Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleheron)
    Thank you very much.Before the exam, I looked up some advice and it did tell me to get down 8 or 9 points. I tried to do this in the exam but unless I fully explain HOW the atmosphere is created, it didn't really make sense. I have had a look at some homework and my mock and I manged to get 10 and 8.5 respectively by only using 4 quotations so I'm really not sure. I've also had a look at the mark scheme and in 10 marks they talk about"focusing on important aspects" then mention 3 examples. I feel that I have gone into appropriate detail so hopefully I do ok.

Juts out of interest, how did you go about making your points. Did you simply say:

Steinbeck creates atmosphere by describing the setting "they sat by a fire". This creates a "silent" mood due to the lack of action.

Is that essentially what you did for one point? Or did you go into more/less detail that that?
    I think it depends on the examiner how they go about marking the points. I think you should be OK though

The paragraphs still need to have SCH and analysis. As it is the setting & the characters that are being silent, you could say it was a silent atmosphere, or a peaceful or tranquil atmosphere alternatively

I think one of my paragraphs was like:

Steinbeck creates a childish atmosphere through the quote "Good boy! That's fine, Lennie!" said by George at the beginning of the extract. Here George is acting like a parental figure to Lennie, using compliments such as "Good boy" - "boy" implying he is like a child - and simplistic language to praise him. This could be Steinbeck's criticism of how mentally disabled people were treated in 1930s American society, as they were adults, not children, but were treated in a similar way.

So I've:

- said that it's a childish atmosphere because the character (Lennie) is feeling childish
    - picked out "Good boy" and "boy"
    - included analysis - George acting like a parental figure
    - included speculation - how disabled people were treated in that society
    - & made it a very short paragraph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electrahearts)
    I hope it's not Gerald or The Inspector - I know the inspector has loads of quotes but I find it very hard to structure an essay on him! And I'm getting a bad feeling that About a Boy will be an empathy question, seeing as they no longer use empathy in the other 2 questions
    I know what you mean, there's so much to say but being able to structure the stuff is insanely hard. A question on Gerald would be good but I think that's already come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobolon)
    One line said 'flesh for cash' this clearly suggests prostitution, body for money, and the second line was 'bare-legged ladies shiver in the cold April wind' If you imagine what a prostitute looks like with short dresses and bare legs you can then see the link there.
    I can see what you mean now but it's ****ing absurd making 16 year olds who probably have no care in the world for ****ty poetry analyse so in depth about poems that were meant to be about 'nature and the man made world'. But then I guess that's wjec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcticNeighbour)
    An Inspector Calls is actually a really good and interesting play and heroes is a pretty decent, although unrealistic book. Thanks! Good luck for you as well! And well done on your coursework!
    AIC does seem like quite an interesting book from what I've read from past papers and such :P Don't like the sound of Heroes though, idk. TKAM also sounds pretty cool, my brother did it for his GCSEs. I guess it's all down to the teacher. And thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I looked at the grade boundaries for last year and it was 36/50 for an A on the paper we sat today for WJEC, is this right or have I read the wrong thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyrailly)
    AIC does seem like quite an interesting book from what I've read from past papers and such :P Don't like the sound of Heroes though, idk. TKAM also sounds pretty cool, my brother did it for his GCSEs. I guess it's all down to the teacher. And thanks!
    Yeah it's pretty interesting. Yep I've heard that's good. For me, it's down to school. The whole school does the same books, plays etc

ReputationRep:
    Considering that it said the poems were about "nature invading the man made world", do you think we will get marked down for not making links with prostitution? Do they mark it based on how well explained your own interpretation is or how many 'correct' interpretations you have made?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georginah2)
    I looked at the grade boundaries for last year and it was 36/50 for an A on the paper we sat today for WJEC, is this right or have I read the wrong thing?
    Yep, that's the one

ReputationRep:
    Considering that it said the poems were about "nature invading the man made world", do you think we will get marked down for not making links with prostitution? Do they mark it based on how well explained your own interpretation is or how many 'correct' interpretations you have made?
    I don't think they'd not give us marks for not including prostitution. Lets be honest, what 16 year old would get that? Only a sucker for literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10studentlife)
    Dear God, I hope that they do a character question... otherwise I'm dead meat
    I doubt it unfortunately... But who knows?
    Got your themes revised anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I think they base it on how well explained your own interpretation is. I mean there's no right or wrong answer for unseen poetry especially because it's unseen. And they gave us a description of nature invading a manmade world, how are mere mortals like us supposed to relate THAT to prostitution??

ReputationRep:
    For those who wrote about prostitution for 'city lilacs', firstly how the heck did you come up with that?
    The poem clearly states that the poems are about nature's effect on the man made world. Although there may have been some quotes in the poem that gave the idea of prostitution, the rest of the poem was about nature's influence on the city just like there was in the second poem. The poems that are chosen share similarities and differences, if poem 1 was about prostitution and the second about nature, they would have been completely different poems that wouldn't have shared the same analytic ideas. Is it just me who finds that completely absurd? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    The one's with swearing in 'em.
    Just kidding XD. But I made sure I got in a cheeky swearing quote.
    I would try to use quotes that are characteristic of the people who say them. So for example, to exemplify Rudge's blunt and pragmatic attitude, maybe "How do I define History?..." and then that part. You could mention quotes that show different characters' views on different themes in the play. Also keep the quotes short and snappy and to the point.
    There are no specific right or wrong quotes, remember. Just give a good, insightful analysis of each one you use.
    Thank you very much, very helpful And yeah, the sweary quotes are pretty easy to remember. History Boys isn't as bad quotes wise, I've annotated my book too

(Original post by RotomGuy)
    Simon is very likely for Lord of the Flies.
    Woop woop, favourite character

One line said 'flesh for cash' this clearly suggests prostitution, body for money, and the second line was 'bare-legged ladies shiver in the cold April wind' If you imagine what a prostitute looks like with short dresses and bare legs you can then see the link there.
    Pretty sure I misread the flesh bit for 'flesh and cash', so I missed that interpretation. Oh well... Also, the girls thing I interpreted that as schoolgirls being cold because they forgot to put tights on in the morning. I said that the presentation of women with nature things and men with phones suggested the poet thought women are more in tune with the world :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyrailly)
    I think it depends on the examiner how they go about marking the points. I think you should be OK though

The paragraphs still need to have SCH and analysis. As it is the setting & the characters that are being silent, you could say it was a silent atmosphere, or a peaceful or tranquil atmosphere alternatively

I think one of my paragraphs was like:

Steinbeck creates a childish atmosphere through the quote "Good boy! That's fine, Lennie!" said by George at the beginning of the extract. Here George is acting like a parental figure to Lennie, using compliments such as "Good boy" - "boy" implying he is like a child - and simplistic language to praise him. This could be Steinbeck's criticism of how mentally disabled people were treated in 1930s American society, as they were adults, not children, but were treated in a similar way.

So I've:

- said that it's a childish atmosphere because the character (Lennie) is feeling childish
    - picked out "Good boy" and "boy"
    - included analysis - George acting like a parental figure
    - included speculation - how disabled people were treated in that society
    - & made it a very short paragraph
    Wow that's very good. You should become an English teacher :P

I think I pretty much did what you did. But I used similar points linked together if that makes sense. For example, I wrote:

At the beginning of the extract, Steinbeck creates mood and atmosphere by describing the setting "sat around a fire chewing mightily". Here the basic description creates a still image and consequently creates a silent and almost "normal" mood. The use of chewing mightily adds to this silent atmosphere because George and Lennie are partaking in a normal human activity - eating. However, "mightily" is used which is often associated with violence. This suggests that perhaps Lennie and George are angry about something . This idea is supported by the onomatopoeic use of "chewing" which is a harsh/strong sound due to the stressed syllables and so creates an "unfriendly" atmosphere. Nevertheless, the fact that this is the only action being described could suggest that the perhaps both Lennie and Geroge are focusing on something and this creates a mood of "deep thought."

I phrased it slightly different than that and I think I added more. Then I went on to talk about the mood changing to a comedic one as the beans "slip" out of Lennie's mouth and talked about how George is almost purposefully trying to ignore this by "gesturing with his spoon"

Then I talked about the atmosphere changing to a serious atmosphere after Geroge asks the serious question.

