I still can't believe Balotelli is about to sign for us... :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    I want him to write a book

ReputationRep:
    Press conference on LFC TV coming up.

Somebody who has subscription please sort me out haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    No, you can see that Rodgers is targeting attacking players who are versatile. Bony does not fit that and he could only play number 9 - he's not better than Sturridge so we shouldn't be buying him.
    uhm pretty sure Bony made his name as a goal-scoring number ten...

ReputationRep:
    very impressed with this transfer window - we've made some great signings to add to our depth.
    obviously we might not have as much overall quality as the bigger teams, but i'm less concerned about the extra european games affecting the general fatigue of our players because we have alternates of a decent quality to replace them if needed.

do you think that's it then for us this window, or is there anywhere else we good do with an extra player (keeper?)

ReputationRep:
    Annoyingly, Liverpool have not done badly with £16m for Balotelli.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Annoyingly, Liverpool have not done badly with £16m for Balotelli.
    Exceptional bit of business - well worth the punt at that price.

ReputationRep:
    I think Rodgers has to go for a midfield 3 on Monday, preferably it would be Gerrard, Henderson and Allen. Arsenal had 3 in the middle in the community shield and City couldn't handle it. Henderson and Allen provide so much running and will not give Toure or Fernand(inh)o any space and Gerrard can cover the space behind them for when Aguero/Jovetic drop off and when Silva drifts centrally. That would allow Liverpool to dominate the midfield and force City to back off a bit and attempt to work up the pitch slowly.
    Also I would play Manquillo and Moreno at full back because they are both capable of defending where Johnson is not and I would tell them both to not even think about attacking. A draw would be a good result and the attacking players (Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho/Markovic) are perfectly capable of getting a goal without any support from full backs. Moreno is very capable getting forwards but the Etihad is not the place for him to do that, all he has to do is stay goalside of his man which will probably be Nasri (or Navas) and then the left hand side will not be exposed.
    With a solid back 4 that don't wander forwards and a unit of 3 in the middle, I can't see Liverpool losing this game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    very impressed with this transfer window - we've made some great signings to add to our depth.
    obviously we might not have as much overall quality as the bigger teams, but i'm less concerned about the extra european games affecting the general fatigue of our players because we have alternates of a decent quality to replace them if needed.

do you think that's it then for us this window, or is there anywhere else we good do with an extra player (keeper?)
    I guess we may see another backup GK or we may see Borini leave and another striker come in?

ReputationRep:
    Squad sheet picks itself really.

Balotelli
    Balotelli Balotelli Balotelli Balotelli
    Balotelli Balotelli Balotelli Balotelli
    Balotelli Balotelli

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I guess we may see another backup GK or we may see Borini leave and another striker come in?
    a backup GK would cost barely any money, you're looking at 3-5m max i would assume
    i'm fine with keeping him and having sturridge, balotelli, borini, lambert as our 4 strikers
    although if we sell him i don't want us skimping out and getting eto'o on a free
    tbh if we sold borini for a decent amount, it would be nice to bring in bony, however i'm not sure if he'd be content in being a 3rd striker.

(Original post by Alex Doran)
    With a solid back 4 that don't wander forwards and a unit of 3 in the middle, I can't see Liverpool losing this game.
    it isn't as simple as that.
    let's not forget we're facing city at the etihad.

i agree that it should be a close game, and we certain have the ability to put up a fight or even win, but i would be very happy with a point.
    i'm not concerned about us being unable to score against city - we don't have suarez but we still have the ability to get in behind the city defence.

i think a great deal will hinge on whether rodgers has the nuts to play manquillo over johnson who is the obvious weak link in our side.
    this will be moreno's debut game too - on paper we have a good quality defence, but it all depends if our 3 new signings can hold city's monstrously fluid attack.

ReputationRep:
    If we can contain Silva, we should be okay.

