Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhyaCeri)
    this was actually a really nice paper! probably easier for me because i was resitting but it was so much better than last years paper
    I preferred last years paper :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tadit)
    How many marks was that question?
    3 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobC1998)
    The question said that the factor was (x+2) i am certain of it
    (Original post by student0042)
    Actually you may be right because it was p(-2) = 0 there x + 2 =0 and x = -2
    Honestly I can't remember anymore.
    Here we go: Its (x+2) which gives a root of x=-2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ziig4709q7...22343.jpg?dl=0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsMJ)
    I can probably post an unofficial mark scheme if someone could remember the questions, because I don't remember them.
    Somebody already made one:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3322639

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a few questions I've DEFINITELY got wrong, but how many working marks would I get if:

For Q1Bii) To find A, I attempted a simultaneous equation with the equation given, and the one calculated, but have the wrong answer?

Q2) I didn't distinctly state that N=7, however I got 7+rt15

Q4d) To find the smallest length, I used pythagoras with the radius 5rt2 and minused it from another length I had (which is wrong), but would I get any marks for working??

Q5c) I identified that the values in the complete square form changed, to (x+0.5)^2 + (y+2.5)^2, however I left 'c' the same and didn't minus the 1/4 from 0.5^2, so my quadratic was incorrect. How many working marks, if any?

Question 6b) I stupidly differentiated 24pi(r)-pi^4/2, instead of 24pi(r)-pi^3/2 (I differentiated with the power 4 instead of 3). I think I did dy/dx and d2y/dx2 correctly, however I differentiated the wrong expression! Would I get any marks carried forward for this, or would I get 0?

Question 7a) The cubic graph, I wrote down that x=0 and x=3, however the graph that I drew (despite going through 0 and 3) was wrong. Would I get any of the 3 marks?

Question 8c) Another ridiculous mistake, I couldn't figure out the factors to factorise with (36 and -4), so put b^2-4ac from the previous question into the quadratic formula, however I didn't solve anything as I ran out of time. Would I get a mark for working for doing this?

If you read all of this post, I thank you enormously!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snuvisol)
    3 marks
    Well since you drew the curve touching/passing the roots correctly and you drew the curve as a general cubic shape, you may only lose one mark for drawing it the other way round

ReputationRep:
    I got 162/5 for the area under the graph

ReputationRep:
    I got 162/5 for the area or the shaded region

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a pretty standard paper; only thing i struggled with personally was the translation question; because i was in 2 minds whilst answering that question.

Apart from that nothing new really came up; they just recycle old questions styles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tadit)
    Well since you drew the curve touching/passing the roots correctly and you drew the curve as a general cubic shape, you may only lose one mark for drawing it the other way round
    I hope you are right That would be just 1 mark lost overall, so I can still get 100 UMCS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenlevel23)
    Finished the markscheme. Thanks everyone!
    How do you do 8b? I know that u use discriminant but when i expand the brackets, I don't get the equation

ReputationRep:
    i messed up the integration one i worked out the area of the trapezium to be 270/5 but i didn't get the one before right and my final answer was like 124/5 how many marks would i lose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobC1998)
    I am sure that question 7biv was x=-2
    Im pretty sure part 6aii.) was 2 marks, not 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenlevel23)
    FINAL MARKSCHEME:

Question 1
    (a) -3/5 [2]
    (b)(i)
    perp. gradient = 5/3
    y-?=5/3(x-?)
    5x-3y+1=0 [3]
    (b)(ii) A(9,-4) [3]

Question 2
    7+√15
    n=7 [5]

Question 3
    (a) y=-10x-4 [4]
    (b)(i) 108/5 (oe, e.g. 21.6) [5]
    (b)(ii). 162/5 (oe, e.g. 32.4) [3]

Question 4
    (a) (x+1)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 50 [2]
    (b)(i). C(-1,3) [1]
    (b)(ii) 5√2 [2]
    (c)
    k^2-6x-16
    (k-8)(k+2)
    k=8, k=-2 [2]
    (d) min. distance = 7 [2]

Question 5
    (a) p = 3/2, q = -¼ [3]
    (b)(i) (-3/2, -¼) [2]
    (b)(ii) line of symmetry is x=-3/2 [1]
    (c) y=x^2-x+4 [3]

Question 6
    **IT WAS AN OPEN TOP CYLINDER DAMNIT**
    (a)(i) h = 24/r -r/2 [3]
    (a)(ii) Sub πr^2 into part (i) to get V = 24πr -π/2 r^3 [3]
    (b)(i) 24π -3π/2 r^2 [2]
    (b)(ii)
    r=4 when dy/dx=0
    r=4 => d^2y/dx^2(=-12π)<0, therefore maximum [4]

Question 7
    (a) http://i.imgur.com/rVJ169A.png [3]
    (b)(i) R = 36 [2]
    (b)(ii) R= 0 therefore root [2]
    (b)(iii)(x-2)(x^2-5x+10) [2]
    (b)(iv) x=2 [3]

Question 8
    (a) (Show) x^2 + 3(k-2)x -13-k=0 [1]
    (b) 9k^2-32k-16<0 [3]
    (c) -4/9< k<4 [4]

im pretty sure 6aii was 2 marks, not 3

ReputationRep:
    On the cylinder question who got 4 for the stationary point ?

ReputationRep:
    Could someone give me the two equations that were used for 1c, where you had to find coordinates A by doing simultaneous equations please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel1315)
    That's what I got, How did you do question 2 the surds one it's really bugging me because I know it was probably so simple!
    You were given two co-ordinates in the form of surds, I've forgotten what they were.

However, all you needed to do was use the gradient equation (y2-y1/x2-x1) and then rationalize the denominator to end up with like 7+ 15 (or -√15, I've forgotten.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfish5577)
    On the cylinder question who got 4 for the stationary point ?
    I got 4.

ReputationRep:
    Guys for the integral one I got 648/30 which is equivalent to 108/5 would I still get the marks .

ReputationRep:
    Did you have to put n=7 because for similar questions on other mark-schemes they never stated that?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.