UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
[QUOTE=!MEna]It's Monday. Less than 48 hours to go.

Is it worth taking ear plugs to the exam? I've read about how annoying it is to concentrate while listening to others around you clicking away like crazy for the hazard perception test.[/QUOTE]

don't stresss out. I know its only 48 left, but this is probably the best time to relax! Just do a bit of light revision and calm yourself down! You don't want to end up overthinking the test. You've done loads of revision so let whatever be, be!

Good luck though and i'm sure you'll do brill!:yep: :yep:
Jiffy
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by luckystar23)
AHH!! my exam's tomorrow as well!! i've been ill this whole week and haven't been able to practice much for it and now my nose is running, my eyes are watering every 5 secs coz i feel like sneezing and I feel completely sluggish and my ears are not balanced because of pressure.. I don't know how i'm gonna do the exam!!!!! T.T I feel like rolling into bed and sleep for a few days. >.<'''
Anyways i was just wondering for the QR they would give you a calculator right? Am I allowed to bring in a tissue box?
And I heard that you get a small whiteboard to work on?? and the results are instant right?as in i finish the exam then i get the results? and are u suppose to finish ALL of the questions under time??coz I still can't do it!!! and right now i feel like i'm doing everything in slow motion eventho the time is ticking normally..
someone SAVE MEEEEE!!!!:no:
mate, if you were ill, you should've rescheduled your exam (you can do so for free, as long as you gave 48 hours notice), but its too late now.
ob.is.a.bit.good
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
It's Monday. Less than 48 hours to go.

Is it worth taking ear plugs to the exam? I've read about how annoying it is to concentrate while listening to others around you clicking away like crazy for the hazard perception test.
omg when i took my test the first time there was a woman sitting next to me who kept gasping every few seconds!! soooooooooooooooo annoying! i presumed she was taking the hazard perception and was ridiculously nervous/scared!
ob.is.a.bit.good
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
mines on september 3rd!!! hopefully third time will be the charm for me *_* -dies-
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Medicine Man)
don't stresss out. I know its only 48 left, but this is probably the best time to relax! Just do a bit of light revision and calm yourself down! You don't want to end up overthinking the test. You've done loads of revision so let whatever be, be!

Good luck though and i'm sure you'll do brill!:yep: :yep:
Ah I hope so. Thanks for wishing me luck and giving sound advice. :five:

So for those of you sitting it tomorrow too, how are you all feeling? Right now, I just want to get it out of the way. I'm feeling very nervous, anxious, and worried typically. I'm going to try and get an early night at 11. My test is at 2pm tomorrow but the centre is about 45 mins away from me so I'll be back at about 6'ish to let you all know how I've done and give advice to the rest of you who still await to sit it.
lotusx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm doing a practice test right now, but i've paused it because i'm starving just anxious, but i think it'll only really hit me tomorrow morning. and then i'll be like :O
are you taking earplugs/headphones? i heard that was the best thing to do because of people doing their theory tests and click-click-clicking away.
mine should be done by 4.30 but i'll probs be back around 5ish.
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lotusx)
i'm doing a practice test right now, but i've paused it because i'm starving just anxious, but i think it'll only really hit me tomorrow morning. and then i'll be like :O
are you taking earplugs/headphones? i heard that was the best thing to do because of people doing their theory tests and click-click-clicking away.
Yeah I've found some earplugs in a packet that were handed out on a flight so I'll be taking them just in case.

I don't know how I'm going to tackle the Verbal Reasoning to be honest. I've tried looking at the question first then skimming through the passage but I don't feel comfortable doing that for some reason even though it seems quicker. Then again, I don't fancy analysing a page of writing and only getting up to question 12/44 with half the time remaining.
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how are people finding the VR and QR hard? the AR is what really kills me...i'm desperately looking on amazon for any books on it...
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
Ah I hope so. Thanks for wishing me luck and giving sound advice. :five:

So for those of you sitting it tomorrow too, how are you all feeling? Right now, I just want to get it out of the way. I'm feeling very nervous, anxious, and worried typically. I'm going to try and get an early night at 11. My test is at 2pm tomorrow but the centre is about 45 mins away from me so I'll be back at about 6'ish to let you all know how I've done and give advice to the rest of you who still await to sit it.
Feeling much the same to be honest. I just want to get it out of the way now - I don't feel I can really do much more in the way of preparation or improving myself. I just want to get it done, and get the results so I can decide what to do next.
I find with VR, you just need to be really critical of the content of the text. Look out for different ways of saying the same thing, or negatives that can catch you out. I find it easier to read the statement then skim the passage to see whereabouts it is, then read carefully that section.
I am dreading QR and AR. Whatever links I see between shapes in AR always seem to be the wrong ones :unsure:
Mathematician!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The funny thing is that although my test is tomorrow, I have put off revision until today and I am still not doing it properly! I feel kind of stupid for doing so. However, I just can't push myself to do any work! And today I have a sore throat... Great.
Mathematician!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
how are people finding the VR and QR hard? the AR is what really kills me...i'm desperately looking on amazon for any books on it...
I am finding only the VR hard. Everything else looks simple (I hope it is simple, looks can be decieving! Wonder if that works with texts...)
Mathematician!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lotusx)
Tomorrow I will be annoyed by people doing the Hazard Perceptions test. The following day I will be annoying others while doing the Hazard Perceptions test! :yep:
Mathematician!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
Yeah I've found some earplugs in a packet that were handed out on a flight so I'll be taking them just in case.

I don't know how I'm going to tackle the Verbal Reasoning to be honest. I've tried looking at the question first then skimming through the passage but I don't feel comfortable doing that for some reason even though it seems quicker. Then again, I don't fancy analysing a page of writing and only getting up to question 12/44 with half the time remaining.
I did try reading the whole text once. I only got through around 30 of the questions before I had to start guessing. Then the test closed while I was on the Review page... That is why I quit revising on the first day I started doing it and decided to put it off until today...
badger stripes
Report 10 years ago
16 days to go ... quite a lot of days BUT!!

just attempted my first 30 question, 17 minutes quantitative reasoning. got a B in maths GCSE my only B and worst grade... havent taken maths at AS.

OMG! it took my an hour to do all the questions, and i only got 73% of them right!!! 22/30. I NEED A PLAN AND I NEED ONE NOW!!! HELP ANYONE!!!!!

... seriously depressed now.
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you using those questions from the official UKCAT site? The short test ones are achievable - the full test ones are ridiculously hard. I got an A* in GCSE Maths and gave up with the questions from the QR section in the full test.

I can't believe there's less than 24 hours left till I sit it. It all seems so final. I haven't done my preparation today at all either. It'll hit me at night that I'll have to get up in the morning and do it tomorrow. I'm soooo scared. I'm more scared about the UKCAT now than I was before sitting S1 and I was on the verge of throwing up at the thought of what permutations/combination questions would come up.
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is just basic maths! You do not need AS Maths because it is not the difficulty of the questions that is the problem (they were nowhere near as difficult on the real exam as on the website). The fact that you have to work so quickly, that is the issue.
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
good luck tomorrow everyone! relax if you can. theres no preperation you can do so just relax till tomorro and you'll be fine....
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm really sick of trying and getting rubbish scores. I just gave the Verbal Reasoning another go from the practise full-test specimen and got 19/44. I honestly don't know where I'm going wrong. I actually gave 37 questions a proper go and only guessed the last 7 with the minute I had left. I just don't know what to do now.
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
I'm really sick of trying and getting rubbish scores. I just gave the Verbal Reasoning another go from the practise full-test specimen and got 19/44. I honestly don't know where I'm going wrong. I actually gave 37 questions a proper go and only guessed the last 7 with the minute I had left. I just don't know what to do now.
I'm getting that feeling too. I'm so fed up of being so **** at QR and AR
I'm just going to tell myself that all I can do is try my best, and hope to god that it's good enough.
x.beth.x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
Awww !MEna :hugs:

You're probably just getting stressed in anticipation for tommorrow and the looming prospect of AS results. I know myself when I'm trying to do practice papers the day before a test I always seem to get everything wrong. If I were you I'd just relax tonight and go to bed early, perhaps have a final flick through your UKCAT advice book if you have one. Don't mark yourself on any more tests because whatever happens you are either going to do well and get cocky or do badly and feel less confident. Remember half the battle with the UKCAT is staying calm so try not to let the pressure get to you.

Don't forget it will all be over in a few days. Good luck - I hope you do well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads