The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by hskjlclcn
I can understand people doubting him, but I'm surprised about the amount of people completely writing Nadal off after everything he's proved to them before!

I was actually joking when i said he should retire. It's a joke based on the people who said Fed should retire in 11.. he then won 6 of the next 8 tournaments and took back the number 1 spot.

Nadal will be at the top of the game until the day he retires.. because it'll be injury that forces his retirement (though a small part of me suspects he may retire a year after Federer - his career will always be defined by that rivalry and we know it means a lot to him).
Reply 541
Original post by lizzy95
No one's writing him off we're just remarking about how shocking his recent results have been which they are. He's still obviously the favourite for RG but his reign there has to come to an end eventually and given his performances, level of confidence and the fact that he's getting older it seems that day is getting closer. Nadal isn't immune to decline he's human too

Worth a note that Raonic, Nikishori and Dimitrov are not bad on clay and have made waves this season. Though i suspect it would be Fed or Djokovic depending on the draw were Nadal not to win.

The sad thing is Del Potro was in some form, if Nadal does slip then he'd have been in the running.
Reply 542
Original post by Rakas21
Worth a note that Raonic, Nikishori and Dimitrov are not bad on clay and have made waves this season. Though i suspect it would be Fed or Djokovic depending on the draw were Nadal not to win.

The sad thing is Del Potro was in some form, if Nadal does slip then he'd have been in the running.

Yeah such a shame that Del Potro's wrist flared up again, he could've done some serious damage this year given how open it's been and even then he can take anyone when he's at his best.
Reply 543
Original post by lizzy95
Yeah such a shame that Del Potro's wrist flared up again, he could've done some serious damage this year given how open it's been and even then he can take anyone when he's at his best.

It's the other wrist. Which is actually a good thing potentially since the operation in 10 has seen no wrist problems since.
Reply 544
Original post by Rakas21
It's the other wrist. Which is actually a good thing potentially since the operation in 10 has seen no wrist problems since.

Ok yeah that is better, I thought it was a recurring problem. Hopefully then this will be his last serious wrist injury :smile:
Reply 545
Original post by Roger1
Nadal lost again on clay, this time to Almagro. :laugh: I think it's fair to say Nadal's best surface is hard courts now.

THE ATTACK OF THE PIGEONS!
First Stanimal Nadal was 28-0 in sets:eek:
Then the Dog who has never even broken Nadal :eek:
Ferrer who hasn't beaten Nadal since 10 years on clay until now.
And one of the biggest headcases around Almagro who Rafa was 10-0 finally all attacking Back!:frown:

Only Maestro hasn't attacked back yet!:wink:

But Nadal has the greatest pigeons by far!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 546
Original post by ubi1
And one of the biggest headcases around Almagro who Rafa was 10-0 finally all attacking Back!:frown:

The Australian Open loss has damaged his confidence - I think after the French Open he should take a break and come back fully recharged

Lol - Maestro isn't a "pigeon" - he has multiple victories over the Bull :wink: (despite the multiple losses)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 547
Original post by Krish4791
The Australian Open loss has damaged his confidence - I think after the French Open he should take a break and come back fully recharged

Lol - Maestro isn't a "pigeon" - he has multiple victories over the Bull :wink:

9-2 in slams too much to not be called a pigeon and last he beat the bull was 7 years ago, but I have to give you this that he's not an ordinary pigeon but the greatest pigeon and player :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Alright lets do a quick snapshot of what the hell is happening to the "Big 4"

Nadal- Loses in his 2 staple tournament where he has dominated for so long, made worse by the fact that it was against 2 players(Ferrer,Almagro) who he had completely lop sided head 2 heads. The thing which pushes the knife a bit deeper, in both matches he seemed to be inherently in control especially when he broke Almagro in the final set. But then he lost both in a whirlwhind- got broken back by Almagro in the 3rd set to love.

Djokovic- First of all he has not been right all year, he playyed some decent tennis in the hardcourt double but even then his backhand looked fragile. Then lost to Federer twice, and even though Federer is a bad match up for Djokovic and he was injured the second time the losses still tell a tale of a player who really is mentally-and now physically not there- which is worrying. He says that the plan for the next few tournaments is the same and the wrist injury won't affect that but wrists are porblematic injuries because once they start they never go away. I think this will reoccur at some point probably towards the North American hard swing and Djokovic will lose a ton of ranking points.

Federer: The best of the Big 4 right now. H seems relaxed confident and sharp with his game working quite well-although his loss to Stan the Man where he went away in the 3rd set is a symptom of an ongoing problem where he seems to run out of mental steam as a match wears on. But he is my favourite for Wimbledon.

Murray: AS A MURRAY FAN WTF IS GOING ON. Hi coach leaves him because he has better things to do, he has been back since the start of the season and his results don't seem to be improving. He has in a lot of ways reverted back to the mental fraility of old and seems to be becoming less aggressive. Also inncer confidence seems to be dashed with him losing to players much lower ranked than him. As for his ranking don't understand why he is not doing anything about it. Like it seems he does not realise that if he is out of the top 8 he has virtually no chance of winning a GS as his draws will be HELL. And like he could have entered Monte carlo and won lots of points but he chose not to. It's baffling how unmotivated it seems.

So yh the Big 4 seem to be fractured and broken.. Really do feel this season-with all of them getting older- is the beginning of the end of their domincance
Original post by lizzy95
No one's writing him off we're just remarking about how shocking his recent results have been which they are. He's still obviously the favourite for RG but his reign there has to come to an end eventually and given his performances, level of confidence and the fact that he's getting older it seems that day is getting closer. Nadal isn't immune to decline he's human too

Original post by Rakas21
I was actually joking when i said he should retire. It's a joke based on the people who said Fed should retire in 11.. he then won 6 of the next 8 tournaments and took back the number 1 spot.

Nadal will be at the top of the game until the day he retires.. because it'll be injury that forces his retirement (though a small part of me suspects he may retire a year after Federer - his career will always be defined by that rivalry and we know it means a lot to him).

Haha, fair points from both of you. I totally agree that Nadal is under pressure and I feel that The French is far more open this year. Here's hoping that my man Gasquet finally ignores his home crowd and produces one of the shock runs of all time!
Reply 550
Original post by ubi1

Nice to see you again.
Original post by Rakas21

Or potentially a bad thing as it means he has two weak wrists that have a vulnerability.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 552
Original post by Raiden10
Or potentially a bad thing as it means he has two weak wrists that have a vulnerability.

He's been better since 12 than he was before the injury so i don't think it's that vulnerable.
Reply 553
Typical - Almagro records the biggest win of his career and then loses convincingly in the next round. I hope Nishikori can win the final tomorrow.
Reply 554
Original post by Krish4791
Typical - Almagro records the biggest win of his career and then loses convincingly in the next round. I hope Nishikori can win the final tomorrow.

Who would have imagined a Nishikori v Giraldo final? It's good to see Kei back to winning matches after his good start to the year and excellent victory vs Federer in Miami.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 555
Original post by smallguy
Who would have imagined a Nishikori v Giraldo final? It's good to see Kei back to winning matches after his good start to the year and excellent victory vs Federer in Miami.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nikishori's mainly a surprise because he slips through quietly. He was as high as number 11 last year and is capable of R4/QF at GS events. He has a lovely playing style as well, much like Hewitt though nature has screwed him over (too small, not that powerful).
Reply 556
Original post by smallguy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, he's played at a consistently high level this year. We can slowly see the shackles of the Top guys loosening as players like Dimitrov and Nishikori start to reach SFs & Finals of tournaments (and occasionally pick up titles). I also think Wawrinka has been the main revelation/driving force behind this movement, so it will be interesting to see how the rest of the year unfolds.
Reply 557
Aye. Just a shame that Tomic does not have the mentality, he'd have probably been ahead of the young pack (despite being youngest) given his ability displayed at Wimbledon.

Still, Raonic should be poised for a good season. Even got his first win over Nadal.
Reply 558
Original post by Rakas21

Still, Raonic should be poised for a good season. Even got his first win over Nadal.

Raonic is yet to beat Nadal.
Reply 559
Dimitrov will probably win his third title tomorrow. The future looks bright for him.

Quick Reply

Latest