The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gerald DGrilla
Hi Swifty,

Do you have any Latin or Greek? Are any of your 12 GCSEs in Latin or Greek, A or A*?

Does your school offer A Level in Latin or Greek. If so, why did you not take them.

Are you super-duper at learning new languages?

Apart from your ClasCiv A Level, what else have you done, or do you plan to do, to demonstrate your very strong interest in Classics?

As you will know you can take Classics with no Latin or Greek, but it its hard, and doubly so if you take joint schools.

Certainly not impossible, but you will need to be cracking!

Good luck :smile:

Unfortunatley I was stupid enough in Year 9 to stop doing Latin which I wholly regret so I don't have a GCSE in it. Then one of the Latin teachers left so a course couldn't be put on for A Level so I missed out again.

I realised this is a huge problem so I'm going to a Classics summer school to learn some Latin and read some classical literature and if I am chosen, i'll be doing a Classics related EPQ. Furthermore i'm considering learning Latin over the course of the next year before I start the course as long as the universities i'm applying for say it's a good enough idea or they would just prefer me to start from scratch.

As for languages, I find I prefer translations and grammar above actual verbal communication which is where I struggle most with French, so hopefully it will stand me in good stead to start learning a language such as Latin. I hated French before the end of year 11 and didn't really know how to string a sentence together. I revised really hard for the GCSE exam and ended up 1 mark off an A* and now i'm looking towards getting an A at AS Level, so I feel i've made a huge improvement in my proficiency through sheer dedication.

Hopefully I can get accepted onto a Classics course somewhere because i've put everything on the line for this decision when my family wanted me to do maths or physics. I wouldn't want to fail now.
(edited 8 years ago)
GCSE grades: 11 A*s, 2 A's, 1 B
A-Levels: A A A A A A
Course: Computer Science
College: Balliol
Original post by west1806
Hii! you're the first person I've come across doing exactly the same A Levels as me - languages for the win lol
I'm thinking of doing either english lit on its own or English with Spanish/French but I'm so scared I won't get the grades this year:frown:

YAAAY!! Same to you!! Funnily enough I originally wanted to do English and French before I realised I can't hack English Lit -.- but at least my coursework will help with that. I'm really worried too, but WE'LL GET THERE!
Original post by jeevanr21
I'm doing these A levels too!! (plus economics) I want to do French & Spanish at uni as well. I'm sure you will get the grades!! :smile:

Ah cool, have you considered a college? I know it's not exactly a priority but it's fun to wonder ^-^ which other unis are you interested in? :smile:
Original post by PerlaDeSabiduría
Ah cool, have you considered a college? I know it's not exactly a priority but it's fun to wonder ^-^ which other unis are you interested in? :smile:

I have :wink: I'm not sure exactly but I'd like to go to Jesus maybe! I think Durham, LSE, Warwick - what about you?
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
Thanks guys, all good advice.

I am going to the 2nd July Open Day, which hopefully will lead to a final choice but I agree, they are all good.

I did try to research the teaching staff on the internet but it got a bit confusing, one source said 4 tutors, others said 6 - and then the names were different... I looked at the Oxford website, the colleges' own websites and the prospectuses... quite a lot of variance... very odd. Do the tutors/fellows move around a lot?

Be sure to check out Trinity, it's a beautiful college right in the middle of Oxford - more importantly for Classics, Gail Trimble is a super friendly tutor and really puts you at ease in your interview with her (I believe she always interviews the Literature one, the other interview being Philosophy and Ancient History)!
Reply 546
Original post by buzzfeed23
gcse grades: 9 a*s
AS levels: predicted 4 As probably won't get this though aha
course: med
college: ????

Yay!! another med applicant - I'm thinking maybe Magdalen college
Who on here is from private/ public school - I am, just curious, as one is.
Original post by Rjkooljay
GCSE grades: 11 A*s, 2 A's, 1 B
A-Levels: A A A A A A
Course: Computer Science
College: Balliol

Thats crazy! 6 A-levels?? What do you take?

Anyway hopefully I'll see you there...
I'm doing these A levels too!! (plus economics) I want to do French & Spanish at uni as well. I'm sure you will get the grades!! :smile:

Oh cool! Great to know it's not just me, hope all your exams are going well!! Do you have any idea what colleges you want to apply to?
YAAAY!! Same to you!! Funnily enough I originally wanted to do English and French before I realised I can't hack English Lit -.- but at least my coursework will help with that. I'm really worried too, but WE'LL GET THERE!

Yay :biggrin: Oh god I know, english lit is killing me :eek: but the coursework should definitely drag us up :wink:
Original post by west1806
Oh cool! Great to know it's not just me, hope all your exams are going well!! Do you have any idea what colleges you want to apply to?

I think they're going well, hope it's the same for you! How did you find the Spanish paper today? (if you do Edexcel) and good luck for C2 tomorrow (if you do OCR Maths).

I think I want to apply to Jesus, though also possibly Queens :wink:
I have :wink: I'm not sure exactly but I'd like to go to Jesus maybe! I think Durham, LSE, Warwick - what about you?

Haha^-^ I was thinking Magdalen or maybe St.Hilda's, at this point I've only looked at non-academic benefits ^-^. I think King's, UCL, Southampton and Royal Holloway, in that order, so completely different! I've got C2 tomorrow ahhh
Haha^-^ I was thinking Magdalen or maybe St.Hilda's, at this point I've only looked at non-academic benefits ^-^. I think King's, UCL, Southampton and Royal Holloway, in that order, so completely different! I've got C2 tomorrow ahhh

I went with Jesus because I love the name and plus it seems like a nice college with a good location :wink: omg I completely forgot about UCL! Yes that's definitely one of my choices! I have C2 tomorrow too, are you ready?
I think they're going well, hope it's the same for you! How did you find the Spanish paper today? (if you do Edexcel) and good luck for C2 tomorrow (if you do OCR Maths).

I think I want to apply to Jesus, though also possibly Queens :wink:

Thanks! We do different boards for everything (I do AQA Spanish and Edexcel maths) haha but looks like the exams are on the same days. Spanish was actually pretty good apart from the essay where I messed up the timing massively... And good luck for C2 too!!

How did you choose if you don't mind me asking? Was it after visiting or before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went with Jesus because I love the name and plus it seems like a nice college with a good location :wink: omg I completely forgot about UCL! Yes that's definitely one of my choices! I have C2 tomorrow too, are you ready?

I found C2 fantastically dreadful considering that Mechanics is death so I needed c2 to go really well...aha oh well, how about you? I go to an academy/sixth form btw
if i got AAAB at AS level, do you think it would be worth applying? for medicine. or do i not have a chance?
There is no harm in applying :smile:
I'm at a private school btw for the person asking earlier!!
You don't need exact ums for Oxford, do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending