Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently attended a networking event at a City law firm and got on really well with one of the trainees, in fact after to speaking to them it has made me want to apply for a training contract and vacation scheme there. Do you think it's worth emailing them to say it was nice meeting etc and that they really helped my decision? Or is it just an annoyance when people email? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horse273)
    That would make sense - I've only done two apps so I'm in the 'leave most apps till Christmas' camp too :rolleyes:
    In the process of drafting my cover letter, so I'll be in the waiting game soon too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cp778)
    I recently attended a networking event at a City law firm and got on really well with one of the trainees, in fact after to speaking to them it has made me want to apply for a training contract and vacation scheme there. Do you think it's worth emailing them to say it was nice meeting etc and that they really helped my decision? Or is it just an annoyance when people email? Thanks
    It's definitely worth emailing them as a nice gesture, you have nothing to lose. But make sure to keep it short and sweet!

ReputationRep:
    Sat the HSF SJT earlier today and just got an invite to the verbal and logical.

Does anybody know if it's possible to do the tests in two sittings?

Fairly confident on the verbal but will need to practice a bit for the logical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legallife)
    It's definitely worth emailing them as a nice gesture, you have nothing to lose. But make sure to keep it short and sweet!
    Thanks for the reply after looking I can't find their email address so I will just have to mention it in my application! Good luck for all your apps

ReputationRep:
    Quite enjoying doing the open-ended cover letter/personal statement type applications over the extensive form-based ones!

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest - where have people got PFOs from to date?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how soon you receive the link to the situational judgment test after submitting the Herbert Smith Freehills application? It's been about 24 hours, I thought it was automatically sent through?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocolestrange)
    Does anyone know how soon you receive the link to the situational judgment test after submitting the Herbert Smith Freehills application? It's been about 24 hours, I thought it was automatically sent through?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Takes 1-2 days

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone taken the Freshfields verbal reasoning test? If so, how'd you find it? Pretty standard? About to send off my application and bracing myself for it...

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone approach the "tell us about a recent news article" question? Do you pick something that you are genuinely interested in that is probably quite obvious or do you try and find something a bit more obscure? I'm of the opinion that I'd rather pick the topic that I'm genuinely interested in as it asks for my opinion and I'm more likely to be able to talk about it on the application form and in interview? But does it go against you if everyone picks the same topic? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    Has anyone taken the Freshfields verbal reasoning test? If so, how'd you find it? Pretty standard? About to send off my application and bracing myself for it...
    Just did it today - pretty standard, although I think I messed up a couple of funny questions and didn't do as well as I could have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    Just did it today - pretty standard, although I think I messed up a couple of funny questions and didn't do as well as I could have.
    Alright cheers! And I'm sure you did fine, I have a funny feeling you said the same thing about the LNAT all those years ago... :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Alright cheers! And I'm sure you did fine, I have a funny feeling you said the same thing about the LNAT all those years ago... :lol:
    Can't believe how long we've been on TSR :beard:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cp778)
    How does everyone approach the "tell us about a recent news article" question? Do you pick something that you are genuinely interested in that is probably quite obvious or do you try and find something a bit more obscure? I'm of the opinion that I'd rather pick the topic that I'm genuinely interested in as it asks for my opinion and I'm more likely to be able to talk about it on the application form and in interview? But does it go against you if everyone picks the same topic? Thanks
    You have to pick something you are interested in. Don't pick something to try and impress the reader or to be quirky. You have to remember if you get through to interview, undoubtedly you will be asked about your reasons for selecting it and providing your own analysis and opinions on the matter.

People pick the same topics mainly because they think it's impressive but they can't really back it up with any real opinion on the matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just did Freshfields verbal reasoning test... feels like I bombed it... :banghead:

Ah well :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Just did Freshfields verbal reasoning test... feels like I bombed it... :banghead:

Ah well :lol:
    I bet you didn't, and never mind, apparently Freshfields still read the application even if the test result is bad :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    I bet you didn't, and never mind, apparently Freshfields still read the application even if the test result is bad :woo:
    Ha thank you for your kind words! Yeah that gives me some hope. The questions I stumbled on were those where you could possibly infer that a certain conclusion was correct, but you couldn't say for sure... found myself selecting "cannot say" quite often

Anyway, on to the next one. Who have you got lined up next?

ReputationRep:
    Jones Day interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrlufc3131)
    Jones Day interview
    Congratulations!

Which scheme are you applying for?

I'm on the 20 July - 31 July one.

When is your interview?

I wouldn't worry about it, the two partners who interviewed me were very friendly.

Let me know how it goes!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.