Then I said the atmosphere becomes friendly after Lennie answers correctly and this is continued till the end of the extract.

I put more detail into all the points above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    I doubt it unfortunately... But who knows?
    Got your themes revised anyway?
    wrote that about OMAM, havent revise the other books yet, what are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    Thank you very much, very helpful And yeah, the sweary quotes are pretty easy to remember. History Boys isn't as bad quotes wise, I've annotated my book too

Woop woop, favourite character

Pretty sure I misread the flesh bit for 'flesh and cash', so I missed that interpretation. Oh well... Also, the girls thing I interpreted that as schoolgirls being cold because they forgot to put tights on in the morning. I said that the presentation of women with nature things and men with phones suggested the poet thought women are more in tune with the world :facepalm:
    It was 'flesh and cash', not flesh for cash which negates the idea that the poem is about prostitution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrl0)
    You did well! What points would you say for

A CRITIC SAID ABOUTOf Mice and Men: ‘the characters are powerless’ Do you agree? Give reasons tosupport your opinions
    Well it's tough to remember exactly what I need to say but I remember our teacher going through this question withs not long before the exam (which was 2 years ago!). I remember the key idea was to describe the different levels of power on the ranch as a hierarchy, with people such as the Boss at the top. But you need to discuss different kinds of power as well. A more subtle example of power would be Slim. Notice how he is described as "the prince of the ranch". But he doesn't have any direct power over the others; he is at the same level as all the other workers. But look what he did at the end of the book - he took control of a chaotic situation and comforted George after he had killed Lennie, and earlier he had sorted out a similar chaotic situation with Lennie crushing Curley's hand.
    Additionally, we see that Lennie does not have power over others mentally but physically he is the most powerful. Yet George has power over him even though he is physically weaker.
    You could argue that Curley's wife is the one of the people without power on the ranch (along with Crooks and Candy which you can discuss as well). I mean just look at her name! She has no name in the entire book and is the only woman on the ranch. She is described as a POSSESSION of Curley throughout the whole novella to emphasise her powerlessness.
    So those were just a few examples but I hope you get the general gist. Make sure you give a good conclusion to sum up your view as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleheron)
    Wow that's very good. You should become an English teacher :P

I think I pretty much did what you did. But I used similar points linked together if that makes sense. For example, I wrote:

At the beginning of the extract, Steinbeck creates mood and atmosphere by describing the setting "sat around a fire chewing mightily". Here the basic description creates a still image and consequently creates a silent and almost "normal" mood. The use of chewing mightily adds to this silent atmosphere because George and Lennie are partaking in a normal human activity - eating. However, "mightily" is used which is often associated with violence. This suggests that perhaps Lennie and George are angry about something . This idea is supported by the onomatopoeic use of "chewing" which is a harsh/strong sound due to the stressed syllables and so creates an "unfriendly" atmosphere. Nevertheless, the fact that this is the only action being described could suggest that the perhaps both Lennie and Geroge are focusing on something and this creates a mood of "deep thought."

I phrased it slightly different than that and I think I added more. Then I went on to talk about the mood changing to a comedic one as the beans "slip" out of Lennie's mouth and talked about how George is almost purposefully trying to ignore this by "gesturing with his spoon"

Then I talked about the atmosphere changing to a serious atmosphere after Geroge asks the serious question.

Then I said the atmosphere becomes friendly after Lennie answers correctly and this is continued till the end of the extract.

I put more detail into all the points above.
    That's a really good paragraph! It's a shame you didn't add much context/speculation though, but that's definitely an A paragraph And thank you hahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SZaman99)
    It was 'flesh and cash', not flesh for cash which negates the idea that the poem is about prostitution
    I just thought it was about people having sex in a park and drug dealing or something like that

I don't think everyone should worry too much about the prostitution aspect though. So long as points are made and backed up, you can't go too wrong, and they won't penalise you for missing the idea if you have other ideas

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that normal girls can be 'bare-legged' and not be prostitutes. Also it wasn't flesh for cash, it was 'flesh and cash', which changes your interpretation as it no longer symbolises body for money.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2015

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.