Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Results
    History: Predicted A / Achieved A
    Sociology: Predicted B / Achieved A
    Economics: Predicted C / Achieved A
    Psychology: Predicted B / Achieved B

Comments and Reactions
    I honestly did not expect these results in a million years!! This was my second attempt at AS Levels after going to the wrong sixth form and choosing wrong subjects last year... I got BDEU last year!
    Economics was my worst subject and I'd never gotten above a C in any test, when I saw that I somehow managed an A with the exam going so badly and the amount of waffle I wrote, I was so so shocked. I was adamant I'd got a D, my teachers knew how much I hated it and I doubt they even thought I could do it!!! (I'm definitely getting the papers back to see what miracle happened!)
    I revised the most for psychology, so I'm kind of disappointed I didn't get an A, however, a B is brilliant and I just need to work harder on it next year!!
    History and Sociology I'm over the moon about, they are definitely my strongest subjects and I couldn't be happier with what I got!

Future Ambitions
    Modern History or History at Politics at Uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BluntBluster)
    AAAA in Maths, Physics, Chem and Bio.

Will Imperial consider baring in mind I only have 1 A* at GCSE, and also, how can I find out my science UMS scores???
    Chemical engineering btw
    I have a friend who got an offer from imperial with worse gcses. A level seems to be the pivotal qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Results/:

B: English Lit (Edexcel new spec/predicted A)
    B: Gov & Politics (OCR/predicted A)
    A: Classics (OCR/predicted A)
    B: RS (OCR/predicted B)

Comments/:
    Was initially disappointed too see ABBB as I was hoping for AAAB/AABB but they could have gone a lot worse!!

Resitting Unit 1 Politics as I normally perform much better in that module and was only one mark off an A in Unit 2.

I'm also having one of my RS units remarked- I doubt it will make a difference but I thought it was work a shot as I achieved 90 UMS in one unit and 65UMS in the other.

English is linear so the AS results doesn't actually count towards my final grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Results
    • Subject: Maths Predicted A / Achieved A
    • Subject: English Language Predicted A / Achieved A
    • Subject: Philosophy and Ethics Predicted A / Achieved A
    • Subject: Chinese Predicted A / Achieved A

Comments and reactions
    Pretty happy with my results, especially maths given I got a C in my mechanics mock in February, although I only just scraped the A in Chinese (got 80 UMS) so I think I'm going to drop it as I'm not sure I can pull off an A next year!

Future ambitions
    I'd like to study Japanese at Cambridge, hence the need for an A in Chinese (A*AA offer). Just need to get my PS done and practise a bit for admissions assessments!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Bad luck having to do English Lit, psychology and sociology...[/list]
    Haha...
    Wait, why's that?:mute:

ReputationRep:
    My AS results were such a shock to me, as I will compare with my Jan. Mock results (marked by the school itself)

June 2016:

History: D
    Psychology: U
    Sociology: E
    General Studies: E

For a comparison, my mocks - (five months beforehand - Jan 2016):

History: A
    Psychology: E
    Sociology: C
    General Studies: N/A

I don't know what on earth happened. I put more effort/ revision into my exams in June than my mocks, and I somehow screw up royally?????

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say, I got BCCD at AS in psych, bio, econ and Spanish. Just achieved A*A*A and can now go to any uni I want to. Didn't expect this at all, didn't think it was even possible, however I retook one module from each of my subjects. I know this isn't the current exam system anymore but still, goes to show how much you can turn things around in 1 year!! All I have to say is work like you're an A* student, aim for full marks even if you get Ds all year in mocks, learn from it. Start looking at past papers in December even if you don't understand the content yet.

ReputationRep:
    French: A (Predicted: A)
    History: A (Predicted: A)
    Maths: A (Predicted: A)
    Sociology: A (Predicted: A)

Even in spite of my predictions I didnt think I'd get this - I came out of some of my exams crying out of how tough they were. I'm dropping Sociology for next year and hoping I can keep up this level - definitely looking forward to uni applications now

ReputationRep:
    AS:
    Results
    Biology: Predicted B / Achieved A
    Chemistry: Predicted E / Achieved A
    Maths: Predicted C / Achieved A
    Politics: Predicted C / Achieved A (dropping this plague of a subject)

Comments and Reactions
    ELATED (spelling? idk). My crappy teachers can kiss it tbh i only got these grades because i had to self teach most this year (bar my chem teacher who was just amazing, i just failed my mocks in hence the E prediction ) but hey ho got awesome teachers next year which will help
    Future Ambitions
    Med school is one step closer, just need to ace that UKCAT now ,easier said than done :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchNerd2)
    French: A (Predicted: A)
    History: A (Predicted: A)
    Maths: A (Predicted: A)
    Sociology: A (Predicted: A)

Even in spite of my predictions I didnt think I'd get this - I came out of some of my exams crying out of how tough they were. I'm dropping Sociology for next year and hoping I can keep up this level - definitely looking forward to uni applications now
    Future ambitions - French and ab initio Portuguese at Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewmoody98)
    Am i the only one who didn't do AS exams for subjects that are now two year courses? We just did a mock in school for those subjects
    It's not just you I know it's quite common for a lot of schools but some schools felt that having an external body assess you is better because of the lack of bias and give you a "feel" as to what the new exams are like and what could happen next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayeb1999)
    Got an A in paper 1 67/120
    Got an E in paper 2 21/50 but I was one mark off a D.

I asked my geography teacher how the rest of my class did and she said there was a range of results. I overheard one guy say he got a D overall.
    I think with geography you've got to not only include generic specific answers, but also wider reading really helps and being able to write consistently.
    I have no idea how I got that E in paper 2, but at least we have the option to resit next year
    What other subjects have you got results for?

Hi, I've got a B in Media but I've got marked down by 11 marks in my coursework from 78/80 to 67/80 and my teacher will hopefully appeal to these results as my whole class got marked down in the coursework by at least 7 marks and the most by 20. I could have easily got an A in Media overall but because my coursework was marked down, I got a B.

I got a C for design with a B in coursework and C in the exam. I really don't know how I got a C in the exam as we only had 6 theory lessons in the whole year and everyone in my class got a U in the exam, so I was happy I got a C.

In geography, I was one of the students that done considerably well in Unit 2 and done considerably well in Unit 1 which was a D. I know this isn't right as I was predicted a B and this didn't happen. I have to resit Unit 1 exam next year but hey, maybe I'll do better! I was also happy that I was the only 3 students to even get a grade for geography as everyone got a U across the board of all students who studies Geography AS.

I think my results aren't that great but because we're a brand new school and we're the first to sit AS, only two of my teachers taught ALevel before and knew what they were doing - Media Teacher and my Unit 1 Physical Geography teacher - in who's part I've done above national average apparently and if I've done just as well in the human side, I could have got a high B or a low A altogether so I was really annoyed about this.

The thing is though that since so many students were forced to drop the subject or leave sixth form altogether, in Design for example, we have two teachers and now there is only three of us, in geography we have two teachers and there is only 4 of us and in media we have two teachers and there's now only four of us. Even through most of my class mates and friends left, I think I'm going to get alot more help individually from my teachers!

What subjects do you do? Let me know

ReputationRep:
    Results AS
    Biology: Predicted A/ Achieved A (IAL)
    Chemistry: Predicted A/ Achieved A (IAL)
    Physics: Predicted A/ Achieved A (IAL)
    Maths: Predicted A/ Achieved A

Comments and Reactions
    I was pleasedish.. I was very happy with my physics with 296/300 UMS. But was a bit disappointed with my Biology as I was really shocked with the UMS that I got for unit 1 and 2 because I thought I did good. Chemistry and Maths were alright I guess. Don't judge guys I know I should be super happy but reasons....

Ambitions
    Medicine in UK, HKU, USA (accelerated hopefully )

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain what the point scale means for the new AS results? I really don't understand just got my results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dawideksoltysik)

Hi, I've got a B in Media but I've got marked down by 11 marks in my coursework from 78/80 to 67/80 and my teacher will hopefully appeal to these results as my whole class got marked down in the coursework by at least 7 marks and the most by 20. I could have easily got an A in Media overall but because my coursework was marked down, I got a B.

I got a C for design with a B in coursework and C in the exam. I really don't know how I got a C in the exam as we only had 6 theory lessons in the whole year and everyone in my class got a U in the exam, so I was happy I got a C.

In geography, I was one of the students that done considerably well in Unit 2 and done considerably well in Unit 1 which was a D. I know this isn't right as I was predicted a B and this didn't happen. I have to resit Unit 1 exam next year but hey, maybe I'll do better! I was also happy that I was the only 3 students to even get a grade for geography as everyone got a U across the board of all students who studies Geography AS.

I think my results aren't that great but because we're a brand new school and we're the first to sit AS, only two of my teachers taught ALevel before and knew what they were doing - Media Teacher and my Unit 1 Physical Geography teacher - in who's part I've done above national average apparently and if I've done just as well in the human side, I could have got a high B or a low A altogether so I was really annoyed about this.

The thing is though that since so many students were forced to drop the subject or leave sixth form altogether, in Design for example, we have two teachers and now there is only three of us, in geography we have two teachers and there is only 4 of us and in media we have two teachers and there's now only four of us. Even through most of my class mates and friends left, I think I'm going to get alot more help individually from my teachers!

What subjects do you do? Let me know
    Well done with your results! It sounds like you've done well compared to everyone else in your sixth form. I feel the same, quite a few of my friends have not done as well as they would've like with their results (one of them got CEEE and is going to do a course at college instead)
    Quite a few people taking demanding subjects like maths/sciences have not done well as they hoped (another friend got an E in maths, despite her dad being a maths teacher!) My school was pretty much a mixed bag of grades, and it's shocking how people who had done so well at GCSE didn't do as well at A level!

Apart from a level geography, I take psychology, history and biology. Got an A in psychology which I'm happy with, a B in geog, a C in history (how I got a C I have no idea) and an E in biology (which I'm really upset about)

Not a lot of people did well in biology (my mate also got an E) and the head of science looked very stressed on results day. I am hoping to carry it into A2 if I am allowed along with geog and psychology. It is my biology teachers decision as to whether I'm allowed to carry on. I think I should, I got an A in the January mocks and get Bs and Cs throughout the year. I was 4 marks off a D so the head of science said they would consider me to carry on, as they do know I work hard (I got nominated and won an endeavour award by my biology teachers and others)

So confused with what to do with my life now. My dad blames the biology grade on bad teaching, which I partly agree with as my main teacher missed a lot of lessons and rushed through the whole chapter on genetics. The papers were horrible though with only two of the topics actually appearing in paper 1 when all of them could appear.

As I said quite a few people look set to drop out of sixth form so it looks like we'll both get more one-to-one with our subject teachers. As for your subjects, your teachers may get a telling off for the grades your classes got (especially the Us in geography!) My geography teachers are not allowing anyone to resit geog1, as they're saying it'll be too much work next year along with the new topics next year.

Which topics are you doing? We're doing world cities, development and globalisation, plate tectonics and either a choice of ecosystems (which I'm secretly hoping for as we covered it at GCSE) or something to do with meteorology (sounds dead hard lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke F)
    My AS results were such a shock to me, as I will compare with my Jan. Mock results (marked by the school itself)

June 2016:

History: D
    Psychology: U
    Sociology: E
    General Studies: E

For a comparison, my mocks - (five months beforehand - Jan 2016):

History: A
    Psychology: E
    Sociology: C
    General Studies: N/A

I don't know what on earth happened. I put more effort/ revision into my exams in June than my mocks, and I somehow screw up royally?????
    You're not alone, I got an A in biology mock and E on results day. I also looked at how many marks I got and feel like my school either marks way too generously or examiners mark too strict. I think it may be the former though, as in biology the teachers often give BOD (benefit of the doubt) marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapereaude45)
    Can someone explain what the point scale means for the new AS results? I really don't understand just got my results.
    I think it's something to do with how schools are ranked and nothing to do with us. Have a look at this post http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post49365793

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CeltyV)
    I think it's something to do with how schools are ranked and nothing to do with us. Have a look at this post http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post49365793
    Oh so based on the grades we get our school gets put in a position in the league table

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    Oh so based on the grades we get our school gets put in a position in the league table

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I guess so. It seems legit since these points don't have anything to do with either raw marks, UMS or UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt.thorne10)
    I'm assuming you're talking about Edexcel? For them you need 480/600 UMS overall to get an A, then on top of that you have to average 90 UMS on C3 and C4 to get an A*. This means that you can get an A* with only 480 UMS if you do well enough on C3 and C4, alternatively you could get like 550/600 and still only get an A. Hope this helps.
    Thanks very much, but I did AQA. Is it the same system?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.