be some candidates who haven't given the topics they are doing at school much thought and will only scratch the surface of the discussion given, whereas some will be able to provide a more deeper and meaningful discussion on the topic at hand, and it will be these people which HWSF will make offers to (judging from your previous post, you seemed to do that). Whilst factual subjects would be easier to be interviewed on, there is not much space to express yourself. Perhaps, did you ask your interviewer for their viewpoint on the matter as well (you talked about euthanasia-perhaps you and the interviewer could have had a conversation sharing your opinions on the matter).

I do love physics, so long as it veers right away from electricity/magnetism/motor/transformers, which unfortunately is what we are learning about currently.
    I agree there was much discussion involved and it was certainly thought provoking and it was definitely hard to formulate an opinion on the spot. It was difficult in the sense that I had nothing to go on, lean back on for support it was all: me. Whereas with an interview like Chemistry I could easily relate something to bonding energies, titration etc. and there would be an answer. Religious Studies was quite open, I didn't know whether I said the right thing, if I was being too biased, I honestly felt there was no sense of direction just discussing. And yes it does have its advantages like you have mention but it has it's disadvantage also. I didn't even prepare for the interview mainly because I didn't know how so I honestly didn't feel prepared which honestly didn't help my confidence. I just hope things went okay. My interviewer also kept a neutral expression throughout my whole interview so I didn't even know whether whatever I was saying was 'right'. So argh very frustrating!

And sadly no, he didn't share his opinions and when I did try to ask him he immediately diverted it back to me. I think he assumed I would branch off his views or just wanted to hear what I think.

I love physics! It was between Religious Studies and Physics for me I decided to go with an essay based subject to complement my other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoolAid)
    So when do you guys think we'll receive the letters? Because I'm getting rather anxious!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I've always received my letters on a Saturday so for me by next Saturday? They seem to always send letters out on a Friday. Perhaps they'll send letters out next Friday?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with about the interview thing because there are many factors which affect on your performance, but the best way to overcome it is to come up with a strategy which will not affect you no matter what.

Oh gosh... Don't even begin with maths... Everyone who done the maths exam from my school were all saying how ridiculously hard it was and I was there laughing at my mental incapability of completing one exam that was just words.

One week is not that long when you think about it, mentally it feels like its taken more than that, but its probably because of the nerves.

On the sheet that we signed into it showed our subject score and our overall score and then blank boxes where they gave you your mark on each of the things they marked you on.

And, yeah I go to a Harris, nothing to special about it really, there is no big bonanza about them, just simply a load of schools connected into one federation, I guess there are good and bad things with it but overall its good enough for me to consider staying and also if I make it in to Westminster then i'm still liked to it whether I like it or not.
    I'm trying not to think about it...coming on here isn't helping. I think you have a slight advantage being from a Harris School so yippee! I really just want to know whether I am in or not. It's the not knowing that's frustrating.

Goodluck! I really hope you get in, you seem super bright ><

ReputationRep:
    Well I've always received my letters on a Saturday so for me by next Saturday? They seem to always send letters out on a Friday. Perhaps they'll send letters out next Friday?

Hey, can everyone on this thread post as soon as they get their letter and say whether you got accepted,what your A level subjects are and if you will accept their offer and attend the school in september. Hopefully, all of us will!!!!! IM SOOOO NERVOUS

P.s. could anyone that had their interview on the 5th tell me how it went and why your interview was a different day?
    Thanks!!!
    x

ReputationRep:
    what! Next Saturday! That's such a long wait! The interview letter came on Saturday but I think the first ever letter I received from them was on Tuesday or Wednesday. Oh, that's sad to hear that your interviewer didn't want to divulge his opinions. For physics, I asked my interviewer to explain to me what energy and charge was and he obliged(!) well, when I say asked, I really mean I said "I've always wondered what exactly is energy and charge… so could you tell me?" and then he started to explain it for me. Although, the things he did say I already knew - that energy was a thing that was transferable and charge was a number. What I really wanted to know was - is energy a wave? Or a vibration? If we could see it, what would energy be composed of? But the conversation quickly turned into a discussion about the universe so that was the end of that.

ReputationRep:

Astrophysics and quantum Physics I find the most interesting out of all aspects of Physics that I am aware of however the others I find completely unbearable hence as to why I am letting go of all sciences and types of Maths at the end of this year. But I am sure you are can deal with it because you are so passionate about the subject and hopefully you will get a place because you really deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying not to think about it...coming on here isn't helping. I think you have a slight advantage being from a Harris School so yippee! I really just want to know whether I am in or not. It's the not knowing that's frustrating.

Goodluck! I really hope you get in, you seem super bright ><
    I doubt that I have any advantage, and I am going to try and avoid going on here as well because it just make me more nervous, I really hope you get in as well, that way we can have a proper conversation without being in an awkward tense waiting room as you appear super bright as well and a great person to talk to ¡BUENA SUERTE!

ReputationRep:
    Astrophysics and quantum Physics I find the most interesting out of all aspects of Physics that I am aware of however the others I find completely unbearable hence as to why I am letting go of all sciences and types of Maths at the end of this year. But I am sure you are can deal with it because you are so passionate about the subject and hopefully you will get a place because you really deserve it.
    Whoa, snap. Although I haven't researched into quantum physics properly, I read the first few lines on what wiki had to say on it and I simply can not wait to learn about it at a-level (at least, I think it's on the syllabus). Astrophysics is amazing too. Basically, I like everything that is abstract or is 'far away', and for me, electricity is a bit too close to real life when i prefer studying things invisible such as energy/atoms etc (looks like I won't be going into engineering any time soon...). Also, to everyone on here - don't avoid this thread! I need people to talk to!

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, snap. Although I haven't researched into quantum physics properly, I read the first few lines on what wiki had to say on it and I simply can not wait to learn about it at a-level (at least, I think it's on the syllabus). Astrophysics is amazing too. Basically, I like everything that is abstract or is 'far away', and for me, electricity is a bit too close to real life when i prefer studying things invisible such as energy/atoms etc (looks like I won't be going into engineering any time soon...). Also, to everyone on here - don't avoid this thread! I need people to talk to!
    I'm avoiding the physics talk for now. It isn't really my cup of tea. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoolAid)
    I'm avoiding the physics talk for now. It isn't really my cup of tea. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, you could just start another topic discussion on here about your favourite subject, and people may just respond to your post .

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, just want to say i just check twitter, and the letter is just send out for the offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yuting zhuang)
    hey guys, just want to say i just check twitter, and the letter is just send out for the offers
    Woooo!
    Awesome. Thanks

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.