Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts on Fourth Monkey?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the Reserve for BSA Acting and wondered whether anyone knows how many are on the list, and what the chances are of being lifted from it? I know BSA don't have a numbered reserve list and they try to replace with the right 'fit' for the course. Its a long time to wait....

How are others doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BruB)
    Any thoughts on Fourth Monkey?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From what I've heard it's a great training place for young actors and they produce some high quality theatre. I saw their flyers all over the fringe last year and I'm sure they do shows in London as well. Definitely something to look into!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I got offered a place at East15 but I want to finish all my auditions before responding.

What I understand from their emails is that they want a response within 28 days of the offer. I've got a couple more auditions this month but I don't want to lose my place at East 15. Anyone else in the same or similar position? Any good advise?

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for the Foundation at East but I'm also on the reserve for BSA, and therefore waiting. I emailed East 15 regarding the 28day response and £300 deposit and they kindly told me to tell them once I know... It's Taken the pressure off, and like you I don't want to lose the place, but want to respond to possible options.
    Emailing them may help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dramastudent'15)
    From what I've heard it's a great training place for young actors and they produce some high quality theatre. I saw their flyers all over the fringe last year and I'm sure they do shows in London as well. Definitely something to look into!
    Yeah, I just got offered a place there for the one year course. Also got an offer from East 15 for their BA Acting International, but I think it might be too expensive for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BruB)
    Yeah, I just got offered a place there for the one year course. Also got an offer from East 15 for their BA Acting International, but I think it might be too expensive for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well congrats tho! Could East 15 not help you out with funding?

ReputationRep:
    Well congrats tho! Could East 15 not help you out with funding?
    Considering how confused they seem to be, I don't think they care. For starters, they offered me the place in January, forgot to update UCAS, made me call UCAS after my application was declined by default in May only to be told it is the university's responsibility to fix that. Every time I asked to visit the school they stopped responding, too. So yeah, I don't think they are particularly concerned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BruB)
    Considering how confused they seem to be, I don't think they care. For starters, they offered me the place in January, forgot to update UCAS, made me call UCAS after my application was declined by default in May only to be told it is the university's responsibility to fix that. Every time I asked to visit the school they stopped responding, too. So yeah, I don't think they are particularly concerned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, if you feel they don't care then don't go in all honesty.
    We all pay crazy fees anyway, but especially as an international student, you don't want to be wasting money on a school that you don't absolutely click with. It's 3 years of tuition fees but also 3 years of rent - in the end that will be a lot of dolla dolla. So I do sympathise as that is not an easy decision to make. It's a shame that they won't help you out really!
    I'd say go with your gut and just roll with whatever you choose. I hope it works out for you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, congratulations to everyone who's made it this year!

Well, I haven't, so I decided to apply for LAMDA's Audition Technique summer course, as it seemed to be just what I needed (plus I have my heart set on LAMDA). However, it's also been a no-no (actually I'm on the waiting list, but they say it's very unlikely that I'll be offered a place).

Now, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar course that has been helpful to you?
    Or, for that matter, do you have any recommendation and advice on how to improve for next year? Any book, website you've found helpful? ANYTHING?

Because those who have made it often say that you have to work hard and you'll make it, and I really want to work hard, I just don't know how to move on when I come to a certain point.

Any help appreciated, thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofpeace)
    Hi guys, congratulations to everyone who's made it this year!

Well, I haven't, so I decided to apply for LAMDA's Audition Technique summer course, as it seemed to be just what I needed (plus I have my heart set on LAMDA). However, it's also been a no-no (actually I'm on the waiting list, but they say it's very unlikely that I'll be offered a place).

Now, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar course that has been helpful to you?
    Or, for that matter, do you have any recommendation and advice on how to improve for next year? Any book, website you've found helpful? ANYTHING?

Because those who have made it often say that you have to work hard and you'll make it, and I really want to work hard, I just don't know how to move on when I come to a certain point.

Any help appreciated, thanks x
    Hey there, well done on getting on the list! I got into LAMDA this year so fingers crossed I see you there! Books I would recommend are 'The right to speak' (especially volume 2) by Patsy Rodenburg. She's amazing. Basically just get all her books and thank me afterwards. 'Becoming an Actor' by Thomasina Unsworth and 'The Excellent audition guide' by Andy Johnson - really useful for drama school auditions. Hope they help in some way - they helped me for sure

Also, I've been writing about my whole experience this year on Wordpress - my blog is https://aspiringactresssite.wordpress.com - you could check it out if you like but you've been through all the lamda rounds so you know already know what the score is!

And I would definitely recommend doing a short course at a drama school because it will give you a real taste of what training as an actor will be like. I've done summer schools before and you make so many friends and learn so much go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, well done on getting on the list! I got into LAMDA this year so fingers crossed I see you there! Books I would recommend are 'The right to speak' (especially volume 2) by Patsy Rodenburg. She's amazing. Basically just get all her books and thank me afterwards. 'Becoming an Actor' by Thomasina Unsworth and 'The Excellent audition guide' by Andy Johnson - really useful for drama school auditions. Hope they help in some way - they helped me for sure

Also, I've been writing about my whole experience this year on Wordpress - my blog is https://aspiringactresssite.wordpress.com - you could check it out if you like but you've been through all the lamda rounds so you know already know what the score is!

And I would definitely recommend doing a short course at a drama school because it will give you a real taste of what training as an actor will be like. I've done summer schools before and you make so many friends and learn so much go for it!
    Oh, wow, it's you! I've been following your blog and planning to send you an email ever since your last post. Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated, coming from someone I admire so much. And expect an email soon!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

I just wondered if anyone has been offered places off reserve lists as yet? and if so where from? I'm waiting to hear from BSA and getting anxious as time goes on.

Be great to hear from anyone in the same position or if you've heard please.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Hello again fellow applicants!

I've recently started a GoFundMe that if you wouldn't mind sharing, and if at all possible contributing, it would mean the world!
    https://www.gofundme.com/ABshortfilmproject

Not sure if I posted already as well but I'm definitely attending ALRA for their foundation course this year

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone and congrats to everyone who auditioned this year (it was a really competitive year !!)

For me this was my first year auditioning but did not get any offers (not even recalls ffs :P) and same as queenofpeace I was put on the waiting list for the LAMDA Audition Technique course which was eventually a no...

So my question to you is : Does anyone know or could recommend good acting courses and amateur theatre clubs in London so I could try join and gain more experience before auditioning again next year ?Preferably someone who had joined these courses/groups and has some inside information

Thank you in advance and looking forward for many answers !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThanosTsar)
    Hello everyone and congrats to everyone who auditioned this year (it was a really competitive year !!)

For me this was my first year auditioning but did not get any offers (not even recalls ffs :P) and same as queenofpeace I was put on the waiting list for the LAMDA Audition Technique course which was eventually a no...

So my question to you is : Does anyone know or could recommend good acting courses and amateur theatre clubs in London so I could try join and gain more experience before auditioning again next year ?Preferably someone who had joined these courses/groups and has some inside information

Hi there!
    It is my first year auditioning too. I have an offer for East 15 foundation and reserve at BSA. I didn't audition for any others this year because of expense and time (had A levels). I'm sure others will answer your specific questions about London courses but this is what I've done... I joined a local city am dram group and auditioned for parts- got a key role in last years Christmas show (8 weeks reversal and 18 shows) and a part in Midsummer nights dream in April. I also went to a couple of RADA Saturday workshops which were exciting and fantastic! I did A level drama at school but the above experience helped me more ... Going for auditions locally was the key and working beside older and more experienced actors/ director/wardrobe peeps. Hope this helps... It doesn't have to cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThanosTsar)

The actors centre, the actors class, room one, the mono box, city lot academy, young companies at old vic and almedia theatre, NYT, summer schools/workshops at any of the accredited drama schools ... So many things to get involved in and a lot more than I mentioned!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been accepted to the PG Course at ALRA. Have you been there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msaot)
    Hi, I have been accepted to the PG Course at ALRA. Have you been there?
    Hiya! I just started on the Foundation course

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, is there anyone who's currently studying at GSA or East 15 who wouldn't mind giving me some tips as to what to put on personal statement or anything they particularly like to see? Any advice with monologues would also be great laura x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 19, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.