The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by CD315
First half of application form = personal details.
Followed by a numerical.
If you pass, you do second half of application form, which includes uploading CV & cover letter.

Thanks!

Have they given you dates for when the week will take place in April?
Also what did you put as your expected grade for your degree? I am yet to start university so I am slightly unsure.
This has been touched upon, but are psychometric tests always the first stage of the application, or is it common to write your cover letter, CV, competency questions, et cetera first?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Selym95
This has been touched upon, but are pre-screening tests always the first stage of the application, or is it common to write your cover letter, CV, competency questions, et cetera first?

Most banks don't use pre-screening tests. Usually, you have to go through the hassle of doing the competency questions and then tests.

If you fail the test, then the effort for comp questions was for nothing.

Some banks 'screen' before giving out tests.
Original post by liarpoker
Most banks don't use pre-screening tests. Usually, you have to go through the hassle of doing the competency questions and then tests.

If you fail the test, then the effort for comp questions was for nothing.

Some banks 'screen' before giving out tests.

It is as I feared
Hello Guys, I'm hoping for some help with some questions I have.

I became interested in investment banking when I was doing my A Levels but I thought It was a pipe dream so I didn't follow through with it, and didn't learn much about the industry.
Well I managed to get decent A levels and got into Warwick, which I'm told is a target university. I'll be studying Physics and Business.
I plan on applying to spring week, but I have no relevant work experience or volunteer work. My volunteer work consists of working 2 weeks at a star bucks and doing a bunch of volunteer work with the elderly (back when my parents were pressuring me into studying medicine, haha).
I also don't have any interesting Extra Curriculars since studying took up most of my time at college (I did badly at AS and had to retake at A2).
I'm planning to do have a lot of ECs at Uni, but at that point, wouldn't the applications' deadlines be over?

I just want to know if it's too late to legitimately follow this as this field has always interested me but I never thought I would have a real shot.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aalsaudi10
Hello Guys, I'm hoping for some help with some questions I have.

I became interested in investment banking when I was doing my A Levels but I thought It was a pipe dream so I didn't follow through with it, and didn't learn much about the industry.
Well I managed to get decent A levels and got into Warwick, which I'm told is a target university. I'll be studying Physics and Business.
I plan on applying to spring week, but I have no relevant work experience or volunteer work. My volunteer work consists of working 2 weeks at a star bucks and doing a bunch of volunteer work with the elderly (back when my parents were pressuring me into studying medicine, haha).
I also don't have any interesting Extra Curriculars since studying took up most of my time at college (I did badly at AS and had to retake at A2).
I'm planning to do have a lot of ECs at Uni, but at that point, wouldn't the applications' deadlines be over?

I just want to know if it's too late to legitimately follow this as this field has always interested me but I never thought I would have a real shot.

haha what were you doing volunteering at a starbucks?
Original post by Refrigerator
haha what were you doing volunteering at a starbucks?

Lool it was that whole work experience in year 10 thing. Just shows how inexperienced I actually am.
I know that stuff like work experience and extracurriculars on your application obviously have to be recent, but how long ago does "recent" mean?

I.e. The only work experience I have is 2 weeks at the accountancy firm BDO from summer 2011. I take it this is too long ago?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you fill in the application forms without sending them off? So that I may practice for the tests and do them one after another?

The application seems like they would take a while so I'd rather get them out of the way before starting the tests.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Can you fill in the application forms without sending them off? So that I may practice for the tests and do them one after another?

Yes. Smartest approach there is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Yes. Smartest approach there is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there a way to save them without submitting? I don't want to spend time doing the applications before finding out I'll just have to redo them again, as you can't save them.
Is there a way to save them without submitting? I don't want to spend time doing the applications before finding out I'll just have to redo them again, as you can't save them.

Most of them will just require you to log out to save them and then when you log back into your account they will be there.

They save automatically in pretty much every case. I can't think of any exceptions
The amount of times now I've seen banking events that look good to apply to, and then noticed the diversity quotas you have to meet to be eligible for entry, ughhhhh
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
The amount of times now I've seen banking events that look good to apply to, and then noticed the diversity quotas you have to meet to be eligible for entry, ughhhhh

Hahahaha where are you finding these banking events?
Original post by CD315
First half of application form = personal details.
Followed by a numerical.
If you pass, you do second half of application form, which includes uploading CV & cover letter.

What is 'numerical' like?

Can you give me a 'sample' numerical question?
Guys, does anyone a list of banks that recruit on a "rolling basis" and those that do now? it'd be a huge help, thanks!
What's the Nomura process like?
I do not want to seem like a stupid chickne but.. I am going to buy the Kenexa training tests.. and I don't know which one! Do banks ask you only fro numerical reasoning tests or also verbals or others?

And what about the Q test? Which one did you choose to train for you apps?
Reply 559
Original post by ItalianFinance
I do not want to seem like a stupid chickne but.. I am going to buy the Kenexa training tests.. and I don't know which one! Do banks ask you only fro numerical reasoning tests or also verbals or others?

And what about the Q test? Which one did you choose to train for you apps?

Buy the numerical. Most of the time it's only that, although in some cases verbal and/or logical are also included.

For Talent Q, it's the Elements one -> again, I'd recommend buying only the numerical one.

Latest

Trending

Trending