The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
How do you say this

AMS is proportional representation method or uses proportional representation? I'm baffed
Reply 541
Original post by mollyadtr
I've only done one for the different outcomes of the electoral systems, I might go on to do an essay plan on 'what would be the outcome of using pr for general elections' or something like thst

Posted from TSR Mobile

Release that please.
Does anyone have any recent examples for pressure group protests, like anything after the 2010 student protests?
Original post by xxvine
How do you say this

AMS is proportional representation method or uses proportional representation? I'm baffed

AMS is a system which PRODUCES an outcome of proportional representation
Original post by DrDobbs
Release that please.

have the powerpoint im too lazy to type it out, its near to the end, theres the markscheme + extras and the next slide after is work other people contributed to yesterday in the chat
Original post by jjbloomy
Does anyone have any recent examples for pressure group protests, like anything after the 2010 student protests?

BMA junior doctors
Original post by chloelong
BMA junior doctors

That's awful, that went straight past by head!! Thanks!
How would you answer:
How has the use of AMS affected party representation in the UK? (10 Marks) These questions really throw me
in general heres all the powerpoints i spent the last week doing. i may as well offer them out to everyone :biggrin: it might not include every little thing but in my opinion it has the majority of stuff covered in each unit
Original post by Louise12307
It might help me too so I don't mind giving it a go! Got a link? I'm doing pressure groups, parties and democracy and participation

Here it is. Sorry for the wait, I had to get the file size right. And if you want me to mark your papers I'd be more than happy to, help us both out :smile:
in general heres all the powerpoints i spent the last week doing. i may as well offer them out to everyone :biggrin: it might not include every little thing but in my opinion it has the majority of stuff covered in each unit

Bloody hell you've been a powerhouse with these notes over the past couple of days, cheers for this.

You are an absolute star. Thank you so much!!!
Original post by jxssamy
How would you answer:
How has the use of AMS affected party representation in the UK? (10 Marks) These questions really throw me

Tories are doing better in the devolved authorities when they wouldn't normally -> this years Scottish elections
More representation for the smaller parties who don't usually do as well
Worsened Labour's hold over Scotland/Wales?

...quite hard
Original post by Nightcall
Bloody hell you've been a powerhouse with these notes over the past couple of days, cheers for this.

You are an absolute star. Thank you so much!!!

lets just say i have a lot of spare time on my hands.... and no problem at all! :tongue:
Original post by jxssamy
How would you answer:

so i'd note things like

AMS is a hybrid system which produces a multi-party system due to the fact the regional voting part makes the system more roughly proportional to votes. Due to the differential topup, smaller parties which may be disadvantaged by FPTP part and the Winner's Bonus, are advantaged and vice versa. For example, in the 2016 local scottish elections, the Tories who are usually unpopular in Scotland won 31 seats all together, from a differential top up of 21 seats from their 7 constituency seats. Likewise, due to the fact SNP won 63 seats, missing out on a majority due to their successes in the constituency part, so only got a differential top up of 4 regional seats.
If they are right I honestly might cry. Pressure groups and democracy would be such nice questions and honestly would not go near Political Parties

If the question for political parties is good I'll do it :tongue: it's pretty contemporary so could do better than you think
Original post by alevelpain
Tories are doing better in the devolved authorities when they wouldn't normally -> this years Scottish elections
More representation for the smaller parties who don't usually do as well
Worsened Labour's hold over Scotland/Wales?

...quite hard

Thanks, if that question comes up I imagine I'll be avoiding Elections...
so i'd note things like

AMS is a hybrid system which produces a multi-party system due to the fact the regional voting part makes the system more roughly proportional to votes. Due to the differential topup, smaller parties which may be disadvantaged by FPTP part and the Winner's Bonus, are advantaged and vice versa. For example, in the 2016 local scottish elections, the Tories who are usually unpopular in Scotland won 31 seats all together, from a differential top up of 21 seats from their 7 constituency seats. Likewise, due to the fact SNP won 63 seats, missing out on a majority due to their successes in the constituency part, so only got a differential top up of 4 regional seats.

Also, its important to note what kind of party system it produces, like FPTP produces a two-party system / two and a half party system (2010). If you were to talk about FPTP you can also note that the disproportionate system that it is meant that though SNP got 1.5 million votes, they got 56 seats, while UKIP and Greens combined got 5 million votes together and only 1 seat each.
so i'd note things like

Thank you!
Original post by jxssamy
Thank you!

No problem - also it was 24 top up seats for the tories not 21 my mistake!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending