Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahaliciah_x)
    Me too Hun! It's my first one too so I'm not sure what to expect. Good luck! Xxx
    It's my first interview too! I'll probably see you there! Good luck to you too! Xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DemiLx)
    It's my first interview too! I'll probably see you there! Good luck to you too! Xxx
    Yeah you most probably will! thank you! Xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatLadyEmma)
    I've been reading through this thread and many others regarding interviews and general applications for midwifery, and I'm a little confused.

I see quite a few people asking what the process is like for the university they applied to, what questions they will be asked and basically what to do.

I apologise if I offend anybody by asking this, I don't mean to, I'm just confused,

Why don't you already know? Why have you not researched it? Why do you expect others to tell you what you should already know?

Edinburgh Napier is my dream university, I've been to three different open days/drop in sessions for it, I've kept in contact with lecturers, I know the interview process for it like the back of my hand and I have read up on every other university and what will be expected of me. I cant go to an open day in London to know about my interview as I live in Scotland, so instead I researched it, I familiarised myself with the general process and made sure I knew what was expected of me in advance because the interview is so important.

Midwifery is one of the most, if not the most difficult course to get into. 1000+ applicants apply for 30-50 spaces and the interview, if your lucky enough to be invited, is the most important part and is the difference between you getting an offer and getting rejected. So it's confusing to me, why someone wouldn't then research what would be expected of them or even bother to understand the basic requirements.

Again, I apologise if I offend anyone, I'm just confused.

For someone like me who's researched and practiced interviews for four months now, to see a fellow applicant not even know the basic requirements for their interview two weeks before its happening its just really crazy to me. Every university offers a maths/English test, group interview then individual interview as required by the NMC, to not even make yourself aware of that is just confusing to me.

I know I must sound really horrible saying all that but I promise I'm a nice person. I wish you all the best of luck x
    As someone who is very new to the process of interviewing and questions asked for Midwifery I was pretty annoyed at your judgements on here. This forum has been very helpful in showing me what I need to do to prepare for the interview process, if I am invited. I find your rant really unnecessary. It isn't helping someone on here and it isn't providing useful advice so in all honesty I don't feel like you needed to even write it. You might be wonderfully organised and perfect but not everyone is and I personally welcome the questions on here myself as they might highlight something I have failed to prepare myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aerith)
    As someone who is very new to the process of interviewing and questions asked for Midwifery I was pretty annoyed at your judgements on here. This forum has been very helpful in showing me what I need to do to prepare for the interview process, if I am invited. I find your rant really unnecessary. It isn't helping someone on here and it isn't providing useful advice so in all honesty I don't feel like you needed to even write it. You might be wonderfully organised and perfect but not everyone is and I personally welcome the questions on here myself as they might highlight something I have failed to prepare myself.
    Couldn't agree more, it was completely unnecessary. Let's hope this person is a bit more understanding and less judgmental in their role as a midwife. You can do as much prep as possible but that rant has really gone against all the attributes a midwife needs, and that's most important

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone attending a interview at edgehill midwifery 19th of feb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC1996)
    Couldn't agree more, it was completely unnecessary. Let's hope this person is a bit more understanding and less judgmental in their role as a midwife. You can do as much prep as possible but that rant has really gone against all the attributes a midwife needs, and that's most important
    Took the words right from my mouth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuthL)
    I haven't come across anyone else from the interview day, I know its driving me insane! Do you feel confident?x
    I was at Chester 11th December and havent heard anything x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatLadyEmma)
    I've been reading through this thread and many others regarding interviews and general applications for midwifery, and I'm a little confused.

I see quite a few people asking what the process is like for the university they applied to, what questions they will be asked and basically what to do.

I apologise if I offend anybody by asking this, I don't mean to, I'm just confused,

Why don't you already know? Why have you not researched it? Why do you expect others to tell you what you should already know?

Edinburgh Napier is my dream university, I've been to three different open days/drop in sessions for it, I've kept in contact with lecturers, I know the interview process for it like the back of my hand and I have read up on every other university and what will be expected of me. I cant go to an open day in London to know about my interview as I live in Scotland, so instead I researched it, I familiarised myself with the general process and made sure I knew what was expected of me in advance because the interview is so important.

Midwifery is one of the most, if not the most difficult course to get into. 1000+ applicants apply for 30-50 spaces and the interview, if your lucky enough to be invited, is the most important part and is the difference between you getting an offer and getting rejected. So it's confusing to me, why someone wouldn't then research what would be expected of them or even bother to understand the basic requirements.

Again, I apologise if I offend anyone, I'm just confused.

For someone like me who's researched and practiced interviews for four months now, to see a fellow applicant not even know the basic requirements for their interview two weeks before its happening its just really crazy to me. Every university offers a maths/English test, group interview then individual interview as required by the NMC, to not even make yourself aware of that is just confusing to me.

I know I must sound really horrible saying all that but I promise I'm a nice person. I wish you all the best of luck x
    Hi, I believe the way you have addressed this issue could have been slightly more understanding to others as it came across a little bit judgemental.

If you have done lots of research then perhaps you are looking at incorrect sources because an English/maths test then group then individual is not an NMC requirement in the slightest. I have 5/5 interviews and I already have an offer so I can speak from experience that this not an NMC requirement.
    My universities:
    2 unis- NO tests then group+individual
    1 uni- maths (no English) then MMI (no group or individual)
    1 uni- both maths+English plus individual (no group)
    1 uni- maths test (no English) then group interview (no individual)

I have attended these interviews so I can first hand confirm that what you have stated is incorrect despite it may being correct for your chosen universities. I hope that my information has been helpful to your research and you now have a more knowledgable understanding of the process which is what this forum is for.

Best of luck with your interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicolem_123)
    Is anyone attending a interview at edgehill midwifery 19th of feb?
    Got one on the 26th - do you have your essay prepared??!! Would love to know how you get on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldfish71)
    Got one on the 26th - do you have your essay prepared??!! Would love to know how you get on
    The 26th of this month or next? no not yet! i am hoping to start in next week have you done yours? I hope yours goes well!

ReputationRep:
    isnt it crazy to think that in the next few months we could all be on a new thread for successful applicants beginning in 2016 :0

ReputationRep:
    The 26th of this month or next? no not yet! i am hoping to start in next week have you done yours? I hope yours goes well!
    February. Got into a state of panic when I saw the requirement for the essay but i think it may be for the uni to check your writing style is the same as your personal statement? If that makes sense! Do you have any other interviews??

ReputationRep:
    February. Got into a state of panic when I saw the requirement for the essay but i think it may be for the uni to check your writing style is the same as your personal statement? If that makes sense! Do you have any other interviews??
    Yeah I think so! I wouldn't worry too much about it, I will let you know how mine was before you have yours Nope I'm still waiting to here from my other choices, have you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think so! I wouldn't worry too much about it, I will let you know how mine was before you have yours Nope I'm still waiting to here from my other choices, have you?
    Heard from Salford and that interview is this Tuesday, so Ill let you know how it goes, interview questions etc. Never done so much research in all my life.

ReputationRep:
    Heard from Salford and that interview is this Tuesday, so Ill let you know how it goes, interview questions etc. Never done so much research in all my life.
    Good luck!! Im sure you will do great 😊 and I know hahah that's what im going to be like im so nervous 😂

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious, but my attendance looks bad from college, purely because i get in late as I live extremely far and haven't turned up to form time, but I go to all of my lessons, which can be seen on the sheet. Anyways, DMU want to see the attendance sheet, could this affect my application really badly? Is it something worth mentioning throughout the interview process? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessOfChina)
    I'm just curious, but my attendance looks bad from college, purely because i get in late as I live extremely far and haven't turned up to form time, but I go to all of my lessons, which can be seen on the sheet. Anyways, DMU want to see the attendance sheet, could this affect my application really badly? Is it something worth mentioning throughout the interview process? x
    They might ask you about it because you need to complete a certain amount of hours in training to qualify. If you miss shifts, you need to make up for it elsewhere and this is problematic for mentors, lecturers and your placement hospital. So id just prepare an answer to any questions you might get about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC1996)
    They might ask you about it because you need to complete a certain amount of hours in training to qualify. If you miss shifts, you need to make up for it elsewhere and this is problematic for mentors, lecturers and your placement hospital. So id just prepare an answer to any questions you might get about it.
    Thank you so much! Of course at university level I wouldn't be missing shifts, lectures etc. I wasn't really aware that attendance from college is shared with universities. I understand that was very naive and irresponsible of me. I guess I'm going to have to really showcase I am worthy of a place. Thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    PrincessOfChina I'm glad you asked.

I have great attendance at school, but like you I'm literally late every single day. It's only by about a minute or two past the bell, but the universities wont know that.

Do they all get a copy of your attendance? I've got four interviews so far so I would assume that if they did then it hasn't made much of a difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessOfChina)
    That's my problem, my sixth form is strange, if you're late a number of times, they start changing it to 'you're not here' it's extremely frustrating. Well DMU has requested for a copy of my attendance, that I will need to bring with me on wednesday for the test and interview day. I really would rather they ask me directly about it, then I can explain myself. Just nervous about it now good luck and congratulations on your interviews xxxx
    let us know how you get on, maybe In your interview you can say that your attendance was due to being unorganised, however now you feel you have improved your organisation skills and would be fully committed to punctual attendance at the uni because you have wanted to be a midwife for so long that you would not be late to anything regarding it.

thanks, I'm not looking forward to the travelling but hope it goes well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.