ReputationRep:
    it isn't as simple as that.
    let's not forget we're facing city at the etihad.

i agree that it should be a close game, and we certain have the ability to put up a fight or even win, but i would be very happy with a point.
    i'm not concerned about us being unable to score against city - we don't have suarez but we still have the ability to get in behind the city defence.

i think a great deal will hinge on whether rodgers has the nuts to play manquillo over johnson who is the obvious weak link in our side.
    this will be moreno's debut game too - on paper we have a good quality defence, but it all depends if our 3 new signings can hold city's monstrously fluid attack.
    When I said solid I meant more in terms of shape and organisation that in ability. I think it is very simple to keep a solid shape throughout the game, Rodgers just needs to make it clear to the full backs (hopefully Moreno and Manquillo) that this is not a game in which they can attack. If they sit back and stay goalside of wide players (presumably Silva and Nasri/Navas) and Rodgers goes with 3 centre mids then I don't see where the goals will come from for City past a moment of magic from Aguero or Silva or a defensive error.
    I can't see City winning because I don't think they will score more than 1 and I think with the attackers Liverpool have, and with Sturridge and Sterling focused on exposing an unfit and crap Demichelis and at least 1 unfit and overly attacking fullback then Liverpool have goals in them. Not even Kompany can cover for a returning Zabaleta and 2 crap defenders all by himself.

ReputationRep:
    When I said solid I meant more in terms of shape and organisation that in ability. I think it is very simple to keep a solid shape throughout the game, Rodgers just needs to make it clear to the full backs (hopefully Moreno and Manquillo) that this is not a game in which they can attack. If they sit back and stay goalside of wide players (presumably Silva and Nasri/Navas) and Rodgers goes with 3 centre mids then I don't see where the goals will come from for City past a moment of magic from Aguero or Silva or a defensive error.
    I can't see City winning because I don't think they will score more than 1 and I think with the attackers Liverpool have, and with Sturridge and Sterling focused on exposing an unfit and crap Demichelis and at least 1 unfit and overly attacking fullback then Liverpool have goals in them. Not even Kompany can cover for a returning Zabaleta and 2 crap defenders all by himself.
    yeah i agree; if we get tactics right, we'll be fine
    but against city sometimes you can play excellently and still lose...

precisely - i'm not worried about us scoring
    i'm worried about them scoring

like i said, a loss would be disappointing but i wouldn't normally expect anything from the etihad.
    a draw would be great - it isn't just that we get a point, it's that city only get one too
    a win would be crazy - would either give us massive confidence in the next game for a spurs thrashing or massive complacency for a cheap loss to them.

ReputationRep:

like i said, a loss would be disappointing but i wouldn't normally expect anything from the emirates.
    a draw would be great - it isn't just that we get a point, it's that city only get one too
    a win would be crazy - would either give us massive confidence in the next game for a spurs thrashing or massive complacency for a cheap loss to them.
    I don't think you know where City play. That is at least the 2nd time I have seen you do that.

ReputationRep:

like i said, a loss would be disappointing but i wouldn't normally expect anything from the emirates.
    why would a win be crazy? We can beat any team on our day

ReputationRep:
    Goal.com reports that Samuel Eto'o is undergoing a medical for us today. Out of the fookin blue. Not that reliable but they have a massive following, I wouldn't think they'd say something like that unless they were pretty ****ing sure of it. They broke the Bony interest way before anyone else and also did say that we were priced out of a move.

A few days ago we were looking at Sturridge, Lambert, Borini

Now it's Sturridge, Balotelli, Eto'o, Lambert. That's an excellent set of strikers.

Over the ****ing moon with this.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you know where City play. That is at least the 2nd time I have seen you do that.
    And lol, the other day you said that Gerrard has occasionally played at CB for Liverpool. Care to name some of these occasions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yesss I diddd)
    And lol, the other day you said that Gerrard has occasionally played at CB for Liverpool. Care to name some of these occasions?
    There have been some individual games during the Carragher and Hyypia era that he has, I am not saying it has been a regular thing. It has probably only been 2 or 3 times but it has happened. I can't remember specific games because it was years ago and not a particularly memorable event. It was probably only when one got sent off or injured with no decent subs so he moved back, I don't remember the exact details. I am not even a Liverpool fan.

ReputationRep:
    There have been some individual games during the Carragher and Hyypia era that he has, I am not saying it has been a regular thing. It has probably only been 2 or 3 times but it has happened. I can't remember specific games because it was years ago and not a particularly memorable event. It was probably only when one got sent off or injured with no decent subs so he moved back, I don't remember the exact details. I am not even a Liverpool fan.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.