Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    anyone got a link to unit 5 practise questions? (that aren't in textbook)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpie21)
    Yep chemistry on Monday, psychology on Tuesday and then this on Wednesday!
    I've condensed my notes for action potential and all that & I'm okay with transcription/translation.
    Today I'm planning on getting muscle contraction done because our teacher didn't go through it with us any key point on that? I hate the way the textbook explain it
    I hate the way the textbook explains everything! We need to learn the structure of a muscle so the A-band, I-band, Z line, H zone and sarcomere. Then the muscle filaments myosin and actin - myosin is thick and actin which is thin. They are arranged to form a sarcomere.

During contraction:-
    - Z lines move closer together (sarcomere shortens)
    - A band remains same size as myosin doesn't change in size.

-T-tubules carry action potential throughout the sarcoplasm. Causes sarcoplasmic reticulum to release calcium ions (which will need to be reabsorbed by active transport) into myofibrils.
    -This causes tropomyosin to pull away from the actin filament, allowing myosin to attach and form an actin-myosin cross-bridge.
    -Myosin is able to pull actin along, using ATP and therefore producing ADP +Pi.
    - Reformation of ATP allows myosin to detach from actin and return to original position and attach to new actin filament = cycle repeats

** Most of this ATP comes from ADP produced during respiration of pyruvate in mitochondria - but this requires O2. Anaerobic means of producing ATP is also needed for vigorous muscle contraction = PHOSPHOCREATINE. This is stored in muscle and can supply phosphate to combine with ADP and produce ATP.

That's how I've condensed it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Regina15)
    Don't worry, I left it later than this last year(I'm retaking) and managed to get a C just by focusing on main topics. If anything, skip DNA tech, it rarely ever comes up and if it does, there isn't much they can ask, I'd just do a quick overview. Start with action potentials and then diabetes perhaps, those are two topics I don't think came up last year(someone correct me if I'm wrong) - you could also use physicsandmathstutor.com - it's everything from the book just condensed it may be easier to work through
    Thank you!!! I'll be happy with a C, don't even need this A level to get into my first choice, but have too much prestige to let myself fail lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyloops1996)
    Thank you!!! I'll be happy with a C, don't even need this A level to get into my first choice, but have too much prestige to let myself fail lol
    No problem Oh right, haha, I'm like that myself good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I need a B overall and it is looking unlikely after biol4 D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyricallies)
    I thought Bio 4 wasn't too bad, especially those last questions!

ReputationRep:
    I f***** biol4 up too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djhodnett)
    It was the salty soil and biomass ones I think I screwed up the most :L

ReputationRep:
    It was the salty soil and biomass ones I think I screwed up the most :L
    oh that's barely any marks you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    Hated it at the time although retrospectively it wasn't too much harder than other papers, definitely the worst one of all the practice ones though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonlad)
    Hated it at the time although retrospectively it wasn't too much harder than other papers, definitely the worst one of all the practice ones though
    oh, i thought the grade boundaries would be higher in this one compared to last years but by peoples responses maybe not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozy96)
    I don't think so, if anything it might be easier. I don't think they could come up with new questions with HSW and applications in a few days. They either have a backup or took questions from past papers. Either way we can't say for sure, so revise everything!
    I heard that AQA always make back-up exams anyway just in case - so honestly I doubt we'll notice a difference.

ReputationRep:
    oh, i thought the grade boundaries would be higher in this one compared to last years but by peoples responses maybe not?
    I'm relying on low grade boundaries ✌️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyloops1996)
    I hate the way the textbook explains everything! We need to learn the structure of a muscle so the A-band, I-band, Z line, H zone and sarcomere. Then the muscle filaments myosin and actin - myosin is thick and actin which is thin. They are arranged to form a sarcomere.

During contraction:-
    - Z lines move closer together (sarcomere shortens)
    - A band remains same size as myosin doesn't change in size.

-T-tubules carry action potential throughout the sarcoplasm. Causes sarcoplasmic reticulum to release calcium ions (which will need to be reabsorbed by active transport) into myofibrils.
    -This causes tropomyosin to pull away from the actin filament, allowing myosin to attach and form an actin-myosin cross-bridge.
    -Myosin is able to pull actin along, using ATP and therefore producing ADP +Pi.
    - Reformation of ATP allows myosin to detach from actin and return to original position and attach to new actin filament = cycle repeats

** Most of this ATP comes from ADP produced during respiration of pyruvate in mitochondria - but this requires O2. Anaerobic means of producing ATP is also needed for vigorous muscle contraction = PHOSPHOCREATINE. This is stored in muscle and can supply phosphate to combine with ADP and produce ATP.

That's how I've condensed it!
    Thank you so much!! You're a life saver haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    saw the news about the theft, wtfff
    hope they really have backup
    i dont want no taster of the 2016 spec lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makashima)
    saw the news about the theft, wtfff
    hope they really have backup
    i dont want no taster of the 2016 spec lol
    We've already done unit 4 though. So even if they changed the papers its not like there was a huge difference..? I really don't think they'll give us new spec questions or the fact that they'll change the rewritten paper by much - if this whole thing is actually true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrPolish)
    Hey guys, im not sure if these were posted before, but in case they weren't here are some really useful Biol Unit 5 notes :

https://7def787516e26c878dc93b38d6ce...%20A-Level.pdf

hope they help
    Wow these are so so good! Thank you! Do you by any chance have notes on BIOL 1-4 as well?

ReputationRep:
    We've already done unit 4 though. So even if they changed the papers its not like there was a huge difference..? I really don't think they'll give us new spec questions or the fact that they'll change the rewritten paper by much - if this whole thing is actually true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thing about the theft? yes it is true
    http://www.theguardian.com/education...-papers-stolen

they must have a backup
    a complex organisation business, AQA, must be not that simple!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    DONT WORRY
    They WILL have backup
    since stealing papers has happened before like twice or somethinggggggg

ReputationRep:
    predictions for essays?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.