The Student Room Group

According to the people on this forum, for a guy to just get an average girl..

Scroll to see replies

I will literally take anyone who makes me laugh idgaf about looks because i got none of my own
Just came back from the gym, showered and did some reading.

Pleasantly surprised to see actual civilized conversation past few posts. Good to see some rationality here in the past few pages.

The truth is that it seems the average man (especially if he is ethnic) just needs to jump through numerous hoops.

The truth is that someone can use that time to something more productive. I mean like make some more money, do something you actually enjoy. Do I like being an extrovert, trying to entertain girls and try to sell myself to anyone? Not at all. I'm naturally reserved, introverted and prefer to spend time with myself or a small group of close people.

The hoops it seems you have to jump through doesn't sound fun, just the end reward sounds fun (the sex or relationship). I mean come on, this **** shouldn't be so complicated and long winded (well it isn't for good looking guys).*

I'm not someone who gives up easily, in fact I've had to work my socks off to get where I am (used to be fat, now ripped. Crap GCSE's, graduated from top 5 uni etc) and I usually like it when my back is up against the wall and all the odds are against are against me. Most of all I like proving people wrong. Whenever I undertake a monumental change to my life I always think would my male inspirations also partake in what the end results of what I want to achieve is in. Would Rafael Nasal take time off his strict regimen to chase girls? Would Julius Caesar (pre dictator) put off his plans to conquer Gaul to chase girls?

Obviously I cannot make the same comparisons as I have nowhere near the same responsibilities but it's just something I like to think of about how great men would react or tackle problems which I am facing.

Guess I have to accept that I'll have to change my lifestyle considerably to get girls or just suck it up and accept that I'll get nothing. I guess this is where my bitterness for the top looking guys and girls comes in; they don't need to do anything.

I just signed up for my local tennis club, haven't played since uni finished. Perhaps it will also help me get out of this mental rut I've been in for two months.
Original post by Seb_back2back
True, there's this widespread perception about Asians that's synonymous with boredom and poor English in general. Hollywood generally portrays Asians as the nerds and geeks who try way too hard to be cool and always end up failing miserably.

Lol you are not going to Ohio in the USA , you'll be fine. I actually know quite a few American Asians who do well with all races of women even in the USA but they are good looking and live in more pleasant states like California so , yeah, looks. Pulls mad tail of all races. Even in a dump like the USA lol. It's like playing the game on hard mode over there and still coming good.

Like this guy: http://squattincassanova.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2013-07-10T18:11:00-07:00&max-results=50&start=36&by-date=false
Have no clue why that last post was made anonymously Lol
I get what you're saying lol but that's like the 1% of Asian guys. The average Asian guy doesn't have a cool factor that high.

In fact, I'm great friends with the Indians in my college, mainly because they're sociable, friendly and easy to communicate with. The Asians are the exact opposite.

well when it comes to asian guys thats who most people think about it.
Original post by fat_hobbit
did you try internet dating and all of that stuff?

It sounds like you were not interacting with enough guys, rather than being ugly.

No. This was all ~10 years ago now, internet dating was nowhere near as popular back then, and as a uni student you'd hope you didn't need it!

I think it was a combination of both factors, and not having confidence in myself. I was interacting with guys but hadn't the slightest clue how to flirt or show interest. It took time and a few false starts before I had my first serious relationship, and then a few years later I met my husband. All worked out in the end!
It'd be good if this thread turns into something positive; self improvement and the realization of life goals, guys coming together to help each other and give useful tips not only for girls but for stuff across a wide spectrum.
Nope, I'm from Malaysia. Grew up in Singapore and Australia though.

I agree with Tom_Ford. Hating on your own won't get you anywhere - even if you think you haven't got 'slitty' eyes or whatever, you will still be regarded as Asian. Even if you and your parents were born here you would never be regarded as one of them because of the way you look. You will be seen as Asian always. Glorifying/worshipping whatever you want to call it is weak. Weakness is not attractive. And you will wonder why these British girls won't look your way...?
When I think asian guys to be honest, I think of Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan - who are all so ****ing cool.

Compare that to indian guys, who have we got?

Citizen Khan and that bloke from East is East?

:hahaha:

Not gonna lie, I feel bad for you guys.
Another thing I've picked up on is to stop being so passive and submissive. In real life I'm far too high inhibition and let people walk over me and use me despite my physical size. I'm also far too humble . I'm guessing I need to be a little arrogant and a little narcissistic. These are usually the traits associated with successful people.
Original post by Helenia
No. This was all ~10 years ago now, internet dating was nowhere near as popular back then, and as a uni student you'd hope you didn't need it!

I think it was a combination of both factors, and not having confidence in myself. I was interacting with guys but hadn't the slightest clue how to flirt or show interest. It took time and a few false starts before I had my first serious relationship, and then a few years later I met my husband. All worked out in the end!

What were your few false starts, can you elaborate on that?
Original post by Anonymous
Just came back from the gym, showered and did some reading.

Pleasantly surprised to see actual civilized conversation past few posts. Good to see some rationality here in the past few pages.

The truth is that it seems the average man (especially if he is ethnic) just needs to jump through numerous hoops.

The truth is that someone can use that time to something more productive. I mean like make some more money, do something you actually enjoy. Do I like being an extrovert, trying to entertain girls and try to sell myself to anyone? Not at all. I'm naturally reserved, introverted and prefer to spend time with myself or a small group of close people.

The hoops it seems you have to jump through doesn't sound fun, just the end reward sounds fun (the sex or relationship). I mean come on, this **** shouldn't be so complicated and long winded (well it isn't for good looking guys).*

I'm not someone who gives up easily, in fact I've had to work my socks off to get where I am (used to be fat, now ripped. Crap GCSE's, graduated from top 5 uni etc) and I usually like it when my back is up against the wall and all the odds are against are against me. Most of all I like proving people wrong. Whenever I undertake a monumental change to my life I always think would my male inspirations also partake in what the end results of what I want to achieve is in. Would Rafael Nasal take time off his strict regimen to chase girls? Would Julius Caesar (pre dictator) put off his plans to conquer Gaul to chase girls?

Obviously I cannot make the same comparisons as I have nowhere near the same responsibilities but it's just something I like to think of about how great men would react or tackle problems which I am facing.

Guess I have to accept that I'll have to change my lifestyle considerably to get girls or just suck it up and accept that I'll get nothing. I guess this is where my bitterness for the top looking guys and girls comes in; they don't need to do anything.

I just signed up for my local tennis club, haven't played since uni finished. Perhaps it will also help me get out of this mental rut I've been in for two months.

Good to see you've re-assessed everything. Maybe having a rant is what you needed.

This is the one thing you can't 'succeed' at, maybe that's just as annoying as not being able to get the sex/relationship you crave. Unlike a body makeover or uni grades, you have limited control when it comes to getting someone else to like you. It's frustrating some people having it 'easy' but they probably have other parts of their lives that aren't so great.

Don't be defeatist. Your time will come. I've yet to meet a decent guy but it really doesn't bother me as it's not high priority. There are more important things in life and when you're enjoying it, you're more likely to attract someone than if you're negative and isolate yourself.
Original post by Nomes89
I agree with Tom_Ford. Hating on your own won't get you anywhere - even if you think you haven't got 'slitty' eyes or whatever, you will still be regarded as Asian. Even if you and your parents were born here you would never be regarded as one of them because of the way you look. You will be seen as Asian always. Glorifying/worshipping whatever you want to call it is weak. Weakness is not attractive. And you will wonder why these British girls won't look your way...?

I agree, I've heard these comments many, many times before. I just really don't appreciate Asian culture or asian people in general. I've always been exposed to and subsequently adopted this idea that Asian (or more specifically, Chinese) culture is bad and "inferior". I really don't think I'm glorifying another culture, it's just that I can't appreciate my own. Self-hating, I know, but that's just who I am.

In Malaysia, Chinese people who have the same mentality as I do are commonly referred to as 'bananas', because we are said to be yellow on the outside but white inside. The usage of the term dates back to the past when people who spoke fluent English had better education, jobs, were more wealthy etc.
I agree, I've heard these comments many, many times before. I just really don't appreciate Asian culture or asian people in general. I've always been exposed to and subsequently adopted this idea that Asian (or more specifically, Chinese) culture is bad and "inferior". I really don't think I'm glorifying another culture, it's just that I can't appreciate my own. Self-hating, I know, but that's just who I am.

In Malaysia, Chinese people who have the same mentality as I do are commonly referred to as 'bananas', because we are said to be yellow on the outside but white inside. The usage of the term dates back to the past when people who spoke fluent English had better education, jobs, were more wealthy etc.

Not surprised you are from Malaysia. They are very racist against Chinese people. I mean, you drew pigs faces on the luggage of a plane of Chinese tourists a few years back. Not to mention the systematic discrimination against all Chinese and the lenient policies towards ethnic Malays. It's a decadent country in terms of it's treatment of Chinese people. Poor boy, brainwashed to look down on his own.

I knew of a Vietnamese boy like you at university. He was always seen as a joke, his white friends regularly joked about the war in Vietnam and he continued to suck up to them. He also sucked up a lot to a French guy and said he was part of an amazing culture etc. This French guy happened to be a good friend of mine and told me in private that the Viet guy's worship of white people was weird. He has been to Vietnam and the vast vast majority of the people there were the same. Clearly a white supremacist, but Vietnamese. So, that was a bit weird. You people just love white people for some reason, both men and women. Such a slave mentality.
Original post by Anonymous
Would Rafael Nasal take time off his strict regimen to chase girls?

Who?

This some guy down the pub?
Original post by andrew2209
Basically, if you're a 3-6 out of 10, it's going to be difficult?

Difficult, yes, but not impossible. I'd rate myself as a 5 or 6 out of ten - due to my baby face - but I'm by no means ignored by girls when I go out.

You've just got to be more confident and outgoing than those whom are 7s or 8s but if you spin it right you'll be on the same playing field as them.
Who?

This some guy down the pub?

Do you think family cost men lays, if you **** parents and relatives. Bare in mind a girl is effectively or might be part of your family.

Yeah I know it's hard if it's a cultural thing. Many ethnic people have the same struggle with wanting to fit in and dismissing their culture. There is good and bad in every culture. It's funny because people who travel east Asia tend to rave about some aspects of the culture because here in Britain there are things which aren't great either.
Original post by SloaneRanger
Do you think family cost men lays, if you **** parents and relatives. Bare in mind a girl is effectively or might be part of your family.

you what?
you what?

Do you think your family or relatives determine whether or not a girl wants to date you or not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending