There is no evidence for God

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    We are, each of us, so utterly convinced that we are right and that the other is wrong, that we will not listen to what the other is saying
    Well, no. You may be (and since you say you are I expect that is the case) but I have listened to your argument, considered it and then rebutted it with a sensible, reasonable response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Well, no. You may be (and since you say you are I expect that is the case) but I have listened to your argument, considered it and then rebutted it with a sensible, reasonable response.
    I do appreciate that; can you reply to my comments?

It's just that it is very difficult, sometimes, to get people to respond without the "You're stupid and brainwashed" hate-attitude... Maybe there should be a bit more of an understanding between theists and atheists.

ReputationRep:
    God exists.

The End.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Light Venom)
    God exists.

The End.
    Sure convinced me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do appreciate that; can you reply to my comments?
    I'll reply to one:

I do know that the Bible is found to be so accurate that historians often use it as a source of evidence.
    This is simply not true. Much of the so-called history in the Bible is either not true, or true of a time or region different from that which is Bible says it is happening in. You should read The Greatest Lie Ever Told by W.H Uffington, in which the Biblical pretence to history is blown wide open. The latter part of the book in which much nonsense is written of other religions is to be ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    They do illustrate that, atheism is primarily a lack of belief and it is the way most atheists think. It's disingenuous to claim otherwise.
    Then you could have provided an example long ago. Instead I looked it up in dictionary which what I posted earlier.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/atheism
    noun
    the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
    disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Now lets get off what the definition of an obvious word is [since plenty of people who have claimed being atheist have said they do not believe in a god(s)] and get back to what your evidence for your belief is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by da_nolo)
    Then you could have provided an example long ago. Instead I looked it up in dictionary which what I posted earlier.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/atheism
    noun
    the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
    disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Now lets get off what the definition of an obvious word is [since plenty of people who have claimed being atheist have said they do not believe in a god(s)] and get back to what your evidence for your belief is.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Atheism is the absence of belief, not the active disbelief in deities. And once again, most atheists are agnostic atheists.

ReputationRep:
    I find various aspects of that wiki troublesome. I prefer not to get into a lengthy debate over it.

For simplistic reasons:
    a person believes in God
    does not believe in God/He does not exist
    or a person does not decide what to believe in.

the only person who is not making a claim is the person who is not making decision. does not know what to believe in. we can ask this person why they do not pertain to one side or another, but absurd that they need to proove themselves.

otherwise the statement that God does not exist adheres to the same standard as a person who does believe God exist. that's what makes it a debate, a conversation.

if anyone is unwilling to provide such. so be it.

ReputationRep:
    I find various aspects of that wiki troublesome. I prefer not to get into a lengthy debate over it.

For simplistic reasons:
    a person believes in God
    does not believe in God/He does not exist
    or a person does not decide what to believe in.

the only person who is not making a claim is the person who is not making decision. does not know what to believe in. we can ask this person why they do not pertain to one side or another, but absurd that they need to proove themselves.

otherwise the statement that God does not exist adheres to the same standard as a person who does believe God exist. that's what makes it a debate, a conversation.

if anyone is unwilling to provide such. so be it.
    Nobody is born into this world believing gods exist. They are, at the time of their birth, atheists. They have never even heard of gods. They cannot be theists as they don't understand the concept. Likewise, they are not agnostic fence-sitters. They are atheists.

They then either think of the concept for themselves and come to a conclusion, or (far, far more likely) they are indoctrinated into their parents' religion.

As they are educated properly and grow up they have a chance of abandoning all that superstitious stuff and becoming atheists once again, which is what is happening in the liberal western democracies outside the USA.

In the USA there is pressure to conform for reasons of patriotism, bizarrely, and fewer apostate themselves. In the Moslem world the pressures are rather more physical, while much of Asia and Africa don't educate the children adequately to give them a chance to learn to think with an open mind.

ReputationRep:
    No. an infant is at best unaware to the condition. this means they would be agnostic not an atheist.

Again, for simplicity either one believes in, does not believe in, or holds no position. an infant holds no position. an infant, by your own description can not hold a position.

Introduce a child to an equation and they may then possess an answer no matter how correct or incorrect. However, it is possible for a child to come to an equation on their own.

True. a child is introduced and indoctrinated into their parents' beliefs, whether religious or atheist. though some leave their childhood religion, it is due to a lack of education...not understanding their own religion, themselves, or the philosophical equation for God.

Worse, they listen those who think education or intelligence relies on an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Not so da nolo. Atheism is primarily the absence of belief, not an active disbelief. Just as most people lack belief in an infinite number of possible creatures and beings without actively disbelieving in them.

You are still ignoring the fact that agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive, the former is a position of knowledge. Once again, most atheists are agnostic atheists.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it is easier to believe that a God/Creator has always existed than it is to believe that everything required to make human life; like gravity, time, conciseness, emotion, matter, energy, all of the laws of physics etc. have always existed. In all honesty if you believe that nothing created the universe your belief is more far fetched than believing in a god/creator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReeceFraser)
    I think that it is easier to believe that a God/Creator has always existed than it is to believe that everything required to make human life; like gravity, time, conciseness, emotion, matter, energy, all of the laws of physics etc. have always existed. In all honesty if you believe that nothing created the universe your belief is more far fetched than believing in a god/creator.
    Who believes that nothing created the universe? By definition, nothing (the philosophical definition, as in the absence of literally everything, not the scientific definition) cannot create anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReeceFraser)
    ah I found out how to quote. anyways this would be an interesting concept to ponder over. has gravity always existed as it is/known to be or developed over time?

Anyways may you elaborate why it is easier; probability or thought of nothingness?

why would emotion have a role?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Not so da nolo. Atheism is primarily the absence of belief, not an active disbelief. Just as most people lack belief in an infinite number of possible creatures and beings without actively disbelieving in them.

You are still ignoring the fact that agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive, the former is a position of knowledge. Once again, most atheists are agnostic atheists.
    1. your description means same.

2. there needs to be a distinct difference between those whose stance is don't believe and those who don't have a stance. there is no other term to describe those who do not have a stance other than agnostic. if you know of another then please share. I will not use two terms with different definitions exclusively.

3. once again I have not been presented any information towards why a person would have an active disbelief in God.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    by definition, atheism is the active disbelief in God

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure there is no evidence for a God.

But certainly the gods of the major Monotheistic religions probably don't exist.

People believe due to indoctrination and culture.

ReputationRep:
    This post is lame. No one can prove or disclaim the evidence of God. We can't prove or deny what we don't know.

ReputationRep:
    by definition, atheism is the active disbelief in God

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No it isn't. It is the absence of belief in God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamuna10)
    This post is lame. No one can prove or disclaim the evidence of God. We can't prove or deny what we don't know.

Right just like you cant prove that all the other thousands of gods throughout history dont exist.Perhaps we should be bowing down to zeus right now in case he gets angry and decides to blow us apart with his thunderbolts.Or maybe hades he seems like a fun guy.Most of us are all atheists about all the other gods that have ever existed some of us just go one god further.